•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Lady Macbeth teaches the readers how to deal with men.

Why do we women try to change our chaps, you ask? Because they need it!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... ed-it.html
They say you shouldn’t ever try to change a man. But, as Meghan Markle will testify, sometimes the temptation is impossible to resist.

Prince Harry’s bride-to-be is famous for her dedication to exercise and clean eating.

Indeed, she once ran a successful sub-Gwyneth Paltrow lifestyle blog.

Now, it seems, all her efforts are focused closer to home.

Not only has Harry joined an exclusive £575-a-month gym, he has also embraced vegetable smoothies and is replacing carbs and processed foods with ‘delicious’ alternatives such as kale and quinoa.

This is quite a feat: he was once described by fellow soldiers as ‘living off Kentucky Fried Chicken’.

When it comes to things like kale I’m afraid I’m rather with Mary Berry, who this week described it as ‘the stuff they used to feed horses’.

Still, you have to hand it to Meghan: Harry has already lost half a stone, which on his rangy frame is quite something, and is dressing more like a well-groomed hipster than a chubby Sloane.

Who knows, one day they may reveal the secrets of their perfect life to us mortals, perhaps in a bestselling recipe book, with a foreword by Pippa Middleton and moody black-and-white photos of them practising aerial yoga in the grounds of Kensington Palace.

Until then, we can only imagine the look of rapture on Harry’s face as he sits down to another delicious plate of courgetti spaghetti with gluten-free garlic bread.

It’s easy to mock, but there’s no doubt all men, no matter how outwardly perfect, require a little work, especially if they’ve been living as bachelors for a while.

When I first met my husband, I had to wean him off caramel lattes and tea with three sugars, not to mention his desire to fry everything in goose fat.

Of course, there are some things you can never change.

Even now, almost 20 years on, he still sets fire to his breakfast on a Sunday morning, happily consuming the charred results in the smouldering remains of the kitchen.

And who am I to deny him that privilege?

Besides, it’s not worth the fight. In that respect, men are a lot like teenage girls: you have to learn to pick your battles.

The secret is subtlety. If you confront a man head-on with a list of his failings, the shutters go down and you might as well be banging your head against a brick wall.

Act by stealth, dressing your demands up in flattery, and you’ll soon find you can nudge him ever-so-gently in the right direction.

It’s the difference between henpecking and lovingly nurturing — only with the same result: you get what you want.

Ultimately, that’s what most men want, too. Someone prepared to invest in them, see past their foibles, fix their faults and smooth their rough edges — all without damaging their ever-fragile egos.

That is why, if you really want to alter your man’s behaviour for his — and your — own good, you need to find a way of making him think it was all his own idea.

Because, as we know, a man’s idea is automatically ten times better than a woman’s. Even if they are exactly the same and she had it first.

That’s why I suspect Harry is actually quite happy knocking back kale smoothies instead of pints of lager.

Not only does it mean he gets to have a mighty fine-looking woman by his side; he knows she means it because she’s given up her Hollywood career for a life of shaking hands (or hugging in her case) and asking: Have you come far?

When you look at it that way, a few green smoothies seems a small price to pay.

Why Etonians still rule

According to former education secretary Justine Greening, Old Etonians ‘are not as impressive’ as other students with the same grades, because they’ve had all the educational advantages money can buy — and are therefore not necessarily the best option for employers.

Schoolgirl error, Justine. People don’t send their children to Eton so they can get the best A-levels.

They send them there so they can mix with the right class of people — and grow up to run the world, as is their God-given right.

You can be as thick as mince; but if you went to Eton you’ll always find some old bunk-mate who can sort you out with a job.

Like it or not, that’s how this country (still) works.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
All I get from that is a joined up message of "my husband and his friends are useless morons but they have connections so there".

By Arnold
Membership Days Posts
We need a people's vote on the NHS: SARAH VINE says a referendum will allow Britain to have a proper debate about health service funding
I've got a great idea for a slogan that could be painted on the side of a bus.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... -says.html
The Red Arrow, Watchman liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Charming. Perhaps Vine should have followed her advice and bought a dog.
If I could ever afford business, then I certainly wouldn’t waste it on my children. And I’m confident all that free champagne would quickly dull the nagging sense of guilt about inflicting my offspring on their fellow passengers in cattle class at the back.

Sarah's down with the street
London is in the grip of an epidemic of gun violence.

So what does Lily Allen, self-appointed campaigner for social justice, do? Why, wear a gold AK-47 necklace on stage at a music festival in the capital — the day after a promising young boxer, Oluwafemi Omosuyi, was shot in the face outside a primary school in Peckham.

Seriously, girl, you need to lay off the ketamine.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Judge us on our merit - not our colour or sexuality, says SARAH VINE
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... -VINE.html

They should take their place in the pantheon of greats safe in the knowledge that they have every right to be there — not because they are part of some punch-drunk exercise in virtue-signalling.

On Sunday night, I tuned in to the Antiques Roadshow for my weekend fix of gentle eccentricity.

Instead, I was subjected to a ‘feminist special’, conceived to mark 100 years of votes for women.

In itself, it wasn’t such a bad idea — if only everyone hadn’t been so impossibly pleased with themselves.

A succession of worthy females interviewed another succession of worthy females about a variety of not terribly interesting but worthy subjects connected to the suffragette cause.

It was the TV equivalent of a particularly tedious episode of Radio 4’s Woman’s Hour.

Meanwhile, on Twitter, a small storm was raging over an article by the American author Lionel Shriver accusing Penguin Random House of being ‘drunk on virtue’.

Penguin has undertaken to ensure that by 2025 their author list will be inclusive of ethnic minorities, working-class people, those with disabilities and, of course, the ever-expanding range of sexual proclivities operating under the LGBTQ etcetera banner.

The result, Shriver argued, was that a book ‘written by a gay transgender Caribbean who dropped out of school at seven’ would receive preferential treatment, regardless of ‘whether or not said manuscript is an incoherent, tedious, meandering and insensible pile of mixed-paper recycling’.

Ultimately, she concluded, ‘Penguin Random House no longer regards the company’s raison d’être as the acquisition and dissemination of good books’, putting box-ticking ahead of literary excellence.

As if that weren’t worrying enough, Mary Bousted, joint general secretary of the National Education Union, has attacked the school curriculum for being too focused on ‘dead white men’ such as Shakespeare, whom she described as an ‘intensely conservative writer who wrote a lot of the time to bolster the divine right of kings’.

To describe the Bard thus does make one wonder whether Ms Bousted — who is also an English teacher — has ever actually read a word he wrote.

But that’s not the point. With her phrase ‘drunk on virtue’, Shriver neatly and succinctly captures the prevailing mood of the moment.

A mood in which labels matter far more than substance and where success is not judged on talent, but by an ability to appease the right pressure groups.

And anyone who dares challenge this notion had better expect a kicking.

Shriver has now been dropped from the judging panel for a writing competition run by the women’s magazine Mslexia, which accused her of alienating ‘the very women we are trying to support’.

No doubt she will be replaced by some tiresome worthy, thus ensuring that the prize is won by someone suitably dull.

Because this is what happens when the virtue-signallers take over: originality of thought suffers.

Thus the exhibits selected for the female empowerment edition of Antiques Roadshow were not chosen for their intrinsic merits, but because of their right-on significance.

In the future, Penguin will not be famous for publishing the best writing, but merely the most politically correct.

And children risk missing out on one of England’s greatest dramatists simply because he happens to be male and white.

Of course, there are times when a little positive discrimination can help level an uneven playing field. But to see it in action on such an industrial scale — and in such vital arenas as literature, art and education — is totally chilling.

Not just because it risks hollowing out our cultural heritage and censoring years of history, but also because it won’t achieve the desired effect.

A second-rate writer doesn’t suddenly become world-class just because their face happens to fit the prevailing social mood. Conversely, timeless talent can emanate from the most unlikely sources.

Art should be judged blind. Caravaggio was a thief and a murderer, but it doesn’t make his painting any less sublime.

Wagner’s views on race were appalling, but his music is touched by genius. And are the films of Harvey Weinstein any less good (or bad) because of the sort of man he is? The answer, I’m afraid, is no.

The other thing I hate about all this is that it’s so incredibly patronising to those writers Penguin will choose.

Like all-women shortlists in politics, it doesn’t help create a more equal society, it simply implies that if you are a woman, you are not good enough to make it without special pleading.

Ethnic minorities, working-class people, those with disabilities, the LGBTQ community (to quote Penguin) all deserve better. They should be judged on their merits, not their differences.

They should take their place in the pantheon of greats safe in the knowledge that they have every right to be there — not because they are part of some punch-drunk exercise in virtue-signalling.

By MisterMuncher
Hmm. Not a million years ago, Shriver was well on the right-wing shit list, having said that she was there on the day Michael Stone shot up Milltown cemetery, and maybe the people who got shot didn't deserve it.

Strange bedfellows indeed.

(Not that I approve of Shriver's position. It smacks of pulling the ladder up behind her. Is the position of someone getting published as a diversity pick really much more tenuous than someone getting published because she had one really big hit a decade and a half ago, movie deal and all, but hadn't matched it since?)
By Andy McDandy
I have to admit that she does have a point. Several great films were only made because Harvey Weinstein backed them. Every other studio turned them down as they were seen as too great a risk. I still consider Kevin Spacey a great actor, Roman Polanski a great director. Shit human beings? Yes, but still great at their jobs.

As I've said before, it's always easier when your celeb pervs are a bit naff to start with.

By MisterMuncher
A hypothesis:

Vine and her ilk, and right on up to the hard-right all-white, don't really give a shit about diverse hiring or "affirmative action" because they know the gestures and actions are almost entirely token and won't really affect their status or employability.

They're carping on about it for another reason: so that when any non-default human succeeds in any field, they have a ready made excuse. It probably helps ease the cognitive dissonance being a fuckwitted bigot must bring if you know "they" only succeed because of "your" good grace.
Jeremy Corbyn.

... the likes of Laurie Penny, living that type […]

Labour, Generally.

Also worth remembering anti Iraq-war sentiment b[…]

Meanwhile in Turkey

Izmir is crying "foul!" Yes, bargains […]

The Trump Presidency

Holy fuck he just gets worse . As my gf said, in[…]