•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By AOB
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
The other day, keyworker (ha!) Piers travelled to his not at all frivolous TV studio presenting job to take the moral high ground over construction workers being at theirs. "Ask yourself" said Piers to the construction industry, "do you really need to be there?"

A question, of course, that could be validly put to himself.

By AOB
On his one-to-one celeb chat show he thinks of himself as some ace interviewer, of the people for the people. "I ask the questions YOU want to hear". From what I've seen it's trite shite. You can just imagine him interviewing Leonardo da Vinci if he was alive.

"You painted The Last Supper, so let me ask you this, Leonardo: Who is your favourite disciple?"

"Arguably your most famous work is Mona Lisa, and the female is said to be an Italian noblewoman by the name of Lisa del Giocondo so can you clear something up for us; snog, marry or avoid?"

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Spot-on Andy. Give the public what they've been told to be interested in, rather than what's in the Public Interest. It's served the gutter press, and the governments who cosy up to them, well for over a century.

By MisterMuncher
AOB wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:33 pm
The other day, keyworker (ha!) Piers travelled to his not at all frivolous TV studio presenting job to take the moral high ground over construction workers being at theirs. "Ask yourself" said Piers to the construction industry, "do you really need to be there?"

A question, of course, that could be validly put to himself.
I feel similarly about Beeb Radio Ulster's decision to extend the Nolan Show for the duration of the crisis "To help more people". Apart from helping social isolation by causing listeners to entirely lose faith in humanity, or keeping people in with spinal injuries after they cringe themselves inside out at any of his regular guests/callers take on proceedings, how is it helping?

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
MisterMuncher wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:59 pm
I feel similarly about Beeb Radio Ulster's decision to extend the Nolan Show for the duration of the crisis "To help more people". Apart from helping social isolation by causing listeners to entirely lose faith in humanity, or keeping people in with spinal injuries after they cringe themselves inside out at any of his regular guests/callers take on proceedings, how is it helping?
BiB: What in the actual fuck?

By Kreuzberger
I remember the interview he conducted with Charlie Kennedy. I was sat in a Transit Van in Dunkirk, straining for a Five Live signal and ordering a steak frîtes through the window with the owner of a restaurant that wanted to close up for the evening. It was compelling radio.

Every dog, eh?

By MisterMuncher
spoonman wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:24 pm
MisterMuncher wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:59 pm
BiB: What in the actual fuck?
Sorry, I lacked clarity. The show is to be longer each day. An extra half hour to find out what Jim Allister and George from The Shankhill think of it all.

Worth remembering it's scarce six weeks from he was flapping his gums at a doctor for being alarmist in recommending self-isolation.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
MisterMuncher wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:20 pm
Sorry, I lacked clarity. The show is to be longer each day. An extra half hour to find out what Jim Allister and George from The Shankhill think of it all.

Worth remembering it's scarce six weeks from he was flapping his gums at a doctor for being alarmist in recommending self-isolation.
Jesus titty-feckin christ. Folks across the water accustomed to his weekend shows on BBC R5L whom have never heard of his Radio Ulster output are likely unaware of how downmarket, tabloid thrash his local show is.

Nolan isn't fit to lick, let alone lace, the shoes of the late David Dunseith.

By AOB
spoonman wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:31 pm
MisterMuncher wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:20 pm

Jesus titty-feckin christ. Folks across the water accustomed to his weekend shows on BBC R5L whom have never heard of his Radio Ulster output are likely unaware of how downmarket, tabloid thrash his local show is.

Nolan isn't fit to lick, let alone lace, the shoes of the late David Dunseith.
It doesn't take a great stretch of the imagination, having heard his R5 show, it does veer that way at times. For me, just the thought of listening to a radio phone-in at the minute puts me on a downer. If people want to know the thoughts of Mike from Surrey and Julie from Nottingham well, each to their own, but my audio input at the minute is music all the way.

By Kreuzberger
07:30, Deutschland Funk
08:00, Today Programme
08:30, BBC World Service
09:00 -> Beddy-byes, Spotify with a dip in to the James O'Brien opening monologue to relieve the grinding techno.

That's about as much as I can really handle at the moment.

By Boiler
Kreuzberger wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:32 am
Many, many years ago (when Mrs. B. was alive) I had freshly restored a really rather lovely battery-powered valve radio and one night I decided to listen to it downstairs, in the dark, with Mrs. B. asleep on the sofa. I tuned around and found a wonderful classical music concert on DLF. Very strong and happy memories. Is DLF still on MW or has the great exodus of radio broadcasters from MW/SW continued in Germany?

By Zuriblue
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:39 am
Kreuzberger wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:32 am
Many, many years ago (when Mrs. B. was alive) I had freshly restored a really rather lovely battery-powered valve radio and one night I decided to listen to it downstairs, in the dark, with Mrs. B. asleep on the sofa. I tuned around and found a wonderful classical music concert on DLF. Very strong and happy memories. Is DLF still on MW or has the great exodus of radio broadcasters from MW/SW continued in Germany?
Unfortunately it looks like only FM or DAB.
https://www.deutschlandradio.de/index.m ... 97d714.pdf

Labour leader rivals asked to film victory speech[…]

You'd have thought with his brain pills he'd have […]

Meanwhile, in Hungary...

Zero. Poland would veto it.

C**t of the day

A few more contenders other than Tice in the ori[…]