•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Killer Whale
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Also in that column:
Cast your minds back to that defining day in 2007 when two community support officers stood by while ten-year-old Jordon Lyon drowned because they ‘lacked training in water rescue’.
Which we know is/was a lie. Good luck with your 'depression', Alison. But, speaking as someone from a family where clinical depression cascades down the generations, is suspect it's nothing more than middle class self-indulgence.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
But I do know that millions of us would like him to try. Preferably with a brigade of Gurkhas, led by Joanna Lumley, wielding machetes.
Machetes! WTF? These are the right type of Asian, aren't they?

I keep getting the impression the Gurkhas had been settled here on good pensions until Gordon Brown threw them out.
By Andy McDandy
Cock off, Pearson. Cock cocking off.

Right, time for a bit of fact. I am mentally ill. I get infuriated by anyone who says "I'm mad, me!" because 1). it usually means you're a wee bit overweight and own one too many cats and 2). you have a crushing lack of genuine personality. I'm actually mad. Bona fide, wiring all wrong, stone bonker. Hope you don't think any less of me for saying that.

What she's saying is that in her opinion, madness (depression being a sub-category of that) has now suddenly become socially acceptable, even aspirational. Now that's cocking crazy. "Oh well, my psychiatrist cost X amount...". Cock off. "I feel so ashamed about admitting this". Yeah, so that's why you're doing so in a national newspaper.

Bugger off, Pearson. The only decent thing about you is the fact that you look like a quite dirty bit of posh totty, and probably love it two times up the bum. If only you could write a piece about it afterwards. Imagine my face and then imagine how it looks when I'm balls-deep in your ass. With your approval of course.
By Fflaps
As an actual depressive who has lost far too much time to the black dog and will be on medication probably for the rest of my life, I agree with you 100%. OK, it's a good thing mental illness is more accepted and more people get the help they need. But it's absolutely not something aspirational and I would also venture that if she was really in the grip of true depression she wouldn't have written this article as she'd be too busy staring at the walls and being totally empty.

By MisterMuncher
Is self-diagnosis of depression by navel-gazing, self-pitying newspaper columnists just the new self-diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome by geeky, anti-social types? A nice way to behave exactly how you want, and fully indulge the less attractive elements of your personality ("aided" by medical knowledge gained from watchiong Doctors and Casualty, rather than any real study, natch), but blame it on something else?

By Esqui
MisterMuncher wrote:Is self-diagnosis of depression by navel-gazing, self-pitying newspaper columnists just the new self-diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome by geeky, anti-social types? A nice way to behave exactly how you want, and fully indulge the less attractive elements of your personality ("aided" by medical knowledge gained from watchiong Doctors and Casualty, rather than any real study, natch), but blame it on something else?
^This. People without depression get sad sometimes, but you'd never guess...
By shyamz
Membership Days Posts
Fflaps wrote:As an actual depressive who has lost far too much time to the black dog and will be on medication probably for the rest of my life, I agree with you 100%. OK, it's a good thing mental illness is more accepted and more people get the help they need. But it's absolutely not something aspirational and I would also venture that if she was really in the grip of true depression she wouldn't have written this article as she'd be too busy staring at the walls and being totally empty.
Absolutely, it is so insulting and trivializing to treat mental health in such a way.

But it is so fashionable these days to be in any sort of mind therapy (in fact it seems to have been the done thing for quite a while now) that women like her will turn even the most mundane emotional molehill into a gigantic mental mountain, all for the sake of a "my therapy is costing this much" story to tell at the next wankish dinner party they attend.

It is like someone aspiring to Bipolar because they think it goes hand in hand with creativity and artistic success.
If they -heaven forfend- were to suffer from it, they would soon see just how awful a condition it is, and how socially debilitating it can be.

Ignorant, vile little people. I hate that woman, and her mate Jones.
By shyamz
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:Cock off, Pearson. Cock cocking off.
Bugger off, Pearson. The only decent thing about you is the fact that you look like a quite dirty bit of posh totty, and probably love it two times up the bum. If only you could write a piece about it afterwards. Imagine my face and then imagine how it looks when I'm balls-deep in your ass. With your approval of course.
"quite dirty bit of posh totty"?..really? I've seen her photo, I always thought she looked like Caspar the Friendly Ghost would if he tried eating beetroots out of a jar with no hands.

But I digress, don't worry, we aren't the type to think any less of someone for having mental issues. We're all mates here. :)

By Abernathy
shyamz wrote:
"quite dirty bit of posh totty"?..really? I've seen her photo, I always thought she looked like Caspar the Friendly Ghost would if he tried eating beetroots out of a jar with no hands.
Hmmmm. Don't quite see it, meself .

By Mailydail
shyamz wrote:
Fflaps wrote:As an actual depressive who has lost far too much time to the black dog and will be on medication probably for the rest of my life, I agree with you 100%. OK, it's a good thing mental illness is more accepted and more people get the help they need. But it's absolutely not something aspirational and I would also venture that if she was really in the grip of true depression she wouldn't have written this article as she'd be too busy staring at the walls and being totally empty.
Absolutely, it is so insulting and trivializing to treat mental health in such a way.

But it is so fashionable these days to be in any sort of mind therapy (in fact it seems to have been the done thing for quite a while now) that women like her will turn even the most mundane emotional molehill into a gigantic mental mountain, all for the sake of a "my therapy is costing this much" story to tell at the next wankish dinner party they attend.

It is like someone aspiring to Bipolar because they think it goes hand in hand with creativity and artistic success.
If they -heaven forfend- were to suffer from it, they would soon see just how awful a condition it is, and how socially debilitating it can be.

Ignorant, vile little people. I hate that woman, and her mate Jones.
Who the hell aspires to have bipolar disorder?? Dearie me.

I assume no one here knows Alison Pearson personally or has any particular insight into the state of her mental health. So how you can you all categorically state she's not depressed? One person condescending called it "middle-class indulgence". The implication being "middle-class people" cannot suffer from depression? I would have thought that prolonged exposure to mental health difficulties might have taught some of you a degree of compassion and understanding...

By Pugwash
Membership Days Membership Days
I have known people with clinical depression and they couldn't function properly. They couldn't just 'pull themselves together' and they weren't just a 'bit down' . Of course I don't know Pearson's mental state and I am not a psychiatrist but on reading that article I don't come to the conclusion that she had a clinical depression.

"My story is no different from any other Sandwich Woman. For a time, my mum was seriously ill, I ran into gynaecological problems, I fell badly behind with a novel I was writing, and I felt so bad I was letting people down that I didn’t have the self-confidence to finish it. "

She was struggling with life, illness and a career and it no doubt had an effect on her health to some degree. But depression? I don't think so.
'sandwich women :roll: ' may be able to identify with her but people with genuine depression, no.

As an Englishman, I can't argue with any of that. […]

Makes me laugh the way banks like Nationwide (with[…]

The Trump Presidency

With the election just over 18 months off, the Dem[…]

Mark Francois MP

Stupidity is the achilles heel of liberal democrac[…]