Discussion of article from the Mail's columnists and RightMinds contributors
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Fozzy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I never thought Princess Diana was the living saint depicted after her death, but I have to say I can't recall seeing her on television repeatedly spitting racist abuse into the face of another woman. What is comparable, however, is the way that, after her death, the papers artfully forgot about all the column inches they had devoted to slagging her off, in just the same way as they are doing with Jade Goody.
By Dufrain
Membership Days Membership Days
Fozzy wrote:I never thought Princess Diana was the living saint depicted after her death, but I have to say I can't recall seeing her on television repeatedly spitting racist abuse into the face of another woman. What is comparable, however, is the way that, after her death, the papers artfully forgot about all the column inches they had devoted to slagging her off, in just the same way as they are doing with Jade Goody.
I feel you may have exaggerated a bit here, I remember a "Shilpa Poppadom" comment but nothing else vaguely racial about it. At the very worst that is ignorant which she very famousy is.

Without being seen to be defending her too much surely you have fallen into that trap the papers set the first time of blaming the stupid ugly one when the pretty ones had done the damage; I seem to recall (from Screenwipe) one of them saying something along the lines of "I think she should fuck off home" then getting away with it because she went on a talk show afterwards and claimed to have black friends!

By Dan Widdecombe
Fozzy wrote:I never thought Princess Diana was the living saint depicted after her death, but I have to say I can't recall seeing her on television repeatedly spitting racist abuse into the face of another woman. What is comparable, however, is the way that, after her death, the papers artfully forgot about all the column inches they had devoted to slagging her off, in just the same way as they are doing with Jade Goody.
I've got to question whether you actually saw the programme in question? The only comment which could be interpretated as racist was the "Shilpa Poppadom" comment which was more Juvenile than knowingly racist. What I saw was fellow contestants (Shilpa being amongst the worst) and the media taking every opportunity to mock 'Jade the Chav'!.

Jade was childish, sometimes agressive and would rise to the bait easily yet would find difficulty articulating herself, but thats all. The supposed public 'outcry' over racism was little different to the Ross/Brand situation. If the general public and the media actually gave a shit about racism they would be protesting about the The Mail wouldn't they?! (Also compare the complaint figures for that episode of BB to complaints lodged for the broadcast of the BNP advertsiments!)

Truth is, this was an opportunity to bash what many deemed the face of Britains 'underclass'. Uneducated, loud and vulgar, a mixed race and absent father, raised on benefits in a one parent household, alcoholic mother, father dead from a drugs OD etc Jade came from a very troubled and difficult background and unfortunately for her she unknowingly became the real life Vicky Pollard (a character dreamt up by two smug middleclass gradutes), someone to laugh at, someone to mock and insult.

The whole situation told me nothing about the public's view of racism but did reaffirm for me that classism runs very deep in this country.
By Carousel
I remember Jackiey, Jack, Danielle and Jo being far worse than Jade.Jade got the worse treatment.

Jackiey was quite horrible to Shilpa and Danielle insinuated to Jade that it was "that indian" who got Jackiey kicked out the house. Jack referred to Shilpa as a "paki". Jo and Danielle had a mean conversation about Shilpa from what I remember and Jo said something about Indians undercooking their food and being sick all the time.

Actually Danielle Jack and Jackiey were the worst.
By Fozzy
Her racism extended to "Shilpa Fuckawallah", and at the time I thought she also had to bear responsibility because in essence she was the leader; the others were to an extent playing up to what they perceived kept them in with her. I think that perhaps what I really hated were the episodes where Jade turned on Shilpa, manufacturing excuses to manufacture disputes out of trivial matters and shouting, bullying and abusing her, and egging the others on to follow her lead.
By horacegoesskiing
God that Pearson thing is annoying. Lower down the story we have
Question: You feel an urgent need to remove the Schools Secretary from his post. What would you use to do this?

a. A ruler over the knuckles;

b. Oil at 150 degrees Centigrade;

c. A general election.
I don't know but wouldn't it be fun to pour oil at 150 degrees centigrade over Ms Pearson? I wonder what would happen?

By hilaryf
Membership Days
Allison Pearson really hates greetings cards which say "f**k", "c**t" and "sl*t".

I assume, but don't know, that she equally hates greetings cards which say "sp**k", "h***y m**t c*****ns" and "c*m b****t".

http://hilaryfortnum.co.uk/index.php?op ... 9&Itemid=2
By liberalharpie
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... ng-no.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Allison Pearson says that it was Ashleigh Hall's mother's fault that she was murdered. Apparently she should have told her daughter that she was fat and no good looking guy in his right mind would have wanted her.

What is it with Fail columnists and blaming mothers for their daughter's deaths instead of, y'know, blaming the murderers?
By storygirl
Membership Days Posts
liberalharpie wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... ng-no.html

Allison Pearson says that it was Ashleigh Hall's mother's fault that she was murdered. Apparently she should have told her daughter that she was fat and no good looking guy in his right mind would have wanted her.

What is it with Fail columnists and blaming mothers for their daughter's deaths instead of, y'know, blaming the murderers?
Jesus,yeah what kind of mother doesnt take her daughter aside and say"you know you are a bit of a dog,i think this guy might be dodgy"

By ManicMiner
Andrea, of all people, should have wondered what a handsome hunk saw in her plump, kindly daughter. She should have been suspicious and downright disapproving.
I don't know, I think she has a point here. A guy in that pic probably wouldn't have shown an interest and her Mother would have known that. Yes, its fucking appalling to think it, its all very sad, but I do think she has a point.

If you were a young girl and your fugly mate was being chatted up on FB by a hunk then you'd be asking about the legitimacy of it too.

No, her mother didn't kill her, but she could have protected her a little more (assuming she knew what was going on)
By Fozzy
But the reality is that if the daughter didn't want to hear it, she would have paid no attention, and the mother wouldn't have been able to prevent her going out. If she'd pushed her into checking him out more, I suspect he would have been adept at providing some sort of false verification which would have satisfied the daughter at least. If she'd tried to persuade her daughter to take someone with her it would have been doomed to failure - who takes their best mate or their mum with them to meet a new boyfriend, especially if they think they're going to sleep with him? At the end of all that process, her last memory of her daughter would probably be her stamping out of the house after an almighty row.

It seems to me that Alison Pearson is really being typically after-the-event smug and prescriptive about other people's parenting without applying her mind to the reality of this. It's particularly cruel given that the mother is inevitably torturing herself enough about all this.

By ManicMiner
Bit of a generalisation.

Its unlikely a good looking guy will actively pursue a not-so good looking chick on facebook (while sober) if all he wants is a shag (especially if he knows his mates will take the piss). He could find meaningless sex in a nightclub.

By tc-obo
If her uncle was a woman she'd be her aunt. It's easy to say something after the fact but like Fozzy says even if mum had said something like 'here love, you're a mong, what's he doing chasing you? Bet he's a rapist murderer' then I doubt daughter would have had much to say beyond 'get bent you jealous old bint, I'm going anyway'.

It's a funny old world where the Government is m[…]

Germany's Heute Show has another look at Brexit af[…]

Mark Francois MP

Hadn't seen him for a week. I assumed either he[…]

The Brexit Party

Either the YouGov poll yesterday was a massive […]