Discussion of article from the Mail's columnists and RightMinds contributors
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
At last, hard evidence that can't be ignored: Immigration is reducing jobs for British workers and David Cameron must act now

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... z1j8mQ0iDg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MAC has provided the Prime Minister with the evidence he needs to get a grip on immigration.

The question is: will he take it?
There is far more evidence suggesting James Slack should be put down for the national good and given Cameron the evidence he needs.

The question is: will he act on it? Because asking "Will he take it?" in this instance is grammatically incorrect and makes you look like a fucking five year old.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Anyone had a proper look at the report? I imagine a lot of the non-EU immigrants are spouses- it's very common for Pakistanis and Bangldeshis to marry abroad, for example. And, because the population is much bigger, the white population probably marry abroad even more- Mail readers and mail-order brides, for example. There's been talk about increasing the salary you need to marry a "foreigner". Quite a reduction in freedom. But "acting", indeed.

There are also successful applicants for asylum. Is Cameron to "act" by stopping all that humanitarian stuff?

Cameron's "acting" on the economy has of course not cost anyone their job.

No doubt falling numbers of students (paying big fees, and subsidising higher education for us) will be hailed as "acting" too.

I expect the report looks at these things. The Mail won't.

By Tubby Isaacs
Elected judges- can't see the problem with that, can you? I bet Slack's always red hot on accountability to elected politicians. Heads of academy chains and all.

The FT had some rubbish about how the "liberal establishment" didn't take into account bombs might get let off "in cities" by some of the people they support. Because of coure it's not possible to keep people under surveillance or anything like that. That of course costs money and effort, so a nuisance. But not quite handing the bloke a bomb.
By Fozzy
That reference to unelected judges does seem to be a dog whistle about which no journalist ever seems to expend much thought. I can recall reading an article about how judicial candidates in the US go round all the right-wing groups promising 500 year sentences for burglary, and canvass in the dodgier areas by saying how they're in favour of light sentences. God forbid that that system ever comes into force in the UK.
Eric Pickles slams council bosses' pay, but is anyone listening?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... z1nyNZNmTJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric Pickles, that great raging bull of the Tory party, is furious. Again.

As is usual, he has every right to be on the war path.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Messianic Trees wrote:Eric Pickles slams council bosses' pay, but is anyone listening?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... z1nyNZNmTJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric Pickles, that great raging bull of the Tory party, is furious. Again.

As is usual, he has every right to be on the war path.
Bull?

When I think of Eric, I picture a different kind of farm animal.
When I see his words I'm back at Bull.
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
This Eric Pickles?

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2011/12/p ... chief-pay/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric Pickles, for whom lambasting councils for supposedly wasteful spending is a stock in trade, has paid his department’s interim finance chief nearly £600,000 for only 16 months work.

The department’s permanent secretary revealed the shocking figure — more than £36,000 per month — to a committee of MPs described as “speechless” by LGC’s Alistair Hayman. Sir Bob Kerslake attempted to defend the salary of Stephen Park, hired from PFI kings Capita:

“Clearly, however large that figure is – and I don’t want to suggest it isn’t a large figure – the consequence of not running our finances in a sound way would have been far greater”

This will be difficult to swallow for councils across the country, who have frequently been on the end of Pickles’ criticisms of their spending. As recently as May of this year, he was denouncing a “culture of wild overspends” in local authorities.

“Do as I say, not as I do.”
Why using private firms could help the Police get more bobbies on the beat

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... z1oFuDSxKi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If, by paying private firms to do the back office jobs, we free more police to get their feet out on the pavement, forces should be free to get on with it. No matter how much Labour and the BBC wails.
By mojojojo
Membership Days Posts
I can see no bleating here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17242956

Although I realise that for Slack, 'bleating' means not being a Tory mouthpeice. Actually, I doubt he even knows how the BBC reported it, he just stuck in a stock phrase.
Red Tape UK: How the Coalition is choking our businesses

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... z1piSIOjxB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After the blizzard of employment laws forced upon small and medium-sized firms under Labour, which are suffocating chances of economic growth, the Coalition promised to help Britain’s small businesses.

David Cameron vowed to create a 'new economic dynamism' and decreed a 'forensic, relentless focus on growth'.

But with the Chancellor's third Budget today, the Government's rhetoric has yet to be matched by its actions.

Inevitably, much of the blame for the Government's failure to help business lies with the tensions between the two Coalition partners.

The Lib Dems are passionate supporters of the EU, and fiercely oppose attempts to slash Brussels red-tape. The party is also committed to 'worker rights'.

Tory attempts to make it easier for firms to get rid of lazy and unproductive workers, following the findings of a report commissioned by ministers which recommended radical reform of employment laws to help economic growth, have been hampered by constant battles with Lib Dem Business Secretary Vince Cable.
You'll be excited to hear that the "Coalition's catalogue of red tape" includes such evils as:
National minimum wage increase

Despite the parlous state of the economy, the minimum wage — a flagship Labour policy — went up from £5.93 to £6.08 per hour for adults. Employers' leaders called it 'the wrong increase at the wrong time' and said it was a 'barrier to job creation'. The minimum wage is uprated annually.

Bribery Act

Places onerous new rules on business over the giving and receiving of gifts, hospitality, entertainment and other payments — at home and abroad. Business leaders say smaller firms, faced with costly, time-consuming and complex procedures, will no longer be able to explore new markets.
Also included is something the Mail has previously trumpeted as a good idea:
Immigration cap

Number of work permits available to skilled non EU-workers fixed at 21,700 per annum. Policy is supported by campaign groups who want to bring migrant numbers under control, but disliked by businesses, who say it is bureaucratic and restricts their access to skilled labour and makes recruitment harder.
By satnav
So to summarise Slacks argument, the best way to produce growth is to treat workers like shit. If you make it easier to sack people or reduce the rights of agency workers ultimately it will be the tax payer who is left to pick up the bill through Job seekers allowance and other benefits.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Of course they agree. Because it's not them affect[…]

The Tories, Generally

https://twitter.com/RalfLittle/status/119689848163[…]

The LibDems, generally

That reminds me of Rick Spleen's vague plans for […]

Nigel Farage

I'm sure Sgt Major Williams will be along to comme[…]