Discussion of article from the Mail's columnists and RightMinds contributors
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
We haven’t had a bearded PM since Lord Salisbury around 120 years ago. Now building group Mears has banned employees from growing beards for health and safety reasons. For our health and safety, we must vote Tory next week.

Non sequitur of the week.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Fill yer boots!
'It took 10 years off my face': Revolutionary treatment blasts brown 'sun spots' from midlife tanning fans (and the results are permanent)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... z4j7UoERWo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sodium-lit-suburb, Ridings, United Kingdom, 11 hours ago
I don¿t mean to be discourteous, but which photo is before and which after?

mojo1945, Southampton, Spain, 1 hour ago
I must need to go to specsavers as I can't see any brown spots on the before photo! The after photo looks like she's got make-up on.

ladyjbritish, NC, United States, 1 hour
Atalk about emperors new clothes.

dnarb, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2 hours ago
Ha ha - the level of self-deception! There is no difference between before and after!

Couldn't change her personality though

Orinoco, Next Door, United Kingdom, moments ago
So all they did was change the lighting? Not an attractive woman to start with.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Cheers Amanda I feel better knowing you've got my back
From Little Big Lies to Broadchurch and Doctor Foster to Fearless, why do the makers of TV dramas hate men?

From Little Big Lies to Broadchurch, Doctor Foster to Fearless, I can't think of a single successful recent drama where the man is not cast as a psycho, a killer, a sadist, an adulterer or a wife beater.

I am not in any way diminishing the horror and seriousness of rape, but how disappointing that a drama with such potential descended into yet another male-hating diatribe.

Men deserve better than that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4uoYg2O13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Her misogyny seeping through; Women are right bitches as well they sleep with men I want to sleep with and flutter their eyelashes to get jobs I wanted.
By satnav
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Looks like Amanda is indulging in a bit of victim blaming.

Harvey Weinstein scandal shames Hollywood actresses who kept quiet to profit from his power

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... z4vWUJP878" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
The chorus of disgust over Harvey Weinstein’s lascivious and predatory behaviour is deafening.
Hollywood’s greatest stars, and many of its minor ones, are falling over themselves to denounce the monster who has now been accused of rape by four women.
Among the latest to tear into him is Kate Beckinsale who said he tried the old ‘meet me in my hotel room in my dressing gown’ trick with her when she was just 17. She declined his offers of alcohol, she added, saying she had school in the morning. Standing up to Weinstein ‘harmed my career’, she claimed.
Isn’t it surprising, then, that Kate went on to make three major movies with Weinstein after the bathrobe incident which took place around 1990 — Serendipity in 2001, The Aviator in 2004 and Everybody’s Fine in 2009.
Another of Weinstein’s alleged victims was Gwyneth Paltrow. She was so mortified after he tried to bed her aged 22 that she agreed to make Emma soon afterwards in 1996, The Pallbearer in the same year, then Sliding Doors in 1998.
In all she made at least nine Weinstein movies, and after her successes with his company, the New York Times crowned her the ‘First Lady of Miramax’ (his company).
Supermodel-turned-actress Cara Delevingne claims he demanded a threesome in his hotel suite — yet she took a star part in his movie Tulip Fever.
I could fill a telephone directory with the names of Hollywood actresses and wannabes who now claim they were sexually harassed or worse by Weinstein, yet kept quiet about it as they continued to take his shilling and profit from his power.
Bond girl Lea Seydoux told this week for the first time how Weinstein tried to jump on her and kiss her — back in 2012, she thinks. Why did it take her so long to speak out?
Even B-listers are at it. Myleene Klass says Weinstein propositioned her, offering her a ‘sex contract’ in 2010. So why is she only naming him now, seven years on?
The great unanswered question in this sordid affair is how could this beast have preyed for so long on so many strong, multi-million-dollar Hollywood actresses without one of them breaking ranks?
Why only now do we have a stampede of stars declaiming the monster that Weinstein surely is?
The ghastly truth may be that it suited them to stay silent. They valued their box office earnings and star status more than their integrity or their duty to other young women.
I would argue that with their silence they colluded in his activities — enabling him to continue to paw and grope and harass and abuse women for decades when they could have shamed him. This sorry saga has not been a good advert for the sisterhood, however much they might scream about Weinstein now.
Perhaps Platell could explain why no female journalists at the Mail ever publicly complains about the foul mouthed antic of Paul Dacre.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Blimey. Can't believe Dacre let this through. The Right have been going after Brendan Cox for a while now and are absolutely revelling in this so this is a bit of an odd one.

Unless, and this is really quite cynical, it's a veiled attempt at more victim blaming and/or playing down sexual harresment?

AMANDA PLATELL: My friend Brendan Cox is not some Weinstein-like sex fiend - if anyone deserves a second chance he does
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... hance.html

The first time I met Brendan Cox was last June when we both appeared on the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show.

I spent nearly an hour with him and his two small children, Cuillin and Lejla, in the green room, and was so inspired by this loving little family I wrote about them in my column.

Their chatter was peppered with so many references to ‘Mummy’ you’d have thought she was waiting for them all at home. A year earlier, the Labour MP Jo Cox had been murdered in the street.

Since then I have come to know Brendan and his children through his charity work for the Jo Cox Foundation and More In Common, which he set up after her death.

I was deeply shocked to learn yesterday that Brendan, 39, had resigned from both his cherished charities after allegations of inappropriate sexual behavior said to have taken place while Jo was still alive.

Clearly, I don’t condone what he did if the allegations are true, but it is not the conduct of the man I have come to know.

Crushed by guilt, Brendan has apologised and accepted that his behaviour – which he says was playful rather than predatory – was inappropriate. He added: ‘That doesn’t mean I’m innately a bad person or that it’s not possible to learn from my mistakes.’

And that, surely, is the point. If anyone deserves a second chance, it is Brendan Cox.

Who among us can comprehend what it must be like to carry on raising two little children on your own, surrounding them with love and security after their mother has not just died, but been brutally – and so senselessly – murdered.

I cannot speak for Brendan’s character before Jo’s death, I can only attest to it since the ghastly events of June 16, 2016.

We are the unlikeliest of friends, he a committed Labour man, me a lifelong Conservative. Yet what I see in him is a devoted father who has almost miraculously managed to give Cuillin, seven, and Lejla, five, a happy life.

They are adorable, inquisitive, vivacious kids, which in itself speaks for Brendan’s character.

It must take guts beyond imagining for him just to get out of bed every day, to mask his own sorrow and go on living and loving the little ones.

After Jo’s murder, nothing was ever allowed to interfere with Brendan’s role as a father. Parents’ nights, camping holidays together, picking the kids up from school – they always took priority over everything. His diary was – and is – arranged around his children.

But Brendan also started up two charities in Jo’s name. I suspect that’s partly what kept him going. The last time I saw him and the children together was a few weeks ago at a reception to thank those who had helped launch the Jo Cox Loneliness Commission, which resulted in Theresa May appointing a loneliness minister.

It was a cause close to Jo’s heart. Their two children munched pizza and mixed with the great and the good, who had gathered not just to support the cause but the man who had created it, before they were sent off to bed.

For make no mistake, since Jo’s death Brendan has been a powerful and effective campaigner.

Hundreds of thousands gathered last year for the Great Get Together – which he organised to combat loneliness – where people extended the hand of friendship to strangers at street parties picnics and other events throughout the country.

That night Brendan was feted. Yet overnight, his world has changed and he has been forced out of the charities for which he did such good work. While you might expect me to be outraged by these accusations, I’m not.

My main feeling is one of sadness – for Brendan and his two small children. He has apologised, he’s admitted he behaved badly.

No one has died.

No one, that is, apart from Jo Cox. Hasn’t this family suffered enough? Brendan is not some Weinstein-like sex fiend. He is, like many men and women, someone who made mistakes.

But in these febrile times where victimhood rules and women are bent on bringing erring men down, that seems not to matter.

And the tragedy is that it will be a far poorer world if we lose Brendan’s campaigning voice.

The Mailites aren't having it.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
PLATELL'S PEOPLE: Mask slips for the oh-so perfect Firths
He, the righteous Remainer and Oscar-winning actor. She, his Italian wife, a successful film producer, eco-warrior, Oxfam ambassador and member of the #MeToo set

Remainer. Italian. Eco-warrior. Oxfam. #MeToo.
Bingo!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... z59LuT6X69
By satnav
Platell proving once again why she never had much success as a political adviser.
Westminster wars...

+ HOME Secretary Amber Rudd rubber-stamped the deal giving a French firm the contract to make Britain’s new blue passports. She didn’t see the names of the bidders and chose on the recommendation of her civil servants. Such sensitive decisions should be made by our elected representatives, not unelected mandarins who have their own often anti-British, pro EU political agenda.

+ HARRIET Harman wants candidates for the next Labour leadership election to come from a women-only shortlists, just as there are calls within the party to allow men transitioning to women to be included on such lists. So blokes can join the race after all — as long as they pop on a bit of lippy and false eyelashes.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... z5Ah2EvNG3
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

By AOB
Arnold wrote:PLATELL'S PEOPLE: Mask slips for the oh-so perfect Firths
He, the righteous Remainer and Oscar-winning actor. She, his Italian wife, a successful film producer, eco-warrior, Oxfam ambassador and member of the #MeToo set
"#Me to set"? Whatever happened to brigades?! There should be a "bring back brigades" brigade.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
AOB wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:46 pm
Arnold wrote:PLATELL'S PEOPLE: Mask slips for the oh-so perfect Firths
"#Me to set"? Whatever happened to brigades?! There should be a "bring back brigades" brigade.
I know times are tight, but you'd think they'd manage a Regiment at the very least

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
satnav wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:42 pm
Platell proving once again why she never had much success as a political adviser.
Secretary Amber Rudd rubber-stamped the deal giving a French firm the contract to make Britain’s new blue passports. She didn’t see the names of the bidders and chose on the recommendation of her civil servants. Such sensitive decisions should be made by our elected representatives, not unelected mandarins who have their own often anti-British, pro EU political agenda.
Give her a regular column; Platell on procurement-There's no start to her expertise. Manda does sound a bit chipper lately. Perhaps she pulled Brendan Cox at a party despite the cold shoulder from Colin Firth.
The Tories, Generally

https://twitter.com/simonapcliff/status/1197297725[…]

2019 General Election

Here's how you do it, journo's... https://twitter[…]

Newsnight

https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/11972329610[…]

The LibDems, generally

holds out hope of govt of national unity To be […]