Discussion of article from the Mail's columnists and RightMinds contributors
:shit: 100 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
JAN MOIR: It’s insulting to say Prince Harry and Wills are dim dolts who can’t think for themselves
Old lives have a nasty habit of encroaching on new lives; the dread spectre of the past a-gorging at the wedding feast.

And in Meghan’s case, there has been no shortage of attempts to sabotage her big day.
In the long run, none of this froth damages Meghan Markle. But what does drive me insane is the endless, weary insistence by some that she is on the make; an unfeeling schemer who had long plotted to marry Harry before she even met him.
:roll:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... -MOIR.html

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Different editor. Same targets.

Amal, the greatest citizen on Earth? Oh, puh-lease! JAN MOIR on George Clooney's human rights lawyer wife being made United Nations Global Citizen of the Year
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... -Year.html
Heaven knows how Amal Clooney manages to fit in all that ol' humanitarian work between flitting from party to ball to royal wedding to high-profile wimmin's conferences to couture fittings to speechifying at eminent gatherings to organising the Met Ball to film festivals to dinner with Harry and Meghan to wowing the crowds at red-carpet events, but she does.

And she does it to such an extent that she has just been made Global Citizen of the Year by the United Nations Correspondents Association (UNCA).

Yes, I know. Hard to think of a more meaningless gong bestowed upon a less deserving subject — it's not like she needs the fame or the career boost — but that didn't stop our girl embracing the moment with the kind of noble zeal and lightly worn suffering that makes Angelina Jolie appear like a blushing bride.

With her Hollywood husband George on her arm, Amal attended the ceremony in New York on Wednesday (pictured).

As usual, she blazed away in one of her extravagant gowns (a £5,000 number called the Strappy Sweetheart) and Cecil B.

De Mille levels of expertly applied maquillage. As the couple walked up this red carpet of global smug, their carefully burnished humility must have been visible from Mars.

Look at them! Their every good thought praised, their every charitable inclination rewarded, their very presence a kind of benediction upon us lesser folk. What is it like being them?

For thousands of ordinary people do good works out of compassion and a sense of duty alone. They don't expect to be publicly rewarded or honoured for their efforts, which is just as well.

It is they, not the Hollywood elite, who are putting in the hard yards in refugee camps and homeless shelters — or, like 18,000 quietly heroic Mail readers who have signed up to our Christmas campaign, giving up their precious time to volunteer in hospitals, just out of the goodness of their hearts.

Around the globe you will find Mr and Mrs Joe Soap comforting the downtrodden in grotty hotspots, without the prospect of relief or a five-course gala dinner with matching wines and attendant celebrities for months.

Awards such as this are not for them. They are for the likes of Amal Clooney.

Her Global Citizen gong is given to a person working on solutions to various global issues, from conflict and humanitarian disasters to climate change.But let us be honest, what solutions has Amal ever offered? As always, she just points out the problem, then blames Donald Trump.

The UNCA highlights the work of journalists in trouble and journalists who do their jobs under fire, often literally. Although they were honoured at this ceremony, I can't help but think any one of them would have been more deserving of this award than its glamorous recipient.

Amal's growing list of glowing tributes is all too reminiscent of Angelina Jolie being given a rushed honorary damehood in 2014 for her philanthropic efforts by a starstruck William Hague.

Or Tom Hardy and Benedict Cumberbatch being awarded CBEs for their highly lucrative career choice of becoming actors and film stars.

However, Amal is very far from being a villainess.

Her work on behalf of refugees, Yazidi women, victims of conflict and girls in need of education is not to be underestimated.

And it's not that the darling girl doesn't deserve awards. She is a shoo-in for the International I Married George Clooney medal, for a start.

That brilliant career move changed her life for ever, turning a former junior lawyer into one of the world's most famous women.

A Global Citizen, no less, one half of a dream team who are clearly on a mission to change the world.

Yet even in the depths of their goodness, everything the Clooneys do seems somehow contrived.

They seem hyper-aware of their self-appointed status as Humankind's Envoys For Good Causes, but there is something about them that jars.

Underneath the smiles, the poise and the Strappy Sweetheart dresses, they lack the ability to be genuine; there seems always to be a tacit purpose and underlying motive in all they say and do.

If George really does plan to run for high political office in America, with the hope of he and Amal entering the White House one day, I wish they would just come clean about it.

They wouldn't seem so weird, for a start. And they would deserve a medal — for honesty.

Pea Soup, Somewhere , United Kingdom, 8 hours ago
Global Citizen of the Year? I don't care who they give it to, it's trite, sanctimonious and basically a crap use of UN time and money. Liberal elite BS!!!!
+4025 -65
Englandisbest, Brum, United Kingdom, 9 hours ago
What! Amal Clooney is just a privileged woman - out of touch with reality! Give this award to someone who deserves it!
+2892 -43
Snowpea, London, United Kingdom, 9 hours ago
Amal sucking the life out of him. He looks 90 years old.
+2177 -67
Nick P, Springfield USA, 9 hours ago
Amal is a complete phoney. Do as I say not as I do! These people are so false. Yet the media kiss up to them like crazy.
+1292 -26
cherryberryboo, London , United Kingdom, 9 hours ago
Nepotism at its finest
+1791 -45

Is 'nepotism' really the word cherryberryboo should be using? I don't think it means what she/he thinks it means? Unless it's me that's mistaken.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
In a bout of boredom in Waterstones this afternoon I found myself flicking through Quentin Letts latest book. He devotes a chapter to the Clooneys, giving George the nickname "Clunker", and referring to Amal as "his woman".

Whatever point he was trying to make about celebrity philanthropy, he undermined it all in just those 2 things. Reduced his entire argument to "look at them, they're a bit weird".

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Please, Cheryl, let 2019 be the year you give us ALL a break! JAN MOIR reveals the New Year's resolutions she hopes the stars will make
rucky b, London, United Kingdom, 1 hour ago

Please, Jan Moir, let 2019 be the year you give us ALL A BREAK!
Hear hear!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... break.html
The Mail's Front Page Headline

Okay it's not today's front page but.... https:[…]

Meanwhile in America

Trump = Randall Flagg? It would explain a lot. (M[…]

Toby Young

https://mobile.twitter.com/Pieclone/status/10963[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

anyone not mad enough to sign up to support the p[…]