•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By ezinra
Membership Days Posts
Today's column is about the unbearableness of being Janet Street-Porter:
I had dinner with a sympathetic Jasper Conran who showed me his own awful shingles scars on his iPhone.
There's one for pseuds' corner.
Stopped moaning about not being invited to the swanky Royal Academy party for people in the arts (even though I’ve commissioned two modern houses, edited a national newspaper and won loads of awards). I suppose Agyness Deyn and Lily Cole are more interesting for the Queen to rub shoulders with.
Yet despite the name-dropping and the navel-gazing, the readers approve:
I love JSP. She is straight talking and talks a lot of comon sense. If our prime ministers where like her, we would have a better country. She is a no nonsense person and it's refreshing in todays society to come across people like this. JSP I hope you get better soon. x

- MJ, Cheshire, 28/5/2012 11:52 Rating 28
Janet is miserable old bag and I absolutely love her. She's got the Portas story bang on, the Obama story, bang on... the rest, absolutely. Look forward to reading more. Chin up, hope you feel better old girl.

- Dan, London, 28/5/2012 12:00 Rating 58
The Portas story is a bizarre argument against trying to revive town centres in favour of filling them with townhouses for people like herself to live in; the Obama story is a complaint that Michelle Obama seems like a nice person.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Stopped moaning about not being invited to the swanky Royal Academy party for people in the arts (even though I’ve commissioned two modern houses, edited a national newspaper and won loads of awards). I suppose Agyness Deyn and Lily Cole are more interesting for the Queen to rub shoulders with.
I reckon Lily Cole would be substantially more interesting, yeah. She's got a first in art history, rather than being some big mouth hustler.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... hings.html
Not just in primetime entertainment, but on children's television.Remember programmes like ITV's Tiswas, which ran from 1974 to 1982? This slapstick kids' show aired at 10.30 on a Saturday morning, presented by Chris Tarrant and the very glamorous Sally James.

At a time of day when toddlers would be watching, Sally would wear revealing outfits — tiny hot pants — even appearing naked in a bath full of foam. Smut or fun? I know what I thought at the time.
How dare she diss Sally James. This woman is way out of line.
By shyamz
youngian wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... hings.html
Not just in primetime entertainment, but on children's television.Remember programmes like ITV's Tiswas, which ran from 1974 to 1982? This slapstick kids' show aired at 10.30 on a Saturday morning, presented by Chris Tarrant and the very glamorous Sally James.

At a time of day when toddlers would be watching, Sally would wear revealing outfits — tiny hot pants — even appearing naked in a bath full of foam. Smut or fun? I know what I thought at the time.
How dare she diss Sally James. This woman is way out of line.

Yes Janet, and toddlers also grow up seeing adults in smaller tighter outfits than that at the local pool, other children semi clothed or naked on the beach or in paddling pools, as toddlers will have have no doubt seen their mothers step out of the bath or shower dressed in only a towel, and in the very paper she used to work for that dads read every day will have seen some seventeen year old girl's tits covering half a page. The very idea that children of that age will have no idea what a naked or semi-naked body looks like unless they see one on television is ridiculous, the difference been that at that age they are not associating what they are seeing with anything sexual, but Janet is because she is old enough to be looking at it in that context.
By JuanTwoThree
I was glued to the TV when tiswas was on.

By D.C. Harrison
Membership Days Posts
oboogie wrote:
Abernathy wrote:Bugger. How did I miss Sally James appearing naked in a bath?
I can picture it now, I think I was about 14 at the time. I still bear the scars.
Too tight a grip?

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
D.C. Harrison wrote:
oboogie wrote:
Abernathy wrote:Bugger. How did I miss Sally James appearing naked in a bath?
I can picture it now, I think I was about 14 at the time. I still bear the scars.
Too tight a grip?
I refer to the mental scars to which JSP alludes.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
J S-P wrote:This was never just about Jimmy Savile. Too many men in TV and radio see women as smutty playthings
Unlike the DM sidebar.
Kelly Clarkson cuts a curvier figure as she ditches the 'glamazon' makeover for a more laidback look
Surfin' USA: The Saturdays' Frankie Sandford, Mollie King and Vanessa White prove to be quite the beach babes as they hit the waves
Scarlett Johansson strips off to recreate iconic Psycho shower scene as she is murdered in Hitchcock trailer

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
JANET STREET-PORTER: 'Why I'd BAN children from cafes and restaurants.' This incendiary view will either make you cheer or want to tip spaghetti hoops over the author's head
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... orter.html

No prizes for guessing which way the Mailties went....
Allie, Yorkshire, United Kingdom, 11 hours ago
Totally agree.
+3422 -381

I think they probably mean other peoples children, though.

By Abernathy
I sort of get the (ludicrously over-laboured) point, but given a choice between a couple of sprogs on a neighbouring restaurant table or Janet bloody Street-Porter, it's the spogs for me every time.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

There's still Maugham's legal challenge tomorrow, […]

The Trump Presidency

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-5008783[…]

The LibDems, generally

Does Johnson getting a deal bring some Tory Remain[…]

Lots of those 24 independents for the deal will be[…]