•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By lord_kobel
Membership Days Posts
moonshien wrote:Maybe the way I put my opposing views is dictated by the way my initial opposing views were rounded upon and attacked from all sides. Debate is a two way street, and if things get out of hand then all contributors must take some responsibility.
If your argument can't stand up against a little poking, then that means it wasn't strong enough in the first place.Debates are about differing viewpoints squaring off against each other. Those that aren't strong enough fall by the wayside...
By moonshien
lord_kobel wrote:
moonshien wrote:Maybe the way I put my opposing views is dictated by the way my initial opposing views were rounded upon and attacked from all sides. Debate is a two way street, and if things get out of hand then all contributors must take some responsibility.
If your argument can't stand up against a little poking, then that means it wasn't strong enough in the first place.Debates are about differing viewpoints squaring off against each other. Those that aren't strong enough fall by the wayside...
Fine!
But that means I have the right to actually have a differing waypoint without being accused of having a differing waypoint "just for the sake of it" and also reserving the right that, when a debate has reached a stalemate, to stop demanding responses to an ever increasing list of questions and accept that someone else disagrees with me, that I won't change their mind and they won't change mine.

By lord_kobel
Membership Days Posts
moonshien wrote:Fine!
But that means I have the right to actually have a differing waypoint without being accused of having a differing waypoint "just for the sake of it" and also reserving the right that, when a debate has reached a stalemate, to stop demanding responses to an ever increasing list of questions and accept that someone else disagrees with me, that I won't change their mind and they won't change mine.
But a stalemate is not when one viewpoint is provably wrong or when you've decided you don't want to carry on anymore. A stalemate is reaached when both viewpoints are proved to both be valid.

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
moonshien wrote:Maybe the way I put my opposing views is dictated by the way my initial opposing views were rounded upon and attacked from all sides.
From what I recall this was probably because your first "opposing views" (stating that soldiers should recieve no money from the Government under any circumstances) was so incredibly short-sighted that you were quickly pulled up on it, to which you took offence and umbrage and were thus smacked down as a result. So it's entirely your own fault, I'm afraid. Time to drop your grudge and grow up methinks.

By AOB
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Think you've got mother-in-law problems? I've seen off SIX of them

Or "Six of them have seen Janet Street-Porter off", depending on your point of view. Anyway, what is it with the media and this story, which at best was only very mildly interesting. TV, radio, papers. It's everywhere. Person slags off in-law. So what? Kin' hell. If they're going to be like a dog with a bone on a human interest story can't they at least make it a more fascinating one? Move on now eh.
By satnav
Membership Days Posts
I think with anyone who has been divorced as Janet Street Porter you would have to think that they must be a bloody nightmare to live with. I saw her spouting off on Loose Women last week slagging off pubic sector workers who were on strike. She probably earns more making a few guest appearances on Loose Women than some public sector workers will receive by way of an annual pension.

As for the story aren't the Mail now trying to claim that it is all a publicity stunt to promote the wedding company that the groom has just set up?

By dailyheil
Membership Days Posts
I heard a good story the other day about Street-Porter when she was working at the BBC she sent out a memo concerning the Red Dwarf episode gunmen of the apocalypse saying it was too costly, too time consuming and too difficult to film by the time the red dwarf crew got hold of her memo they completed the story on time and on budget and they'd started work on post-production not only that but she felt the script wasn't funny, GOTA went on to win an international emmy in 1994.
By Gourami
Membership Days Posts
In her favour, has there ever been an easier impression to pull off? Everyone can do it. You're doing it now aren't you? Admit it.

"Oim Jawnet Stweet Powter I wanna gwass o wawter, d'yooo fink I owta? Ulllll ask Bawoness Shirwy Powter...."

Repeat ad nauseaum. Feel chuffed you can do at least one impression. Eat apple through letterbox.
Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

Hope you're not reading Jewish Voice For Labour. […]

The Trump Presidency

Not racist. No siree. https://twitter.com/jonlis[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

Chris Mullin's classic has had an update to its fr[…]

Labour, Generally.

16th July, 2019, 2:29 pm LabourList readers back […]