Discussion of article from the Mail's columnists and RightMinds contributors
:sunglasses: 46.7 % ❤ 20 % :thumbsup: 9.5 % :grinning: 11.4 % 🧥 1.9 % 🙏 4.8 % 😟 4.8 % :cry: 1 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Auto industry workers don't read him. Retired ones do, and they've seen someone in their street buy a new car.
youngian liked this

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
satnav wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:46 pm
I spotted this little gem in today's bullshit.
The truth of the matter is that, Brexit or not, the car industry is in far better shape than any time in history, including when I covered it in the Seventies and British Leyland was a byword for clapped-out nationalisation and industrial anarchy.

Still, why let the facts get in the way of a good horror story?

Well Dickie, as you conveniently forget; Thatcher basically closed down British car manufacturing, and it was mainly through EU trade deals providing such companies as Nissan and Honda the in-roads into Europe, that enabled the car industry in this country to recover.

By Boiler
All UK car manufacturers weren't producing particularly sparkling motor cars in that period and neither did they have great industrial relations, but BL was spectacularly bad. It had a management that viewed the employees as a necessary evil and treated them as such, and perhaps unsurprisingly they took exception to that but they also took the piss somewhat.

But their cars were particularly bad: the Marina was little more than a re-bodied Minor.

As such, it was ripe for the Honda takeover and as has been pointed out, the UK became a gateway into Europe not just for cars, but technology too - witness all the British radio and TV manufacturers that went south in that period: Pye and Rank Bush Murphy to name but two - Thorn survived partly because it was part of a much bigger company and its tie-in with JVC for video recorders helped.

I'm worried that we might look back in a few years time and compare Thatcher favourably to the twunts in Government now.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:10 am
As such, it was ripe for the Honda takeover and as has been pointed out, the UK became a gateway into Europe not just for cars, but technology too - witness all the British radio and TV manufacturers that went south in that period: Pye and Rank Bush Murphy to name but two - Thorn survived partly because it was part of a much bigger company and its tie-in with JVC for video recorders helped.
I think one of the major issues for the British television industry around that same time and a little before it was that the TV receiver market suddenly had more exposure to international manufacturers when the 625 line colour transmissions started having significant uptake. Outside of the UK and parts of Ireland, there was little incentive for overseas manufacturers to produce 405 line sets when nowhere else in the world used the standard over the air* allowing British manufacturers a captive home market that was artificially protected from international competitors.**

But once the 625 line services started being quickly taken up, to sell such receivers in the British market only needed some minor modifications from those sold in western and central Europe before being shipped over, exposing British manufacturers to competitors that overtook them in quality and reliability. The last bit was a boon in particular to those that rented out TV sets - the less call outs to fix them the better.

Radios didn't have the same closed-loop market that TV manufacturers had, but it suffered as a side effect when the Japanese started to get their stuff into the shops over here. Sony were probably the biggest winners.

* I think a cable TV network did 405, and New Zealand did some test transmissions in the standard, but that was it.
** The French tried to prolong an artificial "protectionist" policy in their move to 625 colour using a combination of technical parameters used nowhere else in Europe, but once outside manufacturers started producing multi-standard analogue TVs that could comfortably process SECAM L (or at least handle it in black & white) then the inevitable was also coming, the difference being that the likes of Thomson were better prepared than their UK counterparts.

By Boiler
spoonman wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:45 am
Boiler wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:10 am
I think one of the major issues for the British television industry around that same time and a little before it was that the TV receiver market suddenly had more exposure to international manufacturers when the 625 line colour transmissions started having significant uptake. Outside of the UK and parts of Ireland, there was little incentive for overseas manufacturers to produce 405 line sets when nowhere else in the world used the standard over the air* allowing British manufacturers a captive home market that was artificially protected from international competitors.**
At the risk of derailing the thread... the biggest mover for 625 was C. O. Stanley of Pye, because he thought he'd be able to export his TV sets and TV equipment to broadcasters and European consumers and print even more money. Instead it opened the floodgates when UK manufacturers simply couldn't keep up with the demand for colour sets in the early to mid-70s and all of a sudden, the Germans (and others) flooded in with their very much better made TV sets. A tweak of the IF strip and the adjustment of the sound intercarrier and Bob's your uncle - good for the British market.

Incidentally, France's last attempt at protectionism was of all things, the SCART socket!
spoonman liked this

By Snowflake
Cue the comments saying there is nothing I would enjoy more than staying in a boarding house in Bognor, eating a greasy fry-up and sitting watching the rain sweep across the promenade.

By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Snowflake wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:49 am
Cue the comments saying there is nothing I would enjoy more than staying in a boarding house in Bognor, eating a greasy fry-up and sitting watching the rain sweep across the promenade.
But it wouldn't be fair on the wife/kids/pets.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
No deal threats have put the kibosh on foreign holidays for me until there is clarity on pet passport replacements. Quarantine cages are out of the question and totemic of the spite and/or ignorance underlying Brexit.
At the risk of derailing the thread... the biggest mover for 625 was C. O. Stanley of Pye
I was one of the last people to be employed by Pye Telecom. Phillips rebadging happened within weeks of joining. Unrelated events though.
By SoulBoy
Membership Days Posts
The Biased BBC at it again. Another looney leftie luvvie given unchallenged air time.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... verse.html
The Years That Changed Britain For Ever, presented by Richard Littlejohn and produced by Jodie Keane, begins on Radio 2 at 9pm tomorrow live and on demand on the BBC Sounds app.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
1533, The Buggery Act
1815, England wins Napoleonic wars
1918, England wins World War One
1928, Dopey birds get the vote
1933, Kray twins born
1945, England wins World War Two
1959, First Carribean Carnival in London
1961, Spurs win Double
1966, England win World Cup/First Notting Hill Fayre
1967, Poovery decriminalised
1968, Dad's Army first broadcast
1974, Porridge first broadcast
1975, The Sweeney first broadcast
1979, Minder first broadcast
1981, Only Fools And Horses first broadcast
1982, England wins Falklands War
1986, Poovery enshrined in law
1991, The Essex Girl Joke Book published
2001, Will Self discusses 'To Hell in a Handcart' with author on Radio5Live
2011, Haringey Asian Hopscotch ring exposed by fearless journalist
2013, Death of Lucy Meadows
spoonman, Malcolm Armsteen, Boiler and 4 others liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
The past tends to be presented as a series of fixed milestones, focused on particular dates. Think 1066 and all that. I begin in 1972. Prime Minister Ted Heath achieved his dream of dragging Britain into what was then called the Common Market

How the fuck did he get this gig? Leave this stuff to historians who could go back to the Treaty of Westphalia if they wanted listeners to understand the ‘Common Market’.

Duncan-Smith is also turning his intellect to European history

By Boiler
Sadly I can't find this week's Radio Times, but it did mention in its highlight for this show that the BBC had been accused of pandering to a liberal elite, hence giving Geoff Norcott a show and now Richard Littlejohn. Wish I could find it in this uncontrolled mess I call home, but maybe I actually recycled it prematurely. If I find it, I'll put it up; my issue had the Life On Mars cover.

The piece was written somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I thought.

By Oblomov
Boiler wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:46 am
Sadly I can't find this week's Radio Times, but it did mention in its highlight for this show that the BBC had been accused of pandering to a liberal elite, hence giving Geoff Norcott a show and now Richard Littlejohn. Wish I could find it in this uncontrolled mess I call home, but maybe I actually recycled it prematurely. If I find it, I'll put it up; my issue had the Life On Mars cover.

Just heard the Richard Littlejohn gig advertised and reflexively heaved, am now going to tip the vinagerised cooking wine down me gulliver to steer me away from ranting about the licence fee.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

https://twitter.com/john3ners/status/1186748275686[…]

Hammond has got reselected anyway. Same with Ann[…]

@Timbo gonnae pm me the creds?

Richard Littlejohn

:lol: