Discussion of article from the Mail's columnists and RightMinds contributors
:sunglasses: 46.7 % ❤ 19.6 % :thumbsup: 9.3 % :grinning: 12.1 % 🧥 1.9 % 🙏 4.7 % 😟 4.7 % :cry: 0.9 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By karlt
Membership Days
Boiler wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:40 pm
Abernathy wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:37 pm
Gary could well be shitter than Paul Wotsisarse (can you believe I've forgotten his surname?)
Gary makes Paul Thomas look like Carl Giles.
That's the problem with all of these - Jak, Thomas, Mac - all of them thought they were Giles. In the same way that fucking Cannon and Ball thought they were Morecambe and Wise, Prosecco thinks it's Champagne and Tesco Value Mild Cheddar thinks it's cheese.

I can pick up a Giles compilation from 1975 and laugh my arse off. These twats will be forgotten in half that time.
The Red Arrow, Watchman, Boiler and 1 others liked this

By Boiler
My late great-uncle Sam was a huge admirer of Carl Giles and every Christmas he got an annual. Often an Andy Capp one too. I inherited them all and so I have Giles annuals going back to, I think, the late 1940s.

I think the least worthy pretender was McMurtry: how many of these no-marks will have a statue erected in their honour?
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... rning.html

Old sitcoms. Apparently repeats on a new streaming service will carry warnings about language etc.

Right, aside from a few factual errors (that's not Warren Mitchell in the picture, but Simon Day in a recent reworking), he makes a great deal of the fact that we're supposed to be laughing at bigoted characters rather than with them, before undermining that argument by saying that part of his love of such programmes is seeing "what they couldn't get away with today". So yes, he's getting a kick from people saying paki and poof.

I do agree with him that, especially in period dramas, characters displaying rather modern attitudes can be grating. But let's face it, queen Victoria as the rancid old arsehole she was in real life, as opposed to a delightful young gel sticking it to those crusty old men, isn't going to pull in the viewers.

Oh, and apparently sumo wrestling at weddings is the latest utterly ridiculous fad. Only for the last 20 years or so, along with all manner of other attractions and diversions. He still seems to be stuck in the local pub's function room with the mobile DJ playing Black Lace.

By Snowflake
Surprised he didn't plug this one. They may have seen through till death us do part and love they neighbour, but they know what they really like. 8.7 rating from 6k plus users.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075537/

Plus another "gem" from LWT.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063888/
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
There's obscure and there's obscure. Littlejohn does the former. "Oh yeah, he was in that, wasn't he?" rather than "The fuck was that?".

By Boiler
Andy McDandy wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:55 am
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... rning.html

Old sitcoms. Apparently repeats on a new streaming service will carry warnings about language etc.
You mean, like they already do on Talking Pictures TV after a couple of OFCOM rulings nearly took the channel off the air - or like they do on Radio 4 Extra?

Like you, the opposite - modern attitudes being imposed on period dramas - really bloody grates on me.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
But I’m pleased that Only Fools is being shown, hopefully in its entirety, even though viewers are being advised some of its language might offend.

There's must an early episode where Del hilariously calls a waiter Sambo or Gunga Din and its been irking LJ for nearly 40 years that it hasn't been repeated.
2019 General Election

Parody, my arse - this is journalism. An extremel[…]

The Ma*l in microcosm. This is why we are where we[…]

Meanwhile in America

'Murica. It isn't all mass-shootings. Florida Cou[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

Hero Jez could have handed over to someone better.