•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By ACG
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
ah tookey, what would happen if mark kermode got possessed by the vengeful spirit of mary whitehouse.

its a big day for the film critic at the daily mail, "kick ass" is out and his bosses have been hyping the corruptive nature of this film for weeks, so, does the review live up to expectations?

Don't be fooled by the hype: This crime against cinema is twisted, cynical, and revels in the abuse of childhood

Verdict: Evil
:shock:

y'know, however familier i am with tookeys pearl clutching style of review... evil?, you're really going with that as your opening summery? evil?
bless him and his ilk, it doesn't matter how many times over that we see that talking about a film this way only makes it bigger and more popular, they still seem to think that this time this time it'll finally work and stop people going to the cinema.
daw.
Last edited by ACG on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By cycloon
From his wiki:

'Tookey also witnessed a man bleed to death from a stabbing in 1997, and his reaction troubled him: "It has brought home to me that I have seen so much violence on screen the latest film is Crash that I have become desensitised. Talking with the others on the street, I was noticeably less affected by the sight of this guy bleeding to death. After the killing, a number of people had nightmares. Shouldn't I have? It was my lack of reaction that was so chilling."'

An interesting little anecdote. You can see where he's coming from, but you can also see through the position too - the other people had presumably seen violent films too, or played violent games, or experienced violence in some way. Not to mention his 'lack' perhaps merely being an 'unexpected' response as opposed to a more obvious, visceral one - shock, for instance.

Anyway, little aside.

/ramble.

By mr_wonderful
Membership Days Membership Days
cycloon wrote:From his wiki:

'Tookey also witnessed a man bleed to death from a stabbing in 1997, and his reaction troubled him: "It has brought home to me that I have seen so much violence on screen the latest film is Crash that I have become desensitised. Talking with the others on the street, I was noticeably less affected by the sight of this guy bleeding to death. After the killing, a number of people had nightmares. Shouldn't I have? It was my lack of reaction that was so chilling."'

An interesting little anecdote. You can see where he's coming from, but you can also see through the position too - the other people had presumably seen violent films too, or played violent games, or experienced violence in some way. Not to mention his 'lack' perhaps merely being an 'unexpected' response as opposed to a more obvious, visceral one - shock, for instance.

Anyway, little aside.

/ramble.
I find it hard to believe someone could place on screen violence and a "real life" situation on the same level - no matter how many violent movies they have seen.

By ACG
it does read a little like he's just looked for a scapegoat for his own (percieved) lack of reaction.

By Mr Mordon
love this reply
Good lord!

How perfectly ghastly. On what date are we to be defiled by this muck? And at which cinemas?

Ugh
Yrs etc
- Percival Snooper, Wenkthorpe, England, 2/4/2010 13:17
:lol:

Its in the red though. Even moderate mailites don't seem to get irony it seems
By Amazonian
Tookey's review of Clash Of The Titans also seems remarkably negative. Thank heavens for this fantastic comment on it:
Oh look, a film that the Daily Mail doesn't like! Shock horror.

Well I reckon I'm gonna love this film, since you guys seem to hate anything that isn't made by Pixar and rated U.
Take a bow, Rachel!
Aaron Bastani

He's trying to win Uncle Seamus's approval. https[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

If we're honest we are really facing a "glove[…]

Climate change and "politics"

Well done to those kids who went on strike today. […]

The Trump Presidency

He has declared a national emergency on salad (veg[…]