•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
See, aside from a couple of obligatory sneers ('europudding', 'the German' etc), that's not a bad film review. He even explains why he doesn't like things, rather than just assume they're bad and write them up accordingly (see Quentin Letts).

By davidjay
I WISH they had made a film about GHASTLY Camilla instead, which had it been utterly laughable...something dreadful scheming Camilla deserves, would've been in better taste than a film about MY Beloved Princess Diana, who walking the Red Carpet in the Pics.above looks MORE a Movie Star than Naomi EVER could! I'm very cross!
- ESS1, London, United Kingdom, 6/9/2013 12:48
You don't say.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:See, aside from a couple of obligatory sneers ('europudding', 'the German' etc), that's not a bad film review. He even explains why he doesn't like things, rather than just assume they're bad and write them up accordingly (see Quentin Letts).
Personally, I would have found more entertainment in David Icke’s more outlandish claims about the royal family, which is that they are all 12ft lizard people masquerading in human form. Now that, I’d like to see dramatised.
:D

I'm changing my mind about Chris Tookey. He used to just write 'ban this filth' and 'its a disgrace' Mail cliches, but I haven't seen any of that shit from him for sometime.
By Andy McDandy
ESS1 should go and watch Mulholland Drive, in particular the 'audition scene', in which Naomi Watts basically acts her socks off - in fact that's what she does throughout the entire film. The girl can act, put it like that.

Like or dislike Di, there's a story there. And as Watts said, so what if people think the film is 'too soon'? Her sons are grown men in the forces, who live in the public eye. They should expect this shit.

As for Tookey, has he basially seen the exit sign and gone 'so what, I'm on my way out, no point playing by Dacre's rules any more'?

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
davidjay wrote:
I WISH they had made a film about GHASTLY Camilla instead, which had it been utterly laughable...something dreadful scheming Camilla deserves, would've been in better taste than a film about MY Beloved Princess Diana, who walking the Red Carpet in the Pics.above looks MORE a Movie Star than Naomi EVER could! I'm very cross!
- ESS1, London, United Kingdom, 6/9/2013 12:48
You don't say.
I'm detecting a vibe where every woman who wins the heart of a Prince is "Scheming". (See also Middleton).

It's awful projection I know, bit I visualize the comments coming for stereotypical spinsters with collections of royalty scrapbooks.
By ACG
An opten letter from Chris Tookey
Dear everyone who has written to me (or hasn't),

I'm enjoying not having to watch trash week after week, though I'm always open to journalistic offers, should any come my way. I'm a bit too young and dynamic to retire yet, so I am reinventing myself as an author. I'm finishing off three books (2 comic thrillers, Proper Charlie 1 and 2, and a comic fantasy, Too Many Arthurs) and three musicals, all of which I hope to have finished before the end of the year.

I'm about to start marketing my books myself, as my various agents have all drawn blanks with bricks-and-mortar publishers. The general response to everything I've written has been "I enjoyed this very much but the marketing people don't think there's an audience for it" - i.e. It's not like anything else out there, you're not Russell Brand or Piers Morgan, and you're unlikely to be invited to appear on Strictly Come Dancing.

I suspect even Raymond Chandler, Wodehouse and Tolkien would have difficulty finding publishers in today's climate, so I guess I'll have to put in the legwork myself. I'd prefer to spend my time being creative, but there you go...

So with my merchandising hat on, If you're interested in hearing about my books, special offers, etc when they start coming out, please let me know your email address and I'll put you on my tragically short list. I promise I won't spam you.

Best regards,

Chris
Three books and three musicals! Casually comparing himself to great authors of the 20th century! The assumption his books got rejected because they were just too startlingly original!

Oh Chris.

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
Clearly he hasn't cottoned on to the standard rejection technique of "*I* liked it, but..." - feigned personal appeal coupled to a market-based rejection excuse, meaning the publisher saves time with authors demanding another commissioning ed. read their book because the last one was biased against it.

If they *really* all liked your book Chris, given the line of work they're in do you really think none of them would have taken a punt?
By Andy McDandy
I mean, yes, who was that author who Bloomsbury decided to take a punt on despite her having no previous, an unpopular genre, too wordy, bit falling between two stools, age and complexity-wise?

Oh yes, JK Rowling. :lol:

By Daley Mayle
He has a point, I have a folder about an inch thick with 'Thanks, but no thanks' rejection letters from every literary agent and publisher in the country. Where I did get an actual comment rather than a photocopied standard fuck off letter it was usually along the lines of the novel not fitting in with their profile.

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
Daley Mayle wrote:He has a point, I have a folder about an inch thick with 'Thanks, but no thanks' rejection letters from every literary agent and publisher in the country. Where I did get an actual comment rather than a photocopied standard fuck off letter it was usually along the lines of the novel not fitting in with their profile.
True, but I assume you didn't then go on to write in a national newspaper about how the explanation for the above was that your work was probably incomprehensible as a result of its brilliant originality and that you were on par with some of the greats of 20th century writing, and then further to plead for customers because despite all that brilliance it appears you couldn't sell shit to a bluebottle.
Jeremy Hunt

he has taken to wearing a US style union jack […]

Boris Johnson

When you put it like that. Not sure I’m li[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

He was asked about that on TV this morning, and as[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

If only Kier had stood for leader in 2015. He[…]