Discussion of article from the Mail's columnists and RightMinds contributors
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
 
By ACG
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#372274
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Daley Mayle wrote:He has a point, I have a folder about an inch thick with 'Thanks, but no thanks' rejection letters from every literary agent and publisher in the country. Where I did get an actual comment rather than a photocopied standard fuck off letter it was usually along the lines of the novel not fitting in with their profile.
True, but I assume you didn't then go on to write in a national newspaper about how the explanation for the above was that your work was probably incomprehensible as a result of its brilliant originality and that you were on par with some of the greats of 20th century writing, and then further to plead for customers because despite all that brilliance it appears you couldn't sell shit to a bluebottle.
Should have mentioned, this was on his Facebook fan page (no, I'm not a member, I found it via Charlie Lyne)

Having a "name", even one with no previous association with writing, should be a significant leg up when it comes to being published, I'm sure it helped Simon Mayo's YA novel get on the shelves. My take away from this is that after 20+ years as a published critic in a major newspaper Tookey's name nonetheless carries zero weight in the publishing world.
His previous book (a half-arsed collection of pull quotes from film reviewers) was also self published, and prior to that (way prior, 1994) it was a book about film criticism for Pan Macmillan, who I guess weren't clamouring to have him back.

I think he might just be bad at this.
 
By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts LikeBB
#372334
Daley Mayle wrote:I could do a Sadface with me holding my Folder Of Rejection outside Waterstones.

TBH, if Tookey, an established journalist and broadcaster, can't get a book deal then what chance is there for us mere mortals?
In all honesty, pretty good. More stuff is being published by small publishers than ever before. Chances are, Tookey used his medusa contacts to try to get in with a big name and that's where he has been blown out.
 
By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#372431
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Daley Mayle wrote:I could do a Sadface with me holding my Folder Of Rejection outside Waterstones.

TBH, if Tookey, an established journalist and broadcaster, can't get a book deal then what chance is there for us mere mortals?
In all honesty, pretty good. More stuff is being published by small publishers than ever before. Chances are, Tookey used his medusa contacts to try to get in with a big name and that's where he has been blown out.

My book must be shit then. I think I shall go into the study with a bottle of single malt and my trusty Webley pistol.
 
By ACG
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#372444
Perhaps the entire idea of a ex-Mail journalist writing a comic thriller just gives too many publishers Hell in a Handcart flashbacks.
 
By Agnes
Membership Days Posts
#372476
Hideously frustrating as far as I'm concerned, since I haven't got a Kindle (yet) :wink: .
Sersly, though go for it. Is it that one you mentioned a while ago imagining what a Nazi Britain would be like?
 
By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts LikeBB
#372520
Daley Mayle wrote:
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Daley Mayle wrote:I could do a Sadface with me holding my Folder Of Rejection outside Waterstones.

TBH, if Tookey, an established journalist and broadcaster, can't get a book deal then what chance is there for us mere mortals?
In all honesty, pretty good. More stuff is being published by small publishers than ever before. Chances are, Tookey used his medusa contacts to try to get in with a big name and that's where he has been blown out.

My book must be shit then. I think I shall go into the study with a bottle of single malt and my trusty Webley pistol.
Not at all. I didn't say it wold be easy, or that you'd get picked up on your first go, but the odds of even getting it seen these days compared to 10 years ago? Much better. And if you've self-pubbed first and can prove an interest that's all good too, especially to smaller labels. If the big guys aren't interested, start looking at the smaller publishing houses that offer similar work.

If everyone will permit me a brief side-track: my kids book - even though I haven't done any publicity for the best part of a year - is *still* selling one or two copies a month on Amazon and iBooks. I've had reviews from people who I have never and will never meet saying their kids loved the book. I had a major UK publisher consider it. I'm not upset they turned it down though because not long ago I would never have even got anywhere near that stage. I've even sold copies in Japan. That's quite frankly *insane* - someone half a world away is reading something I wrote mainly for my daughter.
 
By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#372534
Agnes wrote:Hideously frustrating as far as I'm concerned, since I haven't got a Kindle (yet) :wink: .
Sersly, though go for it. Is it that one you mentioned a while ago imagining what a Nazi Britain would be like?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wrong-World-Rip ... 514&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't pretend that it's a work of literary worth, more a novel that I'd like to read. It's pitched at the young adult/adult market who would happily watch Ashes To Ashes or Torchwood and not worry too much about the speculative fiction of the plot.

Amazon allows a read of the first chapters


I seem to remember that Malcolm liked it, but he is a kind bloke.
  • 1
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10

As an Englishman, I can't argue with any of that. […]

Makes me laugh the way banks like Nationwide (with[…]

The Trump Presidency

With the election just over 18 months off, the Dem[…]

Mark Francois MP

Stupidity is the achilles heel of liberal democrac[…]