•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
canus insanus wrote:
Bones McCoy wrote:
The Red Arrow wrote:There seems to be a part of Hastings who will never forgive the British for being on the winning side in WWII.
There are a number of his type who give that impression.
I suspect that he would have been more than happy to do his Reportagen auf Deutsch...

A Boss designed black uniform is so becoming.
By canus insanus
Membership Days
Daley Mayle wrote:
canus insanus wrote:
Bones McCoy wrote:There seems to be a part of Hastings who will never forgive the British for being on the winning side in WWII.
There are a number of his type who give that impression.
I suspect that he would have been more than happy to do his Reportagen auf Deutsch...
[/quote]
Is he another holocaust denier, by any chance?
By Andy McDandy
Hs argument about a pardon for Turing is basically 'that was how things were at the time, it's regrettable but face it, life sucks'.

I saw a better argument against a pardon in the Times. That went 'A pardon does not absolve the person of guilt. Indeed, it specifically says that the involved party is guilty (one cannot be pardoned for something one has not done after all). Better to either go for an absolution (which retrospectively changes the law so no offence was ever comitted - bit of a mindfuck and a bit pointless) or a sincere apology and make sure it never happens again...'.
By canus insanus
Membership Days
Andy McDandy wrote:Hs argument about a pardon for Turing is basically 'that was how things were at the time, it's regrettable but face it, life sucks'.

I saw a better argument against a pardon in the Times. That went 'A pardon does not absolve the person of guilt. Indeed, it specifically says that the involved party is guilty (one cannot be pardoned for something one has not done after all). Better to either go for an absolution (which retrospectively changes the law so no offence was ever comitted - bit of a mindfuck and a bit pointless) or a sincere apology and make sure it never happens again...'.
You know, I went with some kids to a local historical site last week and they learned some really good stuff - things like people in Medieval England were considered to be an adult at 9, married at 10 and bearing kids at 11, 12 years old. Life expectancy at 20. It blew the kids' minds away but can you imagine nowadays children having families at 11 years old? How values change.

This should be brought up every time the argument of Mohammed having a child bride is raised by the thicko islamophobes.
By Lord Brett
canus insanus wrote:
Is he another holocaust denier, by any chance?[/quote]

He has never, to my knowledge, given that impression. This quote is from a 2005 interview on National Public Radio publicising his book Armageddon:
We know about the Holocaust. We know about the six million Jews who died. What's much less widely known is that in the Second World War, the Germans took about six million Russian soldiers prisoners and about three million of them died in captivity. It was a stupendous struggle of a scale of brutality that even to this day some people in the West still don't fully appreciate.
By Big Rob
Immature advisers, moral indignation and the folly of wading into this bloody morass

Hastings says that in the face of Syria flouting international law, which is really just a gentleman's agreement, we should demonstrate how powerless we are by not doing anything about it.

I would laugh at how pathetic and hypocritical this sack of shit is. However dead Syrian civilians kinda tarnishes any remnant of humour.

I suppose we can let anyone get away with what they want now as long as they have power. Well the UK has the Tories in charge. A well targeted chemical weapon attack on a few sink estates would save the government a bob or two.....
By canus insanus
Membership Days
Big Rob wrote:Immature advisers, moral indignation and the folly of wading into this bloody morass

Hastings says that in the face of Syria flouting international law, which is really just a gentleman's agreement, we should demonstrate how powerless we are by not doing anything about it.

I would laugh at how pathetic and hypocritical this sack of shit is. However dead Syrian civilians kinda tarnishes any remnant of humour.

I suppose we can let anyone get away with what they want now as long as they have power. Well the UK has the Tories in charge. A well targeted chemical weapon attack on a few sink estates would save the government a bob or two.....
Isn't that what Littlecock has already suggested??

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
My day of pure hell: It shames Britain, says MAX HASTINGS. A little fog causes misery for millions of travellers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... llers.html

Max gets effected by the fog and has a rant about it. Gets slated in the comments for his outstanding ignorance.
John Adams, Preston, 9 hours ago
Not one line on exactly how other countries deal with the problem, and why? Because fog affects every airport exactly the same across the globe. Do you drive at the same speed and distance apart in thick fog? No? Well why do you expect airline pilots with the responsibility of a few hundred passengers to?
AIP, IRL, Ireland, 8 hours ago
People like these never let facts get in the way of a rant. Personally, I'd strap him to a chair for an "Air Crash Investigation" marathon (National Geographic channel) until he learned something. And not to insult and belittle airline and control staff who want to keep his whinging self alive!
Think Right, East Grinstead, United Kingdom, 9 hours ago
Feel better after your rant, Max? It's very simple. Heathrow runs at maximum capacity most of the time. When 'a little' fog rolls in, aircraft separation is increased and the number of simultaneous ground movements are reduced. Can you work out the rest?
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
Hastings joins in the WWI tubthumping. Found the totally random dig at Tony Benn oddly amusing though. Good to see Hastings has his finger on the political pulse.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... sions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Another right wing blabbermouth who conveniently forgets Donkeys was 'lefty' Alan Clarke's book.

If you are studying military strategy I don't see what difference some ones politics makes as to whether you conclude from the facts that a war was conducted competently or badly, except for the likes of Gove and Hastings obsessed by the sanctity of British militarism. And neither do dramatists and poets that are trying to convey the human condition in the face of war.

Even this guy gets +9 from Mail readers for making this obvious point
john, gloucester, United Kingdom, 15 minutes ago
Blackadder is a comedy show having a dig at the establishment and even the lowly private baldrick. i am surprised that senior politicians and historians think it is a factual program.
Hastings then does some shadow boxing by giving his take on the role of Germany in starting the war (a view pursued vigorously by such noted right wing historians as AJP Taylor) although none of the people mentioned have even entered into this debate.

What I think the likes of Gove and the Mail are trying to avoid is a discussion as to why the European inter-state system fell into carnage again and again. Hastings at least understands why we now live in a peaceful institutionalised European that has replaced failed balance of power politics that led to WW1. He also knows that moderate Conservatives and Christian Democrats played a central role in the creation of a united Europe.

The nationalist cranks that makes up the modern Tory and its press allies would rather pursue its drivel about the EU as a lefty plot victimising Britain than any sensible discussion of its legacy in ending war in Europe.
By Agnes
Membership Days Posts
new puritan wrote:Found the totally random dig at Tony Benn oddly amusing though. Good to see Hastings has his finger on the political pulse.
Would that be the Tony Benn who was a pilot officer in the RAF, at all? That Tony Benn? It's not very nice to have a go at ex-servicemen, Mr Hastings, not very respectful of you. Why are you disagreeing with someone who fought in the war, Mr Hastings? WHY DO YOU HATE OUR TROOPS???????

EDIT: I mean Sir Max, not Mr Hastings. In the heat of my passion I forgot to acknowledge his ridiculous pointless bauble for services to frothing or whatever it fucking was.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Would somebody explain how Blackadder is so different to Littlejohn's beloved Dad's Army.

Didn't the lads at Walmington on Sea have their share of blundering officers, and characters among the ranks?
Up their own arses establishment figures and petit-borgeois shopkeepers ready to argue the toss over preceedence at the church hall.
I'm waiting for Gove to have a go at Clive Dunn.
Or maybe they're waiting for Ian Lavendar to die.
Nigel Farage

I wish I could be anything other than deeply pessi[…]

Poppy Day bingo

As Steve from Glasgow intimated in the comments, P[…]

Boris Johnson

https://youtu.be/5Vx-ykFGA5g In all seriousne[…]

UKIP

Oh my, that is joyous.... :) :) :) :) :)