•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By cycloon
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Aside: history is the most glorious thing to study as an antidote to Mail idiocy. Not because I'm a lefty, filtering everything through my biases to pretend history is as I want it, but because it's so bloody complicated and messy and even counter-intuitive that it can only ever undermine their actual politicisation of it as comforting narrative and unwillingness to countenance its actual magnificence.

Underneath their wails of 'academia is all PC gone mad' is not a genuine, principled stand for truth, accuracy, free expression and all that. It's 'this is making us uncomfortable and confused, go away'.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
cycloon wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:29 am
Aside: history is the most glorious thing to study as an antidote to Mail idiocy. Not because I'm a lefty, filtering everything through my biases to pretend history is as I want it, but because it's so bloody complicated and messy and even counter-intuitive that it can only ever undermine their actual politicisation of it as comforting narrative and unwillingness to countenance its actual magnificence.
I find historians the least polemical in arts and social science and there are plenty of conservative historians who write terrific books. And even Max Hastings calls bullshit on British myth-making about WWII that saturates our popular culture.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
The England footballers shamed by Hitler and why Putin's won the World Cup before a ball's been kicked
You might have thought that the world would have learned from the chilling sham of what happened in Berlin that summer. But, with just days to go until the first match of the football World Cup in Russia, it is clear that in 2018, as in 1936, sport has become a showcase for boorish, strutting, violent nationalism.

Sandbrook writes in a showcase newspaper for boorish, strutting nationalism. But not violent they leave that to their foot soldiers on the terraces.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
And yet the M*il ( a showcase for boorish, strutting, violent nationalism if ever there was one ) is cashing in with a World Cup Wallchart today.

I was going to write something about Jesse Owens, but frankly couldn't be arsed.
youngian liked this

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:06 am
The England footballers shamed by Hitler and why Putin's won the World Cup before a ball's been kicked
You might have thought that the world would have learned from the chilling sham of what happened in Berlin that summer. But, with just days to go until the first match of the football World Cup in Russia, it is clear that in 2018, as in 1936, sport has become a showcase for boorish, strutting, violent nationalism.

Sandbrook writes in a showcase newspaper for boorish, strutting nationalism. But not violent they leave that to their foot soldiers on the terraces.
Thing is Sandbrook is largely right about Putin and the World Cup.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
But Mr Macron’s real audience was not here in Britain. Like so many of his predecessors in the Elysée Palace, he was pandering to the jealousy, resentment and fear with which so many French men and women peer anxiously across the Channel.
many of our Gallic neighbours have never really forgiven us for Agincourt and Waterloo, let alone for our effrontery in standing up to Hitler in 1940 while they ignominiously crumbled and collaborated.

Jesus christ. Our press is so bloody embarrassing.

Stop fucking going on about the fucking war. Nobody fucking cares anymore.

As French President Emmanuel Macron is accused of plotting to stop Brexit, DOMINIC SANDBROOK says it’s time to cut this Napoleon down to size
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... -size.html

fedup uk, norfolk, 7 hours ago
With all this you can see the EU is running scared of us leaving they just want our money
+1957 -77
Virginia Dare, Toronto, Canada, 7 hours ago
What is it with the French that they keep elected pygmies? Is it a job requirement that you be below 5'8"? Secondly M. Macron has his own demons. His great grandfather was British from Bristol.
+940 -51
James, Q.E Olympic park, United Kingdom, 4 hours ago
The French Poodle yapping at the British Bulldog, whilst standing in safety behind the German Shepard.
+709 -17
FrankH, Christchurch, 4 hours ago
Until the last 100 years the French have been the enemy.
+119 -1

And what's this? A damn kraut sticking his nose in?
KruegChrlstlan, Rostock, Germany, 4 hours ago
Actually France and Germany are friends now. That must be shocking to the british. They don't seem happy without war.
+17 -239

Mailites to arms!

James, Q.E Olympic park, United Kingdom, 3 hours ago
Either, they don't teach history in German schools, or you have a short memory Fritz... Wasn't Britain that started the last Two Big ones.
+175 -4
miss bossy, eastbourne, United Kingdom, 3 hours ago
James - Brilliant comment.
+190 -8
Charles, London, United Kingdom, 36 minutes ago
KruegChrlstlan ~ Oh please...you're just jealous that we beat you at your national sport ( twice ) and played away at the same time...no I'm not talking about football...the German national sport is war.
+31 -0
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Apparently Macron named his party after his own initials. Imagine a British politician doing that!

Well, don't give Nigel Farage ideas now...

But yeah, lack of self awareness...

It's a funny old world where the Government is m[…]

Germany's Heute Show has another look at Brexit af[…]

Mark Francois MP

Hadn't seen him for a week. I assumed either he[…]

The Brexit Party

Either the YouGov poll yesterday was a massive […]