•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Having read Sandbrook's 1970s books (and his Macmillan one), it's a bit of an oddity why he writes so much for the Mail. OK, they pay well for these 'what if?' pieces, and they're a piece of piss (but getting a 'proper' historian in gives them the smack of authenticity), but he does rather seem to be selling his soul.

My only major criticism of his books is that he spends half the time blaming everything up to and including the sinking of the Titanic on Tony Benn, and the other half copying and pasting from Benn's diaries, extolling the man for giving us such candid insights into the corridors of power. At least he knocks the entire "Do you remember spangles?" thing on its head and paints the recent past as it was.

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
Littlejohn's brain wrote:According to Sandbrook the Lib Dems are all sex maniacs

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ndals.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From Lloyd George to Jeremy Thorpe, there's something in Liberal DNA that breeds sex scandals
Oh, so as Jeremy Thorpe ceased to be leader in 76 and resigned as an MP in 79 then the Liberals have been scandal free for 34 years have they? That would make them the cleanest party of them all.

Seriously, who is Sandbrook trying to kid? There have been plenty of sex scandals in the Conservatives and Labour, and no doubt there would be in UKIP too if anyone knew who they were. I see nothing special about the LibDems in that respect.

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
I agree, I've read a few of his books and enjoy his contributions to BBC History magazine as well. I always find it baffling when historians turn out to be right-wing because the general story of (British) history is away from right-wing* totalitarianism towards liberal democracy. It's called progress.

*in today's terms.
By Danson's Forehead
Membership Days
Could Germany spark another war? I fear it's all too possible
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... brook.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, it's certainly pretty possible. Oh no, wait, it isn't. What a mesmerisingly stupid article.
In Britain, a dithering Prime Minister is buffeted by crisis after crisis. Abroad, from the heart of Europe to the fringes of Asia, economic powers are rising. And there is talk of a new German empire, bigger and more powerful than ever.

It sounds like something ripped from today’s newspapers. But this was the state of the planet in 1913, 100 years ago.
Apart from the last sentence, it also sounds like something that could apply to almost any point in history. "Economic powers are rising" FFS! It's no more specific than your average line from a horoscope. And the last sentence only exists due to exactly the kind of laughable article as this.
Even at the time, many people warned that war was coming. As early as 1906, the Daily Mail — then just ten years old — had serialised a bestselling book by William Le Queux, who predicted that the inevitable war with Germany might lead to a Teutonic invasion of southern England.

Far-sighted observers of the global situation could see that behind all the domestic arguments about female suffrage, the popularity of gramophones and bicycles and all the celebrity gossip about high-society hostesses, the world was entering a new and extremely dangerous phase.

On the edge of Europe, the Ottoman Empire was breaking up, destabilising the alliances that had hitherto kept the Continent at peace.

In the First Balkan War of 1912, Bulgaria, Serbia, Greece and Montenegro had defeated the Ottomans and were busily carving up the Balkans for themselves.

In June 1913, the victors fell out over the spoils, with the Bulgarians fighting the rest for the disputed territory of Macedonia. And even now, a century on, that conflict is a reminder of the potential of ethnic passions and national resentments to unleash devastating violence on the peoples of Europe.

Superficially, of course, our own situation looks very different.
Yep. Superficially. And actually.

Still, it's nice to be able to print a picture of Hitler.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
How many times do they have to show or quote that Greek joker in the Hitler uniform to hang on a piss poor International Relations theory that wouldn't make it into a crayon book for Kissenger's grandchildren.

His main issue to back it up is imposed austerity from an ECB run by a collection of George Osbournes. But instead of any political or economic analysis to explain this failure, lets bash the dastardly Hun who are up to their old tricks; "And there is talk of a new German empire, bigger and more powerful than ever."

His source is a speech from blabber mouth Christian Democrat Jean Claude Juncker who was one of the architects of the Euro's monetarist structure.

Sandbrook is an idiot, but the buck passing Junker ought to know better.
By AndyMinion
Membership Days
http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/debate/ar ... shine.html

Feck me - it's almost like he made it all up or something.

Personally, I hope they're going to get him to bring his powerful prognosticative powers to something like "What If Breathing Was Taxable And Dogs Could Use Guns?" next week.

By Ebon Badger
Membership Days
Messianic Trees wrote:Ed Balls in No 10. House prices halved. The worst riots in a century. DOMINIC SANDBROOK imagines... What if we HAD joined the euro?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... z2VnDu0zwX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
House prices halved? You mean for the first time in my working life I'd actually be able to buy a house?

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
http://dmreporter.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks to DM Reporter for pointing out this tragic attempt at Littlejohn inspired dystopian satire from Sandbrook.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -over.html#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Set in 2081 when Prince George comes to the throne, this cutting edge Swiftian satirist writes a comical cautionary tale of what Britain may become. Yes you've guessed it, Britain is under the command of the German EU, full of political correctness, foreigners and new fangled technology gone mad.

Sample to show what a talentless turd Sandbrook is
The handful of surviving pubs cater mainly for tourists, few people under the age of 60 drink tea and many traditional dishes, such as fish and chips, shepherd’s pie and spotted dick, have been outlawed by European health legislation.
Last edited by youngian on Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
It is indeed, utter pish. This woman gets it :
Utter bilge. There's nothing wrong with a 'what if' piece but this one is ridiculous and doesn't even have the decency to be funny. So what's it for?
- teresa , london, 26/7/2013 16:11
Click to rate Rating 15
UKIP

Braine-less - hahahah!

Nigel Farage

I wonder if deep down Nige really wants the UK to […]

Well, that was a pleasant sroll in the sunshine (u[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

The @Global moderators could move it into &qu[…]