•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
This must have been done with through gritted teeth...
On April 14 we published a piece in the Kelvin MacKenzie column about footballer Ross Barkley which made unfavourable comparisons between Mr Barkley and a gorilla.

At the time of publication, the paper was unaware of Ross Barkley’s heritage and there was never any slur intended.

As soon as his background was drawn to our attention, the article was removed from online.

We have been contacted by lawyers on behalf of Ross Barkley, who has made a formal complaint about the piece.

The Sun has apologised for the offence caused by the piece.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologise personally to Ross Barkley.
No apology to the people of Liverpool who were also insulted. No change there then.

By bluebellnutter
Charming man

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/kelvin-ma ... o-gorilla/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An unrepentant Kelvin MacKenzie has said Sun readers were “100-1 in my favour” over his column comparing footballer Ross Barkley – who has Nigerian heritage – with a gorilla in a zoo.

In a diary piece for the Spectator today, MacKenzie also revealed he had contacted Sun editor Tony Gallagher before his column with the newspaper was suspended.

He wrote: “During the height of the Rossgate furore I texted Tony Gallagher, the bloody good editor of the Sun.

“He replied: ‘In church. Will be free in a few minutes.’ How times have changed. In my more louche period as editor of that fine organ, I would reply: ‘In brothel. Will be free in a few seconds.’”
“Unluckily for me, but luckily for my enemies in the north-west, that was not entirely true. It emerged that although Barkley looked white, his grandfather was half-Nigerian.

“The reality is that had I known of his family tree I would never have made the comparison, but since I am a columnist and not a researcher on Who Do You Think You Are? I didn’t know, and have yet to meet anybody who did. Including the Sun sports editor.”
By PaulOnBooks
Membership Days Posts
Some of my best legatees are black ...
When plunged into this kind of storm, deploying the ‘my best friend is black/gay/transgender’ option invites derision, but I thought the story of my will would be helpful.

‘Predating Rossgate by a few weeks, I contacted the fundraising department of my old school, Alleyn’s in Dulwich, south-east London. If I left the school some money could they guarantee that 100 per cent of the scholarships would go to minority children? I had in mind African-Caribbean kids from the catchment area of Camberwell, Peckham and New Cross. They went away to check with the chairman of the governors and the head teacher. I was given the thumbs up and my lawyer is now drawing up the will.

‘I tell this story because I am forced to, not because I want to. Another victory for Liverpool.’
football365.com comments on the Spectator article: http://www.football365.com/news/some-of ... ie-the-sun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By cycloon
bluebellnutter wrote:Charming man

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/kelvin-ma ... o-gorilla/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An unrepentant Kelvin MacKenzie has said Sun readers were “100-1 in my favour” over his column comparing footballer Ross Barkley – who has Nigerian heritage – with a gorilla in a zoo.

In a diary piece for the Spectator today, MacKenzie also revealed he had contacted Sun editor Tony Gallagher before his column with the newspaper was suspended.

He wrote: “During the height of the Rossgate furore I texted Tony Gallagher, the bloody good editor of the Sun.

“He replied: ‘In church. Will be free in a few minutes.’ How times have changed. In my more louche period as editor of that fine organ, I would reply: ‘In brothel. Will be free in a few seconds.’”
“Unluckily for me, but luckily for my enemies in the north-west, that was not entirely true. It emerged that although Barkley looked white, his grandfather was half-Nigerian.

“The reality is that had I known of his family tree I would never have made the comparison, but since I am a columnist and not a researcher on Who Do You Think You Are? I didn’t know, and have yet to meet anybody who did. Including the Sun sports editor.”
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FWIW I am perfectly prepared to believe Mackenzie didn't know. Doesn't change him from being a hateful, ignorant prick one iota, however.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
PaulOnBooks wrote:Some of my best legatees are black ...
When plunged into this kind of storm, deploying the ‘my best friend is black/gay/transgender’ option invites derision, but I thought the story of my will would be helpful.

‘Predating Rossgate by a few weeks, I contacted the fundraising department of my old school, Alleyn’s in Dulwich, south-east London. If I left the school some money could they guarantee that 100 per cent of the scholarships would go to minority children? I had in mind African-Caribbean kids from the catchment area of Camberwell, Peckham and New Cross. They went away to check with the chairman of the governors and the head teacher. I was given the thumbs up and my lawyer is now drawing up the will.

‘I tell this story because I am forced to, not because I want to. Another victory for Liverpool.’
football365.com comments on the Spectator article: http://www.football365.com/news/some-of ... ie-the-sun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So he can do something useful if he hurries up and dies.
By satnav
This bit from the Press Gazette is quite interesting.
So as a mere columnist Kelvin thinks that he doesn't have to bother carrying out basic research on his own articles. He clearly didn't learn anything from the errors he made publishing the Hillsborough front page without doing much research.

By AOB
That comment he made about S*n readers being 100-1 in his favour, if true, means nothing. If you are suspended from work, or sacked through a fault of your own,, the only messages you are likely to get will be people sympathizing. For example, you might get half a dozen well-wishing texts or messages from family or friends, people hoping you find work soon or are re-instated. You could then twist logic to say 100% of people are in your favour and back you. Not only is it twisting what the well-wishers mean (they might think your employer was correct to suspend/sack you- best wishes for the future is a separate matter entirely) it also doesn't take into account all the people aware of the facts and think you full deserved to be sacked/suspended, but choose to keep their views to themselves.
The Northern Irish thread

Ooof. That's pretty big.

Meanwhile in America

About bloody time this law was challenged properly[…]

Sad Faces in Local Papers

I grew up pretty close to Moygashel myself. As a l[…]

Labour, Generally.

I'm sure the less well of Brexiters of Great Yarmo[…]