•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By MacGuffin
Membership Days Membership Days
mhunt wrote:Lies here from Petronella Wyatt:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... roads.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She published the same article in 2010

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... -down.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(more-or-less, a few words have been changed)

However in 2010 she claimed that her mother had just been run down after dark near her home in North London [St Johns Wood] while crossing the road by a hit-and-run cyclist with no lights, fell on her back and hit her head, and was taken to hospital by a passer-by, and suffered a broken arm.

In 2012 she claimed that her mother had suffered a broken arm having been knocked down by a hit-and-run cyclist who had run a red light on August 16th 2012, while shopping in Regent Street (which is not near her home, and is not North London), and had her 'seemingly inert body' dragged onto the pavement and was taken to hospital by ambulance.

She then claims that her mother was again hit by a hit-and-run cyclist in September 2012 ('twice within a month'), while crossing the road near her home in North London, damaging her previously broken arm, and her eye.

In 2010 she claimed that she had her bag stolen by a youth on a bike riding on the pavement, '2 years ago' (2008 presumably, though 2007 would also be 2 years before publication)

In 2012 she claimed that she had been mugged by 'Lycra Louts' a whole 'gang of youth on bikes', and this occurred in 2012.

The most recent article has 560 comments. I don't know if any part of the story is true, or it is all lies, but clearly she has lied about many aspects of what happened, and perhaps the whole thing is made up.
Also: in 2010, she told a friend:
She looked as if she was going to laugh. She could not suppress a gurgling sound before she managed to compose her features into the correct position of commiseration and shock, and say: 'How awful!'
In 2012, she told a friend:
I could hear a convulsion in his voice. It sounded like stifled laughter. He could not repress a gurgling sound before he managed to compose himself to express sympathy and shock. 'Again? How awful!'

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
MacGuffin wrote:Also: in 2010, she told a friend:
She looked as if she was going to laugh. She could not suppress a gurgling sound before she managed to compose her features into the correct position of commiseration and shock, and say: 'How awful!'
In 2012, she told a friend:
I could hear a convulsion in his voice. It sounded like stifled laughter. He could not repress a gurgling sound before he managed to compose himself to express sympathy and shock. 'Again? How awful!'
I imagine quite a lot of people struggle to keep a straight face when they hear her bullshit.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Zinoviev's Ghost wrote:If she really wants to write something that people want to read, then she should write about what Boris was like in the sack.
Who wants to hear about that?
By Zinoviev's Ghost
Membership Days Membership Days
Abernathy wrote:
Zinoviev's Ghost wrote:If she really wants to write something that people want to read, then she should write about what Boris was like in the sack.
Who wants to hear about that?
If it further embarrasses Boris then I'm all for it.

Plus, the comical mental image of Boris and Petronella in flagrante is more entertaining than the terrible mental image of David Mitchell and Victoria Coren at it.

By ezinra
Membership Days Posts
This is one of the most cynical pieces of clickbait I've read in the Mail in a while:

The outrageous confessions of an upper-class Lolita
Laurence Olivier, Robin Day, Lord Lambton ... as a teenager, PETRONELLA WYATT was groped by a bevy of her famous father’s friends. Here, in an article that will justifiably enrage many, she says society must be less censorious of such behaviour. Even more controversially, she argues young women can be terribly manipulative

A PROVOCATIVE PERSONAL VIEW By Petronella Wyatt

Note how the Mail is distancing itself as quickly as it can ("will justifiably enrage many") from the shitstorm it expects. It's keen to take all the money from the hits this will generate, without any of the responsibility.

Petronella Wyatt is entitled to her opinion. I don't agree with it, and I think it's deeply unhelpful for the vast majority of people subjected to harassment and abuse who are less privileged and more vulnerable than Wyatt. But it's true that unwanted sexual attention is not always experienced as aggressive, and it doesn't necessarily have a profound or predictable effect on the victim — even though the media (including the Mail) like to make out that it does, in order to reinforce the notion of woman as passive, helpless, suffering victim*.

However, the Mail has a broader responsibility than Wyatt. The people who are going to be hurt by the dissemination of this article, the people whose experiences are going to be queried and challenged, are those who have been subject to harassment or abuse through no fault of their own, and who have not been able or willing to "get over it". The people who are going to be comforted by it are gropers, harassers and abusers. Are those really the sides a national newspaper ought to be taking?

I can't be bothered to dissect the article, it's too obviously full of smugness and privilege. Wyatt facilitates and justifies harassment by repeating the old stereotypes that all women crave attention from men, and all men are "fallible, vain and driven by their sexual organs." This isn't difficult to disprove, and it's actually a bit sad that someone out there still believes it to be true.

In case this wasn't enough rape apologia for you, the Mail has also cut and pasted a quote by Alan Bennett, who says "he was abused as a boy but it didn't bother him". Bully for him.

* It goes without saying that a) not all victims are women, b) not all harassers and abusers are men, and c) many victims resist and fight back. These people's experiences are erased from both Wyatt's version and the media stereotype.
This is probably the most cogent, intelligent and refreshingly honest article I've ever seen on this site. Well said, Petronella!

- Gojira, Darlaston, United Kingdom, 12/3/2013 12:13 Rating 2
If you let it all hang out seeking attention, you shouldn't be surprised if it gets noticed.

- Jiohn Germanq, Reading, 12/3/2013 11:03 Rating 25
By sporran
Membership Days Posts
Do you think these columnists make the choice to do the monthly troll piece (presumably with some sort of monetary incentive), or is it just whoever draws the short story or has recently pissed off Dacre?
The Tories, Generally

The other week I tried to put down some though[…]

Meanwhile, in Lebanon

On conspiracy theories... https://www.bbc.co.uk/n[…]

Roll Call

It certainly seems to be making my local takeaway […]

The Trump Presidency

I would assume the election campaign fund would be[…]