Discussion of article from the Mail's columnists and RightMinds contributors
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
 
By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
#193700
The latest in a series of ill-informed, reactionary shite from this twat:

Hallelujah! Archbishop blasts clerics who oppose welfare reform and declares REAL moral scandal is our £1trillion debt
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... eform.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image

He has plenty of form for providing fodder for the Mail, I figured it was about time he got his own thread.

I've submitted this, not expecting to ever see it again:
What a load of absolute twaddle. The facts are that anybody who earns less than £35,000 gets more out of the system than they ever pay in. The suggestion that benefits are a bigger drain on national resources than tax avoidance by the wealthy is absurd and narrow-minded, let alone suggesting that this is the greater moral hazard. Please stop using this newspaper to so transparently beat the Tory drum.
 
By lambswool
Membership Days
#193703
Timbo wrote:The latest in a series of ill-informed, reactionary shite from this twat:

Hallelujah! Archbishop blasts clerics who oppose welfare reform and declares REAL moral scandal is our £1trillion debt
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... eform.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image

He has plenty of form for providing fodder for the Mail, I figured it was about time he got his own thread.
A face radiating such benevolence and grace . . . . NOT.
By satnav
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#193706
I thought the role of the House of Lords is to amend bad laws and that is what this weeks vote was all about. The Bishops have taken a principled stand based on evidence that has been presented to them, if the government accepts the amendment the bill will be passed so how are the bishops derailing the bill.

I see the article features three families who have chosen not to claim extra benefits if that what they want to do fine but this no reason to stop other people claiming. The article seems to make out that most families get £26,000 a year but official figures show that relatively few people get that amount and even where people get £26,000 nearly half that money is actually house benefit which goes to the landlord. At one point in the article Carey claims that some families get figure £50,000 a year in benefits if people are getting that amount it must mean that a private landlord is charging £30,000 a year in rent if this is the case surely much of that money will end up returning to the treasury in tax if the landlord is in the higher tax bracket.
By mattomac
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#193713
I found the DWP statement rather odd last night, but I've just read some of the newsroom articles and it's complete spin there is an article about the work programme saying that it was implemented successfully in 12 months while other programmes took years, the work programme was basically a carbon copy of the previous stage 4 so had techically been running in roughly the same way for 3 years.
 
By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
#193717
[*]Judging by the title, Carey is a recession denier, I see.

Does he acknowledge the role of the banking crisis, falling tax receipts or anything like that in rising debt? How are more religious countries like Ireland and Italy doing?

Peter Mullen and Rev Michael Nazir Ali to be wheeled out soon, I expect.

and the bishops together comprised 5 votes. The government would have lost anyway.
 
By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
#193726
For those not familiar with the regular bile this man excretes all over Dacre's desk:

Carey calls on Brown to restrict migration
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'Anti-Christian' judges should be banned from religious cases, says Lord Carey
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... Carey.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Britishness is under threat from Brown, warns Lord Carey
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... Carey.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Former Archbishop Lord Carey: We mustn't be ashamed of Christmas in these politically correct times
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... stmas.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ban on Christian's cross is outrageous, says ex-Archbishop Lord Carey
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... geous.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GEORGE CAREY: Why are we letting the BBC abandon the Year of our Lord?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... -Lord.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't let politicians bully you, Lord Carey warns Christians
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... Carey.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sharia law row: Archbishop is in shock as he faces demands to quit and criticism from Lord Carey
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... Carey.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By satnav
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#193767
Am I right in thinking that Carey has spent most of his career living in highly subsidised accommodation? Presumably he also receives a fairly healthy pension which he tops up writing reactionary crap for the Mail.

When these reforms come into place large families that currently get their high rents covered by Housing Benefit will have two choices, they will either have to be rehoused in areas where rents are cheaper or families may decide to split up creating two households headed by single parents. So he could be backing a policy that splits up families and which may not ultimately save any money.
 
By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
#193771
satnav wrote:Am I right in thinking that Carey has spent most of his career living in highly subsidised accommodation? Presumably he also receives a fairly healthy pension which he tops up writing reactionary crap for the Mail.

When these reforms come into place large families that currently get their high rents covered by Housing Benefit will have two choices, they will either have to be rehoused in areas where rents are cheaper or families may decide to split up creating two households headed by single parents. So he could be backing a policy that splits up families and which may not ultimately save any money.
Yep. You really don't have to scratch the surface of any of his assertions very far before they fall apart in the face of 'facts'. He seems very uptight and angry. Mariah must not be putting out since he retired.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#193772
I also notice a trend in the anti-bishop commentary to accuse them of covering up child abuse. Pity, as that was primarily the Catholic church, who don't sit in the HoL.

Still, what's the difference eh, they all look the same to me, bloody do-gooders etc.
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
#193773
It's interesting that Carey considers the national debt to be a bigger concern than the giant, yawning chasm that's developed between rich and poor. He's a self-important, reactionary plank.
 
By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
#193788
satnav wrote:I thought the role of the House of Lords is to amend bad laws and that is what this weeks vote was all about. The Bishops have taken a principled stand based on evidence that has been presented to them, if the government accepts the amendment the bill will be passed so how are the bishops derailing the bill.

I see the article features three families who have chosen not to claim extra benefits if that what they want to do fine but this no reason to stop other people claiming. The article seems to make out that most families get £26,000 a year but official figures show that relatively few people get that amount and even where people get £26,000 nearly half that money is actually house benefit which goes to the landlord. At one point in the article Carey claims that some families get figure £50,000 a year in benefits if people are getting that amount it must mean that a private landlord is charging £30,000 a year in rent if this is the case surely much of that money will end up returning to the treasury in tax if the landlord is in the higher tax bracket.
Unfortunately the way in which landlords are allowed to arrange their tax affairs makes this unlikely.
 
By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
#194867
Cuntosaurus Rex strikes again:

Former Archbishop of Canterbury and senior clerics back therapist in row on 'gay conversion'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rsion.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Senior Church of England clerics yesterday condemned the treatment of a Christian psychotherapist who agreed to ‘convert’ a gay man.

Former Archbishop of Canterbury Lord Carey and two serving bishops were among those who called for Lesley Pilkington to be restored to full professional status.
Image Image
Boris Johnson

What the judges say on Monday is what counts. […]

GE 2020

+3 SDLP/Alliance/Sylvia Hermon?

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

This is beautiful. https://twitter.com/DaddyHoggy[…]

Labour, Generally.

I'm currently sitting in a composite meeting on […]