•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
Somebody gave the monkey his cymbals again today:

Marriage will ONLY remain the bedrock of a society if it is between a man and a woman
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... woman.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Predictably, very thin on actual logic. He waffles on about why marriage and stable couples are good for society, without giving any reason why this is exclusive to mixed-sex marriages. Eventually, after labouring the point, he rears his sock-puppet bogie man:
If same-sex marriage is legalised, schools will be forced to teach children the new definition of marriage – which will run counter to the wishes of many parents.

We know what will happen, for we have already had a taste of it – it will encourage religious discrimination. A marriage registrar from Islington believed in traditional marriage, and was disciplined by her employers for it. The elderly owners of a B&B believed in traditional marriage, and were successfully sued for it. Numerous Roman Catholic adoption agencies believed in traditional marriage, and were closed down for it.

These examples will be the thin end of the wedge if same-sex marriage is legalised.

By ezinra
Membership Days Posts
There's no evidence the B&B owners turned away unmarried straight couples. Gay customers would have been refused even if they were married. Whether they believed in not-as-traditional-as-all-that marriage or not, it wasn't the basis of their discriminatory action.
If same-sex marriage is legalised, schools will be forced to teach children the new definition of marriage – which will run counter to the wishes of many parents.
Schools don't teach marriage. The archie's definition displeases plenty of parents itself. Here's a revolutionary idea: why don't we stop defining it at all? Let marriage mean what the spouses want it to mean. Discard tired old bollocks about it being the bedrock of anything. Judge not same-sex couples, unmarried couples, polyamory, singles — and thou shalt not be judged for writing reactionary crap in the Daily Mail.
By Gourami
Membership Days Posts
We know what will happen, for we have already had a taste of it – it will encourage religious discrimination.
'Religious discrimination' is a euphemism for equality. Giving up the power to discriminate is discrimination? Not big on reason these faith heads.

Anyway, is it 'an euphemism' or 'a euphemism'?

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
Yes, but it also depends on the donor language.

For example, hospice, hospital and hotel all share a root but come into English from different languages. So there is a full aspirant on hospital and hospice, but only a semi* on hotel (which would have no aspirant at all in French).

So a hospital, and an hotel. In speech. Different rules in written English where pronunciation doesn't much matter.

*fill in your own jokes, I've got a headache.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
I note that Carey was Archbishop of Canterbury from 1991-2002. He's no-nonsense and rightwing, the sort of leader we're always told the C of E needs instead of this wishy-washy tendency that thinks the enemy's war dead matter too.

So must have been a real golden age of full pews. Not my memory of that era, to say the least.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
To risk cross-threading, I think Dawkins has been dead on with regard to the church trying to claim people as Christian who don't go to church or know anything about the Bible. You often hear that there are people who say they want something spiritual. So the church claims to speak for them.

I call them hippies. (no insult intended at all).
By Big Rob
Heavy-handed courts are persecuting Christians and driving them underground, says Lord Carey

Persecuted?

What with christianity being the UK state religion after all?

My view is that christians should not be persecuted and that includes you Stalin. By persecuting them you are only giving the sanctimonious fucks what they want.
The Trump Presidency

Not just satirists Nancy Pelosi has said the same […]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Can anyone spot the flaws in this plan? https:/[…]

The Group of Seven

Does anyone, anyone at all, see any strategic po[…]

The Sun

We reckon climbing trees is a lot more character-[…]