Discussion of article from the Mail's columnists and RightMinds contributors
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Prexactly. In the chilling words of the Jesuits, "Give me the boy, and I will give you the man."

Carey is demonstrating clearly why all religions place heavy emphasis on the indoctrination of very young, impressionable minds. Getting to people before they've had a chance to learn to evaluate things rationally and filing their minds with superstitious shite is the only way they survive.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Every day I'm at work, I walk to get my lunch from a sandwich shop. On the way I pass a street preacher, in all weathers. Sometimes he's spreading the good news. Other days he's telling the world at large that certain people will burn in hellfire.

I sort of admire his courage and stamina. But I also wonder how many people he's reaching and converting, or even making think in the 'right' way.

If the faith (at least in the practicing sense - although I'm not entirely sure what Carey wants) is dying, it's not because of political pressure or any imaginary brigade. It's because either the message or the messengers aren't working.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
There was one in Liverpool many years ago. Not a preacher, but he was wearing a board reading "Get on the Lord's side". Always on the same spot until he decided to cross the road one day. It didn't last long as Scousers kept making remarks like "He was on the other side yesterday".

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:Prexactly. In the chilling words of the Jesuits, "Give me the boy, and I will give you the man."

Carey is demonstrating clearly why all religions place heavy emphasis on the indoctrination of very young, impressionable minds. Getting to people before they've had a chance to learn to evaluate things rationally and filing their minds with superstitious shite is the only way they survive.
I really had to bite my lip and repeat 'just think of them as folk songs' when my nearly 3-year-old spontaneously started singing Christmas carols. Little donkey I can just about cope with. Away in a manger, specifically the line 'I love you lord Jesus', is awful though. And my daughter goes to a non-religious nursery populated by a mix of cultures.

It just goes to show what an absolute crock the whole 'Christians are persecuted' thing is. They still get their claws in people incredibly early, almost without anyone realising.

By Messianic Trees
Membership Days Posts
The fact is, marriage has been treated shabbily by today's politicians

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... z2zKIcRn1h" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Among those I admire most, towards the top of the list must come Winston Churchill. I am confident many Daily Mail readers will say the same.

Through his stubborn leadership, moral courage and brilliant oratory, more than anyone else I can think of he deserves the accolade of the saviour of Western civilisation...

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
glasgowgril wrote:Carey does not strike me as a nice person nor ever has. And having to use Churchill as a hook in the Mail of all places has to be desperation.
And for a man of Churchill's class and era its not really a very good example of the concept of marriage as a sacred monogamous vow. Especially as he and many of his contemporaries are the products of hard-up aristos deal-making with the American nouveau-riche looking to marry off their daughters to someone with a European title and a better pot to piss in.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Big Rob wrote:Bloody hell.....

Former archbishop lends his support to campaign to legalise right to die

I thought this was satire for a sec until I saw it was from the Guardian.
The Widdecombe tendency are busy dusting off some new "proper" media Bishops - not those wet lefty retired types.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Bones McCoy wrote:
Big Rob wrote:Bloody hell.....

Former archbishop lends his support to campaign to legalise right to die

I thought this was satire for a sec until I saw it was from the Guardian.
The Widdecombe tendency are busy dusting off some new "proper" media Bishops - not those wet lefty retired types.
If they're looking for a proper Bishop - one who lives up to Christ's teaching on the poor and downtrodden - they ought to pay a little more attention to this man.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014 ... on-mandela" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Desmond Tutu plea for 'assisted dying' before historic Lords debate
Archbishop calls for 'mind shift' on right to die and condemns as 'disgraceful' the treatment of the dying Nelson Mandela

Desmond Tutu: a dignified death is our right – I am in favour of assisted dying
By satnav
Membership Days Posts
I liked this bit of the article.
His view was backed up by Chancellor George Osborne, who said: 'Magazines should publish what they want ... without fearing that armed gunmen are going to come through the door and kill them.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3OX1qQ3p1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Does that mean we are finally going to see pictures of Gideon sniffing Charlie with Miss Whiplash?
The Mail's Front Page Headline

Okay it's not today's front page but.... https:[…]

Meanwhile in America

Trump = Randall Flagg? It would explain a lot. (M[…]

Toby Young

https://mobile.twitter.com/Pieclone/status/10963[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

anyone not mad enough to sign up to support the p[…]