•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Oscar Ferguson, Fredrikstad, Norway, 13 hours ago
Abolishing capital punishment doesn't seem to have done any good, does it? Quite the reverse. Bring it back for murder, too, and the number of fatal shootings and stabbings might decrease dramatically.
+669 -12

YES! That's why American is virtually crime free.

Mr Last Straw, london, United Kingdom, 13 hours ago
Should be no reason for debate.Yes is the answer.Execute the filth.
+862 -17

That's quite an Up/Down arrow ratio!

I can't remember what the latest nationwide poll on this is but I'm pretty sure it highlights the fact Daily Mail readers, no matter how noisy, do not represent the rest of the country. For now.

By Catkins
Membership Days Posts
Whilst we're members of the ECHR, it can't happen.
And if we did withdraw from the ECHR we'd be kicked out of the Council of Europe. Something which has only ever happened to one member - Greece following a military coup.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
Catkins wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:25 pm
Whilst we're members of the ECHR, it can't happen.
And if we did withdraw from the ECHR we'd be kicked out of the Council of Europe. Something which has only ever happened to one member - Greece following a military coup.
The gammon wouldn’t care. They’d applaud.
This is trialling an idea, have no doubt.
Catkins liked this

By Boiler
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:33 pm
The gammon wouldn’t care. They’d applaud.
This is trialling an idea, have no doubt.
Somehow the Gammon is determined to drive this country back to 1940, isn't it? Plucky Brits against the world, Spitfires and Vera Lynn, no wogs, make all our own stuff. It'll be great.

Along with the massive social inequality, poverty, unemployment, high infant mortality rate, the return of rickets and scarlet fever...

:(

By Catkins
Membership Days Posts
The gammon wouldn’t care. They’d applaud. This is trialling an idea, have no doubt.
Agreed - but it's also a delaying tactic as once we've left the EU it puts another obstacle in the path of rejoining. We'd have to go through the process of rejoining the Council of Europe before having the opportunity to apply to rejoin the EU.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
There really can't be any doubt that, these tories and by implication, the Gammon, would be more than happy to leave the Council of Europe, even if they had a similar grasp of it and its function to that of Naddine Dorries and the Single Market.

In fact, they probably think that they are on their way out already.

That is in no way meant to be hyperbole on my part. They are that reactionary and they are that thick, and I still don't understand just how we arrived at the edge of this precipice.
Samanfur liked this

By Messianic Trees
Membership Days Posts
Flawed, yes, but this deal will give us Leavers much of what we wanted — and may heal a divided nation

Read more: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... anted.html
So this is my message to those who have campaigned for Brexit. This deal delivers much of what you want. Accept it. If you don’t, you are likely to end up with something far worse — which may well be nothing at all.

There is one further important consideration.

We Brexiteers always go on about the 17.4 million people who voted Leave. But we tend to forget the 16.1 million who backed Remain.

The misgivings of such a large minority should be respected, even though they were on the losing side.

It sometimes seems the most ideologically driven Brexiteers yearn for a resolution that takes no account of the reasonable fears of millions of their fellow Britons.

This is their country, too.

What Theresa May has produced may be a muddle in some ways. But one of its virtues is that, because it is not an extreme version of Brexit, it should appeal to many of those harbouring doubts. Who knows, it might help heal our divided country.

Shouldn’t Brexiteers, who so often champion our values, cherish the British (perhaps I should say English) quality of compromise? Our great institutions — Parliament, the monarchy, the Church of England — may once have been steeped in blood, but they have flourished because they were able to compromise.

Knowing Boris Johnson quite well and Jacob Rees-Mogg a little, I can’t believe that these liberal and essentially broad-minded men (yes, even Boris) really want to jettison pragmatism and good sense in favour of fighting in a ditch for a purist cause that is no longer achievable — if it ever was.

As for the DUP’s MPs, I have no great insight into their possibly intractable minds, but it’s hard to think they really want to usher in the IRA-loving and wealth-destroying Jeremy Corbyn.

Of course, I don’t know whether this admittedly imperfect deal will be accepted.

I just believe, with a slightly heavy heart, that it should be. And perhaps now we can slowly return to being a happier and more united people.
The Mail's Front Page Headline

Okay it's not today's front page but.... https:[…]

Meanwhile in America

Trump = Randall Flagg? It would explain a lot. (M[…]

Toby Young

https://mobile.twitter.com/Pieclone/status/10963[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

anyone not mad enough to sign up to support the p[…]