Discussion of article from the Mail's columnists and RightMinds contributors
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Althea
Membership Days Posts
ezinra wrote: When the Guardian wants to provoke its readership (and get hits) on social and gender issues, it may commission Bidisha or Julie Bindel — writers who at the very least challenge us to think about normativity and its boundaries.
I really, really wish they would forget about Bindel.

No good can come of her running her mouth.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
Screw it, I'll lower the tone. She looks and behaves like filth in the bedroom I reckon. Probably also screams her own name when she comes as well.

(ok, some of that was a bit too much, edited accordingly)
Last edited by spoonman on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

By Amazonian
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
While I was tearfully dealing with the emails and calls outside the supermarket, a young man approached me, offered to park my car and even get me a coffee.

He could see I was having a tough time — and yes, my looks had helped me out again.
Yeah, right.

God forbid that he was just a nice person who tries to help people in obvious distress, eh?

I'm starting to side with Malcolm very strongly. She can't be for real, surely.
By Tom_UK
Amazonian wrote:
While I was tearfully dealing with the emails and calls outside the supermarket, a young man approached me, offered to park my car and even get me a coffee.

He could see I was having a tough time — and yes, my looks had helped me out again.
Yeah, right.

God forbid that he was just a nice person who tries to help people in obvious distress, eh?

I'm starting to side with Malcolm very strongly. She can't be for real, surely.
Yeah, she's definitely taking the piss. "Whilst I was tearfully dealing with my e-mails and calls outside the supermarket"? If this is for real, I can only surmise that some kind soul saw the sight of a woman attempting to answer e-mails on her Blackberry and park her car at the same time, and stepped in to prevent other cars getting scraped. But more likely this is bullshit.

And yeah, nice reinforcement of archaic gender stereotypes there. Bullshit or not, this is all pretty poor. Oh thank you kind soul for offering to park my car, for I am but a feeble woman and cannot manage this challenging task for myself (cue eyelash flutter). I know about knitting, and kittens...

EDIT: It's worth noting that comments (nasty or otherwise) were appearing exceptionally quickly yesterday on what purported to be a moderated thread, which suggests to me that Malcolm is right, and I would even suggest that this was all carefully orchestrated. Does the DM's comment moderating team usually keep on top of moderated stories with comments flying in by the thousand? Normally it takes them up to an hour to approve just a few comments on a Littlejohn article.
Last edited by Tom_UK on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
By jguazu
Membership Days
Funny who the only really bileous (is that a word?) backlash that they've supported that with has come from Mailonline. They've even printed a giant box filled with unpleasant comments from their own readers - whilst their celebrity Twitter ones they've published are hardly that unreasonably...
By Tom_UK
And what has my husband made of all this?

At first, he shrugged it off, saying they were just the spiteful remarks of a few jealous women. But as the storm brewed . . . well, I've had to hide the worst of it from him; the tame few I've read out have riled him enough to want to take his own form of action.
Shit! He's got a gun!
This bollocks on the "how she became an internet sensation" story made me laugh:
Not only was it our top story, it sparked an avalanche of debate across the internet. On MailOnline there was a storm of comments which saw nearly 4,500 posts about her story left on this site.

Admittedly, not all were supportive with many labelling her 'delusional' and others accusing her of being deliberately provocative. Others however rode to her defence.

The top-rated comment following her first piece was from Annie, in Toronto, Canada, who was awarded an astonishing 18,000 'green arrows' from fellow readers for saying Samantha needs a 'reality check'.
Most green arrows:
I think the above piece is as delusional as the lady herself and, if what I read today is anything to go by, is being economical with the truth. I saw very, very few supportive comments.
- Gordon Webster, Dundee, UK, 3/4/2012 22:12 693
By McSnark
Membership Days
Tom_MKUK wrote:
And what has my husband made of all this?

At first, he shrugged it off, saying they were just the spiteful remarks of a few jealous women. But as the storm brewed . . . well, I've had to hide the worst of it from him; the tame few I've read out have riled him enough to want to take his own form of action.
Shit! He's got a gun!
So I can expect a refugee from the Village People appearing at my office with a water pistol screeching "YOU! YOU HAVE DISRESPECTED MY WIFE!" and be chased around before a frantic bumming commences? Oh. Joy.
So I can expect a refugee from the Village People appearing at my office with a water pistol screeching "YOU! YOU HAVE DISRESPECTED MY WIFE!" and be chased around before a frantic bumming commences?
Just a normal morning at work then?
Newsnight

Why are the BBC giving that freeloading bum Prin[…]

It's late enough at night for me to propose the sy[…]

2019 General Election

Yes, I know, its about those foreigners... […]

We do seem to have a sensible independent running […]