•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By canus insanus
Membership Days
Arnold wrote:
Abernathy wrote:
when one friend arrived and thrust a hefty box of chocolates into my hands, I rewarded her with ice-cold contempt rather than the grateful smile she was clearly expecting.
Nice.
So no return invitation then.
It would have been a nice swirl of chocolate over her fucking head with a possible ganache of nose blood if I'd been the said friend.

Then again I keep a better circle of friends than self-obsessive drama queens...

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
canus insanus wrote:
Abernathy wrote:
when one friend arrived and thrust a hefty box of chocolates into my hands, I rewarded her with ice-cold contempt rather than the grateful smile she was clearly expecting.
Nice.
Pascal would not tolerate a fat wife and has told me that if I put on weight, our marriage is over. What more motivation do I need?
Pascal's a bit of a cunt, isn't he?
He's that frustrating mix of Gallic machismo and 'cheese-eating surrender monkey' (c) DM
I don't think he is. That sort of a twat wouldn't tolerate his allegedly dippy wife writing about what a twat he is, let alone whining on about the fact he's not got her up the duff and earning money doing it. I reckon Pascal is a henpecked sap at worst, or at best just an ordinary chap with a wife happy to bullshit about him.

By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
crabcakes_windermere wrote: I don't think he is. That sort of a twat wouldn't tolerate his allegedly dippy wife writing about what a twat he is, let alone whining on about the fact he's not got her up the duff and earning money doing it. I reckon Pascal is a henpecked sap at worst, or at best just an ordinary chap with a wife happy to bullshit about him.

I reckon Pascal's not daft enough to moan about a wife who gets paid a lot of money for writing the same thing every couple of months for a foreign newspaper nobody he knows could care less about.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Love to hate Samantha 'I'm so beautiful' Brick? She's got a confession that might just change your mind...
Sam Brick caused a storm with 'Why do women hate me for being beautiful'
Now she reveals the truth behind the beauty: her battle with depression

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... z2WwogbJw5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By sporran
Membership Days Posts
If she's genuinely suffering from depression then I wish her all the best, but how many times must the Mail drag up the "story" about that article? And I don't know if I'm being overly picky, but why do you have to "confess" to having depression? There's something drippy about that sub-headline.

On a shallower note - Pascal seems to have been putting the beef on since the famous pic...

By Malcolm Armsteen
You know why you have to 'confess' to depression where the Mail is concerned.
Because they see it as a sign of weakness, and if they see weakness then the bully-pack descends to tear you limb from psychological limb. You'd be safer confessing to be a North Korean spy.
By satnav
Did she actually mention that she had depression in her autobiography? If she failed to mention it then it wasn't a particularly accurate autobiography. If she did mention it why did the Mail not include that piece of information in their serialisation of the book?

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
satnav wrote:Did she actually mention that she had depression in her autobiography? If she failed to mention it then it wasn't a particularly accurate autobiography. If she did mention it why did the Mail not include that piece of information in their serialisation of the book?
Denial and shame are symptoms of depression.

I doubt if Monty Python Yorkshiremen type comments help either-
Without being rude I am a natural beauty who has been given the gift of a son who will be 23 years of age next week - he has Down's x His father and I divorced when he was seven - the pain will never leave my boy. I found my soul mate who then committed suicide. Many people I know have also gone down this route, the first being my uncle when I was taking A' levels. You don't know the meaning of depression and if you really do you should have had it dealt with many years ago young lady.

- Nicky , Cheadle Hulme, United Kingdom, 22/6/2013 05:37
Click to rate Rating 6
By Fflaps
I guess the antidepressants have kicked in then, because she managed to draft, write and submit a reasonably articulate article about being depressed. Which she would be unlikely to be able to do if still in the throes.

It does sound as if may have been genuinely unwell, though, so I hope she recovers soon and that Pascal is supportive.
By canus insanus
Membership Days
Fflaps wrote:I guess the antidepressants have kicked in then, because she managed to draft, write and submit a reasonably articulate article about being depressed. Which she would be unlikely to be able to do if still in the throes.

It does sound as if may have been genuinely unwell, though, so I hope she recovers soon and that Pascal is supportive.
I'm sorry, but I don't buy this - I work with young people and kids who come from genuinely shitty homes with shitty parents and all the shit that life can throw at you as a teenager with interest. There are kids who after school have to go home to make sure mum hasn't passed out from all the vodka she's drunk, or the drugs she's been taking, or that her latest shag hasn't beaten the crap out of her, and that baby brother or sister gets something to eat before being bathed and put to bed by them. Then they might have time for homework or some project before mum's BF comes in demanding a cooked meal. THAT'S fucking depressing, how a young person with all the future to look forward to has to live for, yet can't get out of the shitty dead end that a fucked-up parent has backed them in to. SO if Brick wants to know about depression, a dead end life, wants to finish her awful fucking life with a gallic prick who has erectile dysfunction or whatfuckingever, then for fuck's sake get on with it and stop fucking whining. She's earning considerably more than any of us so why doesn't she put the money to good use, get some decent drugs and give the rest to kids in Africa who literally die trying to get an education to get out of their shit existence.

I may sound like a DM retired colonel but for pity's sake, let's get some perspective here, eh? I'm also not suggesting that well-off people aren't allowed to be depressives, but their options to get out of their depression are considerably less limited than most, who don't have a daily newspaper to attract some sort of sympathy blanket.

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Without being rude I am a natural beauty who has been given the gift of a son who will be 23 years of age next week - he has Down's x His father and I divorced when he was seven - the pain will never leave my boy. I found my soul mate who then committed suicide. Many people I know have also gone down this route, the first being my uncle when I was taking A' levels. You don't know the meaning of depression and if you really do you should have had it dealt with many years ago young lady.

- Nicky , Cheadle Hulme, United Kingdom, 22/6/2013 05:37
Click to rate Rating 6
Admittedly some people do lead lives filled with tragedy entirely not of their own making, but let's read this comment another way:

1) I am vain and think I'm gorgeous
2) It's not beneath me to rub in the fact you are childless
3) My husband left me and clearly I've *never* let our son forget it when I can use it to make him sad and my husband feel bad
4) My alleged soul mate topped himself (odd behaviour for someone who'd found their perfect partner)
5) My uncle rudely interrupted my exams with his personal issues
6) I have suffered worse than you, and you should have dealt with it in precisely the way I very obviously haven't to save me the bother of telling you how much worse my life is in comparison

Although it's more heavily disguised than most, it's a typical Mail reader - fuck everyone else, the world revolves around me.
By Fflaps
canus insanus wrote:
Fflaps wrote:I guess the antidepressants have kicked in then, because she managed to draft, write and submit a reasonably articulate article about being depressed. Which she would be unlikely to be able to do if still in the throes.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy this - I work with young people and kids who come from genuinely shitty homes with shitty parents and all the shit that life can throw at you as a teenager with interest. There are kids who after school have to go home to make sure mum hasn't passed out from all the vodka she's drunk, or the drugs she's been taking, or that her latest shag hasn't beaten the crap out of her, and that baby brother or sister gets something to eat before being bathed and put to bed by them. Then they might have time for homework or some project before mum's BF comes in demanding a cooked meal. THAT'S fucking depressing, how a young person with all the future to look forward to has to live for, yet can't get out of the shitty dead end that a fucked-up parent has backed them in to. SO if Brick wants to know about depression, a dead end life, wants to finish her awful fucking life with a gallic prick who has erectile dysfunction or whatfuckingever, then for fuck's sake get on with it and stop fucking whining. She's earning considerably more than any of us so why doesn't she put the money to good use, get some decent drugs and give the rest to kids in Africa who literally die trying to get an education to get out of their shit existence.

I may sound like a DM retired colonel but for pity's sake, let's get some perspective here, eh? I'm also not suggesting that well-off people aren't allowed to be depressives, but their options to get out of their depression are considerably less limited than most, who don't have a daily newspaper to attract some sort of sympathy blanket.
That's if you feel able to do something to get out of it. Depression is no respecter of circumstance. Yes, it can certainly be brought on or exacerbated by being stuck in horrible circumstances but even if that's not the case, it's no less serious. There are always going to be people who are worse off but that doesn't mean that if a better-off person suffers from depression it's somehow less real or valid.

Anyway, when you are in the depths of an episode you really don't care about other people. I have been there a few times and depression, like many illnesses, makes you incredibly selfish in a way. Being told to count your blessings because there are people worse off than you doesn't really help. Medication and talking do - both of which are on the NHS (albeit with a massive waiting list in the case of therapies) and so available to anyone.

I don't mean to sound as if I don't care about people like the ones you mention. I do, very much. But when I am ill it's hard enough to care about myself, let alone people you don't know :(

By lord_kobel
Membership Days Posts
Fflaps wrote:Medication and talking do - both of which are on the NHS (albeit with a massive waiting list in the case of therapies) and so available to anyone.
I've been told by the doctor that this isn't true anymore. They gave me my pills and a website address. I thought it was for a councilling service, turns out it's the website for people volunteering...
The Northern Irish thread

Ooof. That's pretty big.

Meanwhile in America

About bloody time this law was challenged properly[…]

Sad Faces in Local Papers

I grew up pretty close to Moygashel myself. As a l[…]

Labour, Generally.

I'm sure the less well of Brexiters of Great Yarmo[…]