Discussion of article from the Mail's columnists and RightMinds contributors
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Fozzy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Young Miss F was referred for talking therapy last year and managed to get fast tracked. It does seem to have been helpful, but the problem was that because of said waiting list the therapist couldn't give her as long as he felt she really needed. I must say, I do think this type of therapy is something which is really worth double the amount the NHS spends on it.
By canus insanus
Membership Days
Fflaps wrote:
That's if you feel able to do something to get out of it. Depression is no respecter of circumstance. Yes, it can certainly be brought on or exacerbated by being stuck in horrible circumstances but even if that's not the case, it's no less serious. There are always going to be people who are worse off but that doesn't mean that if a better-off person suffers from depression it's somehow less real or valid.

Anyway, when you are in the depths of an episode you really don't care about other people. I have been there a few times and depression, like many illnesses, makes you incredibly selfish in a way. Being told to count your blessings because there are people worse off than you doesn't really help. Medication and talking do - both of which are on the NHS (albeit with a massive waiting list in the case of therapies) and so available to anyone.

I don't mean to sound as if I don't care about people like the ones you mention. I do, very much. But when I am ill it's hard enough to care about myself, let alone people you don't know :(
I know what you're saying, and I think I probably poured all that out onto the keyboard after a really long day at the office, but working with depressed and suicidal young people, as well as bright young things who love life, I'm afraid my sympathy (which incidentally comes between 'shit' and 'syphilis' in the dictionary) cannot extend to an attention-seeking floozie who is only interested really in keeping her column inches up, her name at the column head and the paychecks in. Sorry if that sounds blunt and unsympathetic, but it probably is in her case.

By ACG
lord_kobel wrote:
Fflaps wrote:Medication and talking do - both of which are on the NHS (albeit with a massive waiting list in the case of therapies) and so available to anyone.
I've been told by the doctor that this isn't true anymore. They gave me my pills and a website address. I thought it was for a councilling service, turns out it's the website for people volunteering...
Same deal here, I got given the address of a private clinic :?
By Fflaps
canus insanus wrote:
I know what you're saying, and I think I probably poured all that out onto the keyboard after a really long day at the office, but working with depressed and suicidal young people, as well as bright young things who love life, I'm afraid my sympathy (which incidentally comes between 'shit' and 'syphilis' in the dictionary) cannot extend to an attention-seeking floozie who is only interested really in keeping her column inches up, her name at the column head and the paychecks in. Sorry if that sounds blunt and unsympathetic, but it probably is in her case.
Fair enough, and to be honest I'd also had a shit day! I do think, having read the article, that Brick is genuine, but you're right in that she - unlike most people - has an interest in keeping up her exposure and also has a forum that most of us don't have. We don't know when she had this episode after all; could have been any time. If the Mail would use this as a stepoing off point to give a few people from different backgrounds the chance to talk about their depression, that would be awesome. But they won't, there might be a couple of letters in the dead tree version and it'll be onto the next thing :(
By shyamz
Membership Days Posts
Will I be shouted down in flames if I say that no matter what condition a person has -depression included- using it as an excuse to behave abhorrently towards others, excuse knowingly objectionable behavior or to gain sympathy and further your own ends, is completely inexcusable and makes a mockery of other sufferers who behave in a far more dignified manner and who would rather die than be treated as special or exempt, who handle their conditions far better and which casts all of them in a bad light by association?..No? Good, because that's what I think, and that's what I think Brick is doing. I've nothing more to say about her.
By canus insanus
Membership Days
shyamz wrote:Will I be shouted down in flames if I say that no matter what condition a person has -depression included- using it as an excuse to behave abhorrently towards others, excuse knowingly objectionable behavior or to gain sympathy and further your own ends, is completely inexcusable and makes a mockery of other sufferers who behave in a far more dignified manner and who would rather die than be treated as special or exempt, who handle their conditions far better and which casts all of them in a bad light by association?..No? Good, because that's what I think, and that's what I think Brick is doing. I've nothing more to say about her.
I think you hit that bang on the money.
By canus insanus
Membership Days
davidjay wrote:Looks like she's got the sympathy vote with this one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... break.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The only thing that annoys me about this is the reference to her having no kids - yes, she's fucking precious, self-obsessed, precocious and arrogant about others who don't fit her desired profile (à la Katie Hopkins), but her having no kids is not a reason to slate her.

I don't have kids and the parent mafia have had plenty of goes at me - especially in the job I'm in now - but parents are not the sole arbiters of good taste with a monopoly on common sense and superior moral judgement.
By Fozzy
S Brick wrote:'The number of times I've had my shins run into or I've been knocked off the pavement... You can say it's a joke and they're only children, but we're a society and we've all got to share the pavement.'
I can honestly say this has never once happened to me. Perhaps it's because I go in for radical solutions like looking where I'm going and not assuming that it's my god-given right to have everyone get out of my way.
By canus insanus
Membership Days
Fozzy wrote:
S Brick wrote:'The number of times I've had my shins run into or I've been knocked off the pavement... You can say it's a joke and they're only children, but we're a society and we've all got to share the pavement.'
I can honestly say this has never once happened to me. Perhaps it's because I go in for radical solutions like looking where I'm going and not assuming that it's my god-given right to have everyone get out of my way.
Spot on Fozz - she's making a problem where there really isn't one. I'd have more respect for her if she made it an issue concerning children's fitness, or the sheer size of some of these behemoths, which causes more problem for the parents in fact. Instead she has done a Katie Hopkins and ended up looking a stupid, bitter, anachronistic old maid. Some of those comments about her inability to conceive are fucking awful, though. I'd wager it's because she can't get a decent shag.
By shyamz
Membership Days Posts
canus insanus wrote:I don't have kids and the parent mafia have had plenty of goes at me - especially in the job I'm in now - but parents are not the sole arbiters of good taste with a monopoly on common sense and superior moral judgement.

That's probably enough gifs for now, but you get my point.

By Daley Mayle
I often see stories like these during Bank Holidays where the duty editor has to fill the pages and has to look back through submitted articles that had previously been spiked for being piss poor to find something. Anything.

Private Eye did a recent piece with a spoof article by Max Hastings that bemoaned the lack of wasps this summer.
By canus insanus
Membership Days
Daley Mayle wrote:I often see stories like these during Bank Holidays where the duty editor has to fill the pages and has to look back through submitted articles that had previously been spiked for being piss poor to find something. Anything.

Private Eye did a recent piece with a spoof article by Max Hastings that bemoaned the lack of wasps this summer.
Yes! That was hilarious.
The Mail's Front Page Headline

Okay it's not today's front page but.... https:[…]

Meanwhile in America

Trump = Randall Flagg? It would explain a lot. (M[…]

Toby Young

https://mobile.twitter.com/Pieclone/status/10963[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

anyone not mad enough to sign up to support the p[…]