•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Some of the comments seem to be taking it a step further. Not just wrong for children to be there, but grieving/paying tribute at all seems to be a no no.

Maybe I'm way off the mark, but could this be a case of it being seen as weakness? Which is not right wing? Lefty softies, maybe.

Perhaps it's different with army tributes and Our Boys simply trump that.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:Some of the comments seem to be taking it a step further. Not just wrong for children to be there, but grieving/paying tribute at all seems to be a no no.

Maybe I'm way off the mark, but could this be a case of it being seen as weakness? Which is not right wing? Lefty softies, maybe.

Perhaps it's different with army tributes and Our Boys simply trump that.
Again it's all about PLU. Worthy people should be given the full Victorian treatment with sackcloth, ashes and yards of black crepe. Other people can rot in a ditch.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:I find aspects of grief tourism from strangers a bit odd but that doesn't look like a large affair and many of them may well have been friends and neighbours. But like Carol Sarler I haven't a clue who they are or what their motivation is.
In this particular instance, there were some 500 people from the local community out looking for the child and it is entirely reasonable to think that these are the self-same people.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Perhaps they were part of the search and therefore got quite emotionally involved in the case. I don't know. Personally I wouldn't do it, and in some cases I do wonder why they do do it if it's people completely unrelated to the case. But hey, that's just me and I wouldn't put them up for public fucking scrutiny and criticism for doing it.
Last edited by Safe_Timber_Man on Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Maybe because we are now more secular we no longer have the church as a place to express a loss and this might explain the candles left at these makeshift shrines; in years gone by when people died their friends and relatives would go to church to light a candle. Leaving a token or flowers at a grave or a particular spot goes back thousands of years. Of course the world-weary hacks see such behaviour as being mawkish while at the same time publish photos of items left and the weeping people who leave them.

It's all part of the cycle of a story and we're now in the bit between the news of the death and the funeral. After that there will be the inquest/court case. The child is dead and there's not much more that can be extracted from that apart from the 'last photo' or something lifted from social media or a school's website.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:It's such a weird thing for them to do a whole ranting article about, though.

They didn't seem to mention this "wallowing in tragedy" when kids were present when paying tribute to Lee Rigby.
If they can't do it in Wooten Basset then we don't want anybody else doing it either.
The Trump Presidency

Not just satirists Nancy Pelosi has said the same […]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Can anyone spot the flaws in this plan? https:/[…]

The Group of Seven

Does anyone, anyone at all, see any strategic po[…]

The Sun

We reckon climbing trees is a lot more character-[…]