•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Littlejohn is supposedly trousering £600,000 from the Mail. I shouldn't think Liddle is getting more than a quarter of that. Littlejohn might well see his work as the journalistic equivalent of Gene Hunt firing up his red Audi Quattro twice a week but he's morphed into a Victor Meldrew and his purple Avenger.

Grieg will be wanting to serve his master and the best way to do that is to make Rothermere richer and the best way to do that in the newspaper industry is to cut out the dead wood.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
This, understandably, has not gone down well with those of us who walk upright:

Is it possible to draw Serena Williams without being racist?
https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/09/is- ... ng-racist/

It has been pointed out that Mark Knight, the cartoonist, is very capable of drawing a black woman without being racist:

By Daley Mayle
This story is an abso-fucking-lutely a minefield. For hundreds of years cartoonists have depicted their victims with grossly exaggerated features such as this recent one...

However, if a black person is shown in this manner then it harks back to black racist tropes of the 19th and early 20th century. See also the outrage against anyone of Jewish heritage who naturally sports a large nose and has a cartoon reminiscent of Nazi Germany.

What to do? Treat blacks and Jews differently? Isn't that in itself divisive and perhaps condescending?

If I was a cartoonist I'd steer clear of any subject that might include a black or a Jew and probably end up being called racist because I'm not depicting certain groups of people.
spoonman liked this

By cycloon
I think it's the old issue of historical imbalance. Charicatures of black people were part of their inferior status, reinforcing the roles they were supposed to play, etc, thus a charicature of a black person today looks a helluva lot like one used 100+ years ago, when the role of black people was less contested, and more 'noble savage' or, well, 'savage'. Charicatures of Boris and Rees-Mogg don't rest on a long history of similar imagery (of important, powerful, white men) being used to demean and subdue, but rather ridicule.

Negotiating that as a cartoonist? Well, I got no clue, as you will necessarily be treating subjects differently.

By Daley Mayle
cycloon wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:39 am
I think it's the old issue of historical imbalance. Charicatures of black people were part of their inferior status, reinforcing the roles they were supposed to play, etc, thus a charicature of a black person today looks a helluva lot like one used 100+ years ago, when the role of black people was less contested, and more 'noble savage' or, well, 'savage'. Charicatures of Boris and Rees-Mogg don't rest on a long history of similar imagery (of important, powerful, white men) being used to demean and subdue, but rather ridicule.

Negotiating that as a cartoonist? Well, I got no clue, as you will necessarily be treating subjects differently.
I agree with you 100% but how does a cartoonist ridicule someone who is black though? Looking back over Mac's cartoons, when he shows a real black person he is very careful to give an accurate line drawing of them, recognisable but no distorted features. On the other hand his depictions of racial groups, Muslims, Arabs, Asians are straight from Der Sturmer.

Remember Muralgate when Corbyn made a comment that removing the mural was an attack on freedom of speech? Two of the four characters were Jewish (Rothschild was one of them). the other two were white American bankers who were also shown in a less than flattering way.

This is a good twitter site that has copies of the latest political cartoons. The owner of the site has himself been drawn (literally) into the argument.

https://twitter.com/Cartoon4sale
Sundry far-right groups and parties.

It appears that Anne-Marie Waters' For Britain p[…]

Daily Express headline today

I don't get the Express's angle on this. I would h[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

My experience of (older) Cisco stuff is... not g[…]

Labour, Generally.

Johnson brought this in. As part of his lifelong a[…]