•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
PETER HITCHENS: Billy's plight is awful – but don't be duped into legalising dope
By PETER HITCHENS FOR THE MAIL
He seems surprised that his mother's representatives wouldn't talk to someone whose views on cannabis are unshakeable. Why answer his questions when he's reached a conclusion without them.
But the next day I received a gruff and suspicious dismissal from a source I had never even contacted in the first place, claiming Ms Caldwell was ‘very upset by this line of questioning’. So I left it at that. I have no wish to upset her.

But here is what I concluded. This episode has been much more about snake oil than cannabis oil. Charlotte Caldwell is wholly innocent in the matter, but in my view she is being used by others.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... -dope.html

By Boiler
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:32 am
It's that constant fear of thick right-wingers that 'they' are always trying to trick them, and if given an inch they will take a mile. Peasant thinking.
Maybe that's why on one forum I'm on there's a section devoted to scams/spam where the right wingers alert each other. Can they not actually see the warning signs themselves?

I also encounter right-wingers whose line of questioning is indeed to try and trick others to 'prove' their intelligence.

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
It's that constant fear of thick right-wingers that 'they' are always trying to trick them, and if given an inch they will take a mile. Peasant thinking.

Project Fear?

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
Watchman wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:00 am
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:

Project Fear?
Exactly.

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
Why would Hitchens think anyone would talk to him on medical matters? He believes depression is made up, addiction not real, dyslexia is laziness and antidepressants don't work. All of those things have huge amounts of evidence behind them.

It doesn't matter what they may have told him - he'd have made his conclusion already. Many years ago, in fact.
Catkins liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
If I thought that cannabis, in any form, was a proven help to them, then I would say ‘look the other way while she uses it, since Billy’s plight is so bad, and his life so much in peril anyway that practically anything is worth trying to help him. And work day and night to get the drug past the medical regulatory authorities, provided it passes the tests a modern country requires.'
Once the tests are reached Hitchens can dismiss the results as establishment lies if they don't correlate with the answers he wants.
But I can tell you that I quickly found that this mother and child are surrounded by a high wall of spokesmen, professional PR men, sympathisers and advisers, including one very rich man who has engaged in public campaigns to legalise marijuana for general use.
A wise move as tabloids would have portrayed the mother as an evil dope peddler and child abuser if there wasn't a stronger angle.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:29 pm
A wise move as tabloids would have portrayed the mother as an evil dope peddler and child abuser if there wasn't a stronger angle.
Regardless of the editors' code of conduct, you bet they would.

EDIT. A thought, minders et al paid for by the Sun?

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Peter's gone full Victor Meldrew this week
Football and heatwaves? I can't stand either of them, writes PETER HITCHENS

But could you just please not say to me ‘Wasn’t it great last night? (if it was great), or ‘Wasn’t it terrible last night?’ (if, as is usually more likely, it was terrible). And don’t say it to anyone else, either, unless you know they’re keen.

It’s very similar to the equally infuriating assumption, common among weather forecasters, that everybody likes hot, sunny weather. Lots of people don’t, and I am currently longing for the western wind to blow again and the thrilling sound of rain beating on the roof at night.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... -them.html

By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
A man with a full page column in a national newspaper to say whatever he wants about whatever he wants is complaining that other people occasionally hold forth on things that don't interest him. Self awareness really is a fucking superpower these days.
Boris Johnson

Johnson doesn’t offer up opinions but strate[…]

That's fair enough, and I can think of no better[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Beck took Cambridge up two divisions in as many ye[…]

The Biased BBC

So has anything happened re Robbie Gibb. Or is it […]