•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
He clocks in as the professional contrarian and old fart on everything from the Whine show to Question Time. He has opinions for money, although in his case he's fortunate enough to actually believe them. A happy hooker.
youngian liked this

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
PETER HITCHENS: Gangsters go free but soldiers face trial: proof the IRA won
Peace won. Does he really want to go back to pre-GFA days? And UK soldiers treated as terrorists?
]Quite soon now, a large chunk of our national territory will pass under the rule of a foreign power, as a result of a violent attack on this country.
You may have guessed that the place involved is Northern Ireland. Thanks to the Instrument of Surrender signed by the Blair Government in 1998 at Belfast, a referendum is all it will take to place this area under the control of the Irish Republic. A recent survey by Lucid Talk for the BBC showed 45 per cent would vote to stay British, and 42.1 per cent would vote to leave the UK. In my view, it is a matter of time before there is a majority to leave.

You may say that the transfer will therefore be democratic. But no such vote would ever have been considered if Britain had not given in to the IRA in 1998.
Nobody really expected a united Ireland 20 years ago. If/when it happens soon, the sole cause will be Brexit. Ditto an Independent Scotland.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... A-won.html

By MisterMuncher
Love the conflation of "being a nationalist" and "being the IRA" there.

The legal capacity for a border poll has existed since partition. The GFA merely restated this in slightly stronger terms. Hitchens might remember what happened during partition. There was this chunk of national territory that passed under the rule of a foreign power, under threat of violence from terrorists...
spoonman liked this

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
Arnold wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:21 pm
PETER HITCHENS: Gangsters go free but soldiers face trial: proof the IRA won
Peace won. Does he really want to go back to pre-GFA days? And UK soldiers treated as terrorists?
]...In my view, it is a matter of time before there is a majority to leave.

You may say that the transfer will therefore be democratic. But no such vote would ever have been considered if Britain had not given in to the IRA in 1998.
Ignoring the emphasis he has no idea whether the latter would be true or not if events had been different, and it makes no difference to the validity of the former if it were taken here and now anyway. On the basis of Hitchens' logic we should be claiming back India.

Actually, he'd probably quite like that.

By Catkins
Membership Days Posts
Pete is moaning on his blog that he's been banned from editing Wikipedia.
http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/ ... aughs.html
In the world of Wikipedia I have been arrested, penalised and silenced without trial, denied any freedom to defend myself before any independent or unprejudiced tribunal, and told I can only have my freedom back if I publicly abase myself before the arbitrary authorities.
He continues in this vein for a long time - indicating that the MOS must have good sub-editors.

However if you look at the wiki moderators discussion on this, you'll find that they had the patience of saints!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _Clockback

By AOB
Peter Hitchens wrote:In the world of Wikipedia I have been arrested, penalised and silenced without trial, denied any freedom to defend myself before any independent or unprejudiced tribunal, and told I can only have my freedom back if I publicly abase myself before the arbitrary authorities.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
** Advert alert **
zPETER HITCHENS: The everyday signs that reveal how ounce by ounce, inch by inch, we have ALL hastened the erosion of England
But England (and so Britain, whose foundation is England) is not there.
England seems to think so.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... gland.html

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
He's lost his fucking mind
How do you tell that a country has died? I would say that the moment comes when its people no longer even know that they have lost their culture and their history. They simper vacuously at those who have swindled them, amid the ruins of their inheritance, not even aware that they have been robbed of it. Some people will dismiss the clear, specific evidence I offer for this as trivial, but I will explain why it is not.

I knew Britain was irrevocably dead a few summers ago, as I rode my bicycle through the quiet, largely unspoiled counties between Oxford and Cambridge, a day’s journey I make from time to time to search for the national pulse.

Among these quiet fields and small hills, John Bunyan walked and dreamed of his Pilgrim’s Progress. But I doubt if one in a thousand now living in these parts has even heard of the great English book that once stood, well-thumbed and closely known, next to the Bible on almost every cottage bookshelf.

If, on social media, I point out (as I have done) that man went to the Moon in feet and inches (as he did), that Europe was liberated from Hitler yard by yard and mile by mile (as it was), while the fences of concentration camps were measured in metres and the rations in the gulag doled out by the gram and the litre (as they were), it takes days for the abusive fury of the metricators to die down.

Hitchens would be appalled by the traitors who have taken over our 'real England' village. A UKIP infested campaign against a wind farm a few years back also got short shrift.

Another development has been proposed in the village for 34 dwellings, around Metcalfe Way, Cherry Orchard & Lode Way area.
If you have an opinion on the development which you would like to voice, there will be a meeting at the Arkenstall Centre this Wednesday (15th) at 7:30pm

Mathew J Brown
I say build more us younger lot need houses to live in

Paul Mitchell
Excellent, we need more housing

Not to sound cynical but is it too close to you, eg: not in my back yard?

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
So Hitchens' argument against the using metric measurements is because the Nazis used them, despite it being formally adopted for use in Germany decades prior? F*ck me, and he sees himself as a serious political commentator!

Please someone inform him that the Nazis used radio and television to spread their propaganda in Germany and overseas, so that by Hitchens' reductive reasoning he'll have to be logically consistent and never switch on either device again to listen or watch something.
Labour, Generally.

Didn't think this hand grenade would be lobbed. […]

The Group of Seven

It's just really very funny and underwhelming. It'[…]

Nothing will ever be the fault of their noble Brex[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

All dressed up in rhetoric of the same insincere a[…]