•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By KevS
Membership Days Posts
Oh, Dan. If you do a tweet that is basically available to the entire planet that is dependent on someone knowing about a particular feature on your shows throughout the years that probably only a few people will recognise, then what do you think is going to happen?

Idiotic? Ill-thought? Clumsy? Yes, and now you've got to live with the consequences. After avidly following you for 25 years, and not once hearing or seeing anything the slightest bit racist, I don't think you did that with any malicious intent. But that said, I can't defend you on this. You should have thought of the possible ramifications, and not go near social media after you've had a few drinks.

You fool.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Apparently, Baker has a long and documented history of being amused by images of simians dressed in human clothing - he must have loved the PG Tips commercials.

I do have a certain amount of sympathy for Baker for having been sacked for what amounts to a rather foolish error. I find the argument credible that he is not in any way racist, never having displayed any such tendencies previously, and that the chimp tweet was effectively a disastrous blundering misjudgement on his part.

Logically, if Baker really is a racist, and motivated by a racist outlook in posting the tweet, then fair enough, he should have been sacked. But all the available evidence (the tweet in question aside, obv) suggests that he is not in the slightest motivated by any racist ideology. It simply makes no sense for him to have been a lifelong but otherwise covert racist who has suddenly decided to manifest his racism publicly via a frivolous monkey tweet.

Having said that, in the current climate, the BBC probably felt that there was no alternative to sack Baker. Which I think is a bit of a shame.
Last edited by Abernathy on Thu May 09, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By KevS
Membership Days Posts
Exactly, the in-joke I was referring to was this: Monkeys Dressed As Famous People With Fairground Music

And like I said, the people who would know about this would probably be less than 200k, but Twitter has a potential audience of some 15m, so what has happened is somewhat inevitable. He's a lover of the absurd, the surreal, a big fan of Milligan, Python, and Viv Stanshall, but this was a massive error of judgement, and now he's paid the price. He has nobody to blame but himself.

That said, however, I would question why Farage is still on Question Time tonight, or why Sugar wasn't binned after his tweets last year about the Senegal World Cup squad.
Abernathy, Samanfur liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 12:12 pm
Having said that, in the current climate, the BBC probably felt that there was no alternative to sack Baker. Which I think is a bit of a shame.
FiveLive is mainly sports and entertainment departments which clearly have higher standards than the BBC's news and current affairs department. Which sees itself as a neutral arbitrator between racist liars and boring people with books of facts who are not good box office and not worthy of the airtime of the former.
By Catkins
Membership Days Posts
Kreuzberger has a point. Baker's not stupid. He's a Millwall fan. He gets it.

And he didn't help himself with the 'well, only real racists would think my conflation of a mixed race kid with an ape was anything other than innocent' schtick either.

By Abernathy
But even if Baker really is a card carrying racist (which I'm as sure as I can be he is not), what does he have to gain by tweeting an off colour racist monkey joke about the birth of a mixed race royal sprog that risks his employment ? Makes no sense - unless he actually is stupid, which I think we're all agreed he isn't.

Occam's razor points to cock-up rather than conspiracy, I think.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
The broadcaster, 61, who denied he was racist as he spoke on the doorstep of his £2million home, sparked outrage after uploading the image. He quickly deleted it and described it as a 'stupid unthinking gag'.

Today he said that he was unaware of who the mother of the baby even was: 'I didn't know which of our royal princesses had given birth.
How credible is that?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... image.html

By davidjay
Big Arnold wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:44 am
The broadcaster, 61, who denied he was racist as he spoke on the doorstep of his £2million home, sparked outrage after uploading the image. He quickly deleted it and described it as a 'stupid unthinking gag'.

Today he said that he was unaware of who the mother of the baby even was: 'I didn't know which of our royal princesses had given birth.
How credible is that?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... image.html
With Danny Baker you never know. He's an odd character and I think that part of the current furore is because he doesn't act how people expect him to. He looks the epitome of laddism so Lads don't like him not being laddish. Then modern-thinking Metropolitan Elitists don't like his uncouth ways. And so on.

I also think he's been caught in the crossfire between the Ukip freedom of speech bigots and the permanently offended. At which point I lose my temporary Mailite mentality and return to normal.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

This is beautiful. https://twitter.com/DaddyHoggy[…]

Labour, Generally.

I'm currently sitting in a composite meeting on […]

Boris Johnson

porking on the public purse Now there's a tu[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

How's Milne operating him in that photo? Liza[…]