For all other Mail-related topics
:sunglasses: 54.1 % ❤ 5.4 % :thumbsup: 4.1 % 😯 13.5 % :grinning: 9.5 % 😟 1.4 % :cry: 10.8 % :shit: 1.4 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:12 pm
Badthat, The North , United Kingdom, 3 hours ago
Single men are struggling and are invisible in this society where women are getting full support with a me,me, me, attitude. Blokes in general are too proud and I can only presume he was at an all time low before he asked for help.
+1172 -242

It seems this is a bit of a talking point. This single comment on Mail Online obviously wasn't the reason behind this article today but it's certainly resonated with the readers.

The epidemic of middle-aged men with NO friends: Man, 52, admits he's lonely in viral video that resonates with thousands of others
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... video.html

It appears from the comments that a lot of Mailite men don't have any friends. There will be many many reasons why a lot of people are lonely and without any real companions of any sort. Some through absolutely no fault of their own and they have my genuine sympathy. And some because they are simply unpleasant arseholes that nobody wants to be around.

OrangeDonut, Manchester, United Kingdom, 1 hour ago
I've had no close mates since moving in with a girlfriend when I was 17, I'm now a 42 year old widower with 2 children and never have an adult conversation after finishing work. It's hard I'll admit.
+546 -7
Pater noster, Manchester, 1 hour ago
I'm a 68 year old decent male, estranged, through no fault of my own from most of my old friends and family (except for my loving son) I can tell you that loneliness is just as bad as any disease and will kill you just as surely and painfully !
+349 -7
PipOff, UK, United Kingdom, 1 hour ago
That's my life, and thousands others the same, there used to be so many social groups but if your single those small groups that are left leave you in a corner. I read an article in the papers recently and the person wrote, my best friend is me, I can only rely on me, my social life is with me, how true that is.
+263 -2

Sad stuff.

Then a looked at all 3 of these men's other comments on Mail Online. Racism, sexism, xenophobia, flinging insults at people and just general unpleasantness.

By cycloon
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I'd wager a fair bit of that anger is because of loneliness. How it's directed et al, well, that's up to them. But giving people space and time and attention is key to making people happier, as is proper education.

Problem is, the world of the Mail doesn't want this. It's regressive, insular, proud to a fault, bitter. Everything that stymies true personal and social development.
Timbo liked this

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
cycloon wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:07 pm
I'd wager a fair bit of that anger is because of loneliness.

Yes, that did cross my mind. Bit of a chicken or egg situation. Are those Daily Mail reading men leaving abusive and racist comments on the internet because they're lonely? It's a difficult one and not something I'm qualified to really pontificate about. I just wasn't all that surprised to see some of the most vile people on the internet all nodding along saying "Yep. I don't have any friends either".

By MisterMuncher
I don't think you can separate the general rise of the right from the phenomenon of socially disengaged men festering together online.

Yer alt-right had very strong roots in the MRA subculture online. An atavistic cry of "where the fuck is my privilege?" from them against the browns and the bitches encroaching on their spaces. I have alluded in the past that GamerGate was a major example of how this shit manifests, but remain entirely bereft of a solution.

Deep down, you have to suspect some of them like it. Feeling hard done by is a hell of a drug.

I say all that as a fairly anti-social individual myself.
Catkins, Timbo liked this

By Samanfur
Not the Mail, but I couldn't think of anywhere better to put this particular piece of Santorum:

Yet he thinks that he's the one with good judgement about what's funny. Dunning-Kruger is definitely strong with this one.

By Boiler
Samanfur wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:52 pm
Not the Mail, but I couldn't think of anywhere better to put this particular piece of Santorum:

Yet he thinks that he's the one with good judgement about what's funny. Dunning-Kruger is definitely strong with this one.
No, being an abject, contemptible cunt is strong with that one. As someone who has been in this very situation, it isn't funny. No doubt he thinks the signs at remote level crossings for The Samaritans are PC gorn mad too.

By Samanfur
Boiler wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:18 pm
No, being an abject, contemptible cunt is strong with that one. As someone who has been in this very situation, it isn't funny. No doubt he thinks the signs at remote level crossings for The Samaritans are PC gorn mad too.
Without going into detail, I've rang them myself. Only once, and more to deal with persistent ideation than wanting to actually do anything. That was scary enough.

The volunteers have my uptmost respect.

They have a very strong presence at the railway stations around here. I was waiting to go home from Accrington earlier in the year, when the police brought a chap out past me who'd held up the line for a couple of hours by attempting to jump off the bridge within line of sight of the platform.

I can still picture the bloke's face when the police brought him out past the commuters - who were at least respectful about it. I'd never seen a thousand yard stare like that in person before (although as it happened, I dealt with someone similar at work a few months later) - it was like there was a grey aura around him for a few feet.

By Boiler
The Crescent Bridge at Peterborough used to be an occasional place for this. I am surprised that since the station was remodelled that Peterborough hasn't had anyone try it on what used to be the up fast that passed through the station but never actually had a platform against it.

I did suggest to some miserable old stoat on a train going to work one Saturday bemoaning he was held up by someone who'd stepped in front of a train at one of the outer London stations that it was a pity it wasn't him that'd done it. There was shock on his family's faces, but no response.
The Tories, Generally

I'd be surprised if it had. Most probably the read[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Lunatics that have thrown away their leverage by w[…]

Matthew Goodwin

How does he expect a morally vacuous narcissist li[…]

US election 2020

Heck. Trump won Montana by over 20 last time. Cred[…]