•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Bit difficult, that. Let's just say my name was Andy Smith and I was a heinous criminal. I apply to join the party. I pay my money, fill in the form and whoom, I'm in.

Does the local party secretary say "oh, there was a guy with that name who did a thing, what if it's the same guy?", or do they join the guy up because it's a common enough name and new members and that? And when it emerges I am the baby eating cannibal of old Droitwich town, they suspend or expel me?

By the way, it wasn't Droitwich. It was Bedworth. And you can't prove nuffink.

By Malcolm Armsteen
I don't know if you have anything to do with new member applications, LJB, but it doesn't work like that.

People can sign up online and the first the local party knows is when they are informed by HQ that new members are now registered in their constituency. Names only. CLPs are expected to do the due diligence (I know, because it's me that does it). If, for some reason, that isn't done, or the fact that the new member is a paedophile is missed, perhaps it was never widely reported in the first place, or the offences were committed before all news was available on the net, then they will make it through. The default position is acceptance.

The central party doesn't make any checks (in fact they explicitly passed the job to constituencies) and I imagine the resources to do it don't exist.

So it happens. The only answer can be to expel them once it comes to light, which isn't instant. So the party in question (and I can't imagine other parties are any different) is seen in a dodgy light. Tant pis.

By Zuriblue
Membership Days Posts
And as Mr Fenton pointed out he's only permitted to fly 80 hours a month. (28 days actually) and a flying hour is from engine start to on-blocks. Paperwork, planning, fueling etc isn't included.

http://zelo-street.blogspot.ch/2016/02/ ... usted.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Mail insults its readers.

Are YOU a 'grammar Nazi'? Language pedants are more likely to be introverted and disagreeable
mr_purvs, UK, United Kingdom, 41 minutes ago
The D M are trying to hit back at those who correct their awful grammar and spelling.....
AD89, London, United Kingdom, 38 minutes ago
The irony of the DM bringing up spelling mistakes.
siberiansnowleopard, Krasnoyarsk, Russia, 42 minutes ago
The DM writers must have been dancing with delight reading this. It's not that you're terrible, lazy journalists, it's that your audience is disagreeable...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z44Onm0dER" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By bluebellnutter
DM readers don't strike me as grammar Nazis, TBH there's little to no grammar about it.
Last edited by bluebellnutter on Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PaulOnBooks
Membership Days Posts
Arnold wrote:Mail insults its readers.

Are YOU a 'grammar Nazi'? Language pedants are more likely to be introverted and disagreeable
mr_purvs, UK, United Kingdom, 41 minutes ago
The D M are trying to hit back at those who correct their awful grammar and spelling.....
AD89, London, United Kingdom, 38 minutes ago
The irony of the DM bringing up spelling mistakes.
siberiansnowleopard, Krasnoyarsk, Russia, 42 minutes ago
The DM writers must have been dancing with delight reading this. It's not that you're terrible, lazy journalists, it's that your audience is disagreeable...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z44Onm0dER" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And published just one day after the Guardian's article: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ality-type" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Are these the funniest Facebook fails ever? Hilarious posts that will leave you with your head in your hands sweep the internet
The most terrible typos and unwitting dimwittedness
D M 15 April Of 1,000 motorists surveyed, almost a third said they'd had a small prang with another car in the last year but 12 per cent of these didn't let the other driver know about their mister-meaner.
A man known only as Matthew was left red-faced when he judged his teacher harshly, writing: 'My teacher is so dumb. He thought the sun was a star.'
DM 12 April Nasa begins testing radical 'proton power' system that could send spacecraft to the edge of the universe
Failures of geography are common:
DM 7 Feb 2013 The 113-year-old vessel was built at Connahís Quay in Deeside, Scotland,
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... -125063515" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By GKC
Membership Days
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:People can sign up online and the first the local party knows is when they are informed by HQ that new members are now registered in their constituency. Names only. CLPs are expected to do the due diligence (I know, because it's me that does it).
Out of interest Malcolm, what due diligence are you expected to undertake?

By Malcolm Armsteen
Ask if anyone knows them! Look on the voter list to see if they are supporters or clearly members/supporters of another party. We also check social media, not much beyond that. It's mostly a check that they are who they say they are. We don't have the resources to do much else.
Labour, Generally.

I suspect this has come about becasue the trigger […]

Mark Francois MP

I would love to know how both the BBC and ITV ju[…]

GE 2020

You've a knack for getting right to the heart of t[…]

The Mail & Climate Change

Mailites fling abuse at a 16 year old girl again[…]