•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
On a Gibraltarian news website, it says that the skull coins are freely circulating on the island today, which indicates that are not particularly rare.
No man is an island.
Gibraltar isn't an island.
Gibraltar is a man.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/saving ... sands.html

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Those coins were about as rare as tattoos at a White Van Man convention. :lol:

Since the new style £1 coin came in they shouldn't be turning up in your change, on account of them not being legal tender any more, but there'll still be thousands of 'em knocking about, in coat pockets, down the back of the sofa &c &c.

If idiots are willing to pay silly money for them on ebay I have 4 I can sell. Oh, and a lovely bridge in New York I no longer want. :wink:

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
From gouda and ceviche to haggis: The foods most likely to be pronounced incorrectly - and you might be surprised

and the Italian risotto balls, arancini, which is pronounced: 'a-ruhn-see-ni'.
Chee-nee actually.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/ ... ectly.html

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Things can only get HOTTER! Britain sizzles in 70F as rising temperatures will soar higher than the Med for England's World Cup match on Sunday... with a 90F heatwave set to hit next week
Don't forget to alter the url when half the commentariat point out that it's winter in Rio.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5874339/ Its-carnival-time-Britain-HOTTER-RIO-Englands-World-Cup-clash-Panama.html?

By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Arnold wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:44 am
From gouda and ceviche to haggis: The foods most likely to be pronounced incorrectly - and you might be surprised

Chee-nee actually.

Yeah, been beating that one into wait staff's heads this twenty years

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
This one's puzzling me. How can anyone in the UK get it wrong?
Hailing from Scotland, this traditional dish - one that's a type of savoury pudding made from sheep offal, onions and spices - appears fairly simple to pronounce.

But, to be clear, its official pronunciation is 'hag-gis'

By Boiler
Arnold wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:26 pm
This one's puzzling me. How can anyone in the UK get it wrong?
Hailing from Scotland, this traditional dish - one that's a type of savoury pudding made from sheep offal, onions and spices - appears fairly simple to pronounce.

But, to be clear, its official pronunciation is 'hag-gis'
Haj-jis? Hay-giss?

By Boiler
MisterMuncher wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:16 pm
Arnold wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:44 am

Chee-nee actually.

Yeah, been beating that one into wait staff's heads this twenty years
...and I will swing the next time someone says 'brush-etta' in front of me. It's 'brus-ketta'.

Here's a tip. As Italian doesn't have the letter 'k' in its alphabet, it uses 'ch' before some vowels as a substitute.

Chilogrammi, che. And, fucking bruschetta.

If the letter 'c' appears before 'e' or 'i' you pronounce it as "ch-". If you see it with an 'h', it hardens.

Cesare, as in Borgia. 'g' is another letter where this applies too - this is due to the absence of the letter 'j'. (Other missing letters are W, X and Y although X appears because of X-ray)

Gelato.

If the 'ch-' sound is needed before 'a', 'o' or 'u', you use 'ci-'

Ciao, arancia.

See? That 'O' level wasn't entirely wasted.

Never mind the Italian nosh (and I ain't too sure about how they think you say 'andouilette' either) - how do you pronounce 'chorizo' ?!
Last edited by Boiler on Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Happy memories of people bitching about the pronunciation of "Caesar" in Fallout: New Vegas*, and Chris Avellone, who wrote the bloody game, pointing out it was a Latin title, not a salad.

And people still persisted in telling him he was wrong.

* Being a role-playing game set in a post-apocalyptic Las Vegas, in a setting where the future was as it would have been imagined by people in 1930-50. One of the major factions in-game was "Caesar's Legion", who organised themselves on pseudo-historical Roman Imperial lines. Caesar was consistently pronounced "Kai-zarr" by members of said faction.
sean270674 liked this
Theresa May

John Crace, in The Guardian As so often, when […]

Jeremy Corbyn.

In the words of John Crace in The Guardian , &quo[…]

I suspect ‘All equally’ means haven&rs[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

A shame Germany have their own ideologically biase[…]