:sunglasses: 50 % :grinning: 50 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
davidjay wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:17 pm
See also 1977, when memory would have you believe that Britain was in the grip of the punk rock revolution. The reality is that most kids were into the same vacuous pop they always have been and most of the rest had long hair, flares and a Genesis album under their arm.
Ditto 1988 - the vast majority of the population was not taking E and heading to the nearest warehouse/field
However in 1995 there did seem to be a great many lads wearing shades, sun hats, cagoules, pretending to be from Manchester, and being pointlessly aggressive.
Spot on! In 1977, the 17 year old me had long hair, flares and an Abba album!

(also passed my driving test and crashed and burned with the girl who worked in the paper shop I had a major crush on)
Skeleton of woman who was stabbed to death from behind, a bare knuckle boxer whose head was caved in and a malnourished baby reveal the drudgery of Charles Dickens' London
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... dgery.html
Andy McDandy wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:48 pm
However in 1995 there did seem to be a great many lads wearing shades, sun hats, cagoules, pretending to be from Manchester, and being pointlessly aggressive.
Irrespective of era, the talking heads on TV will say 'ohhhh I loved it. It was a time... y'know... it was a time that, like, ah, it felt like this music was really for us, y'know? It was ours. Like, at the time, there were so many bad things going on, so many changes, we needed an escape, y'know?'

Doesn't matter the decade. Pop culture is a weird mix of the fun and energising, and the utterly banal.
In fairness, those talking heads were probably the creative kids who were avant garde in whatever period their character was forming and prepping them for whatever qualifies them now to be a spokesperson-for-a-generation. No one ever started their media/creative career in their thirties. Except Leonard Cohen and Debbie Harry.
It is pop culture. It plucks receptionists and installs them as singers in Bananarama. These days, it lifts astute and breathtakingly talented young black kids and propels them to positions of huge influence in their micro-generations and marginalised communities. They are butterflies, for sure. Yes, it is pop culture. It is easy to be dismissive. Up there, on the left-hand side of the navigation bar - that's where the critics go to die.

That really is my point. Some creative spirits are like firework factories - everything is geared to one night and one night only. However, they were there, they made their mark, they did something and they proved Andy Warhol right.

Anyone who shrugs off so-called one hit-wonders usually, in my experience, proves Andy Warhol wrong.
The epitome of that is/was probably Paul Yeats. Universally maligned but worked her bollocks off for what she achieved and practically invented Chris Evans.

She would be doubtfully be there now, laying on the sofa, bemoaning a beloved era lost. The same could probably be said for Katie Puckrik.

The second tier, (Stuart Maconie, Gary Bushell etc), never in their puff actually created anything beyond an expenses receipt but their eye-witness reports are, to my mind, still absolutely invaluable.

Thought: how wonderful would it be to have a Pathé exec commenting on the incoming footage of the 40s or 50s?

In other news. Yes, they are largely twats who make their kids cringe to the point that they powder their own vertebrae. But hey, that's your job as a parent.
A picture tribute to how things were: Fascinating images of London in the 50s and 60s, taken by a photographer who describes that time as 'magical'
Hemel, Herts, United Kingdom, 6 minutes ago

Proper genuine Londoners only in view.
White.
Jim Granite, Silver City, United Kingdom, 14 minutes ago

I just see real Brits.

White
mjl6mhg, Sheffield, United Kingdom, 8 minutes ago

That¿s when London belonged to Londoners...
White.
xrayspex, Toronto, Canada, 12 minutes ago

Before the world was ruined and you could speak your mind because you were allowed to have an opinion.
No blacks. No Irish.
Etc.
No pictures of Notting Hill then?

I can see, to a point, where the article is coming from. I think that parts of the country were attractive then, I mean less traffic, less street clutter and no horrible glass box buildings. Also, as a transport enthusiast I like the old cars, buses and lorries.

However, this is not the angle the Mail comments are coming from, they are purely and simply racists who like it solely due to the lack of forriners.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

LIVE: Updates on 'Go slow' Brexit protest on M4 […]

The Trump Presidency

It's all o.k, kids - he's been sent by God... […]

Technical Support Issues - Post here

To create a persistent login, click where it sug[…]

The Sun

Hypocritical shits, again. 'Best of British', inni[…]