•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Messianic Trees wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:33 pm
History fanatic spends a decade and £10,000 turning back the clocks to transform his cottage into a perfect 1940s house - complete with outside toilet
Ben Sansom spent a fortune kitting out his home in Godmanchester to create the perfect 1940s-style house
Mr Sansom fell in love with the 40s as a teenager and made it his goal to live as close to the period as possible
His home is so close to that of one from the 1940s that schoolchildren get tours for their history curriculum

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... house.html
I bet he's been regretting that outside loo when he had to trek through the snow to get there and break the ice in the pan this past week.
It never stopped my great-aunt: mind, her outside loo was still attached to the house, with the coalshed in between. She had a small paraffin heater of the type you used to put under the sump of your car for just this purpose. (Made by Desmo)

Besides which, the true accompaniment to an outside loo is the chamber pot.
Fozzy wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:30 am
Messianic Trees wrote:
History fanatic spends a decade and £10,000 turning back the clocks to transform his cottage into a perfect 1940s house - complete with outside toilet
Ben Sansom spent a fortune kitting out his home in Godmanchester to create the perfect 1940s-style house
Mr Sansom fell in love with the 40s as a teenager and made it his goal to live as close to the period as possible
His home is so close to that of one from the 1940s that schoolchildren get tours for their history curriculum

I bet he's been regretting that outside loo when he had to trek through the snow to get there and break the ice in the pan this past week.
Let's hope he remembered to do that before sitting on it.
Littlejohn's brain wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:55 am
Fozzy wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:30 am
Messianic Trees wrote:

Let's hope he remembered to do that before sitting on it.
Something else doubtless long gone was that you could buy thin expanded polystyrene toilet seat covers to minimise the shock of the cold Bakelite seat.
(historical trivia; Ekco, who made the famous round Bakelite radio sets and later the 'Hostess' trolley, also made toilet seats.)
Boiler wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:00 am

Something else doubtless long gone was that you could buy thin expanded polystyrene toilet seat covers to minimise the shock of the cold Bakelite seat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soft-Comfy-Toi ... C0FZNH8FHM
Anyone ever heard of a tippler toilet? They might have been a Lancashire peculiarity, a long straight pipe, usually about 6 feet, which went into a kind of small sewer where the poo/pee would sit. It was flushed by waste water from the sink, which emptied into a kind of hinged bucket, when it was full, it then used to, hopefully, flush the bristol scale types 1 upwards into the main sewer.
Why you should eat like a PEASANT! Poor Victorians' diet of vegetables and only a little meat is best for health
Rural and isolated areas of England and Scotland have the healthiest diets
They have the lowest death rates from TB, a disease linked to poor nutrition

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z59FaJR2Qc
I wonder...

(has a quick look BTL)

Yep, there it is...
troubled, Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 8 hours ago

Whilst the poor ate the vegetables, the rich ate the meat and lived longer. TB and other conditions which were not treatable at that time are now treatable. TB increasing in UK now due to government "diverse culture" policy.
SoulBoy wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:48 pm
I wonder...

(has a quick look BTL)

Yep, there it is...
troubled, Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 8 hours ago

Whilst the poor ate the vegetables, the rich ate the meat and lived longer. TB and other conditions which were not treatable at that time are now treatable. TB increasing in UK now due to government "diverse culture" policy.
Weren't they attacking Max Moseley for saying that, just the other day?
The Big Smoke in colour: Fascinating images of London painstakingly converted from black and white show how the capital REALLY looked through the decades
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -life.html

They're even worse than usual:

John, London, United Kingdom, 19 hours ago
There are numerous videos of the UK going back to the late 1800s on youtube, they are absolutely fascinating to watch. They also obliterate the lie that we've always been m.u.l.t.i.c.u.l.t.u.r.a.l.
+944 -188
Mos-chops, Inner, United Kingdom, 19 hours ago
Now it looks more like Calcutta.
+864 -109
Binga-Bonga, Out West, Canada, 18 hours ago
How nice it was then, and not a..... h i j a b..... in sight.
+769 -116
|
|
|
|
Ted, Out There Somewhere, United Kingdom, 12 hours ago
They are the only culture who say look at me I'm a Mus.
+77 -10
span4ever, Walsall, United Kingdom, 19 hours ago
"How London really was swinging" ! And WHITE !
+512 -70
Scot Free, England, Canada, 18 hours ago
Compare and contrast to 'modern' London - Khan's lawless crime -ridden cesspit.
+332 -22
Binga-Bonga, Out West, Canada, 14 hours ago
London before it turned into a cesspit .... E n o c h.... P o w e l l.... was right!!!
+176 -24
Yankee Nationalist, New England, United States, 14 hours ago
Back when London was London and not another mu.lticu.ltural cesspool.
+169 -19
Binga-Bonga, Out West, Canada, 8 hours ago
When Britain was great. Then the do-gooders let dross in from all over the world. Dross that don't like you or your culture and have NO respect for woman...................................................E n o c h.....P o w e l l....was right.
+161 -6
Holydogs, London, United Kingdom, 19 hours ago
In those days, when you heard a f0reign language spoken, you knew you were abroad.
153 -21
exLondoner, Southend, United Kingdom, 9 hours ago
London was great then, no M us Lims.
+138 -19
Merrony, Paralimni, Cyprus, 17 hours ago
Not a M!!lim in sight.
+137 -25
yorkshire rose, sheffield, 13 hours ago
The good old days..Where It wasn¿t a crime to be white..And the only P.C we got,Was the one with the Helmet,Dark Blue Uniform and silver buttons...And The Union Jack could be flown without fear..Shame it¿s changed..And not for the better..
+93 -13
Did any of these people actually visit London in the good ol' days? I suspect only in their imagination where Tommy Steele dances down the Lambeth Walk with Purley Kings. For those who moved out after of the war Stevenage and Harlow were futurist paradises compared to the dismal conditions they grew up in the capital long before the darkies moved in.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

LIVE: Updates on 'Go slow' Brexit protest on M4 […]

The Trump Presidency

It's all o.k, kids - he's been sent by God... […]

Technical Support Issues - Post here

To create a persistent login, click where it sug[…]

The Sun

Hypocritical shits, again. 'Best of British', inni[…]