For all other Mail-related topics
  •  
  •  
#334406
Exactly. They constantly try to justify themselves and this sort of article is designed so they can do exactly that. Like you say, especially if they're foreign. If you don't give to charity that's entirely your choice but this attempt to justify it is pathetic when really they simply don't care about giving to charity.

On a side note, speaking of charities. I've noticed there's a real hatred of the RSPCA among Mailites, which is bizarre partly because the Mailites in general are animals lovers (militantly so in some cases) and also because the accusations are that the RSCPA is a left political organisation. Clearly I've missed something in the RSCPA's history but I find the whole hatred of them very strange.
By mojojojo
Membership Days Posts
#334407
Funny isn't it? Selfishness is all, and anyone who does anything for anyone ever for altruistic reasons, is suspicious and must have a hidden agenda.

Yet if they get trapped on ice or their dog falls in a river every public servant of any type is supposed to go on a suicide mission to rescue them without thought for their own, or anyone else's safety. If they don't they're cowards.
#334410
It's very simple. Other people are expected to jump through hoops. Not the Mailite in their chair.

As for the RSPCA, as I recall they have attracted the wrath of the Mail for several reasons. Fox hunting ban, disapproving of shooting badgers for a bit of a laugh, and perhaps most heinously for suggesting that apparently respectable-looking white people can be cruel to animals too, and it's not just those dirty types.
#334413
Andy McDandy wrote: As for the RSPCA, as I recall they have attracted the wrath of the Mail for several reasons. Fox hunting ban, disapproving of shooting badgers for a bit of a laugh, and perhaps most heinously for suggesting that apparently respectable-looking white people can be cruel to animals too, and it's not just those dirty types.
Cheers for that. So no real good reason at all then, it seems. I tried googeling it but couldn't really get an answer. Just that it's a lefty political mouthpiece which is an accusation I don't understand! I thought I'd missed something but perhaps it's simply that the anti-fox hunting movement contained a lot of lefties and fox hunters tended to be Tories.
By lectrospin
Membership Days
#334443
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
Andy McDandy wrote: As for the RSPCA, as I recall they have attracted the wrath of the Mail for several reasons. Fox hunting ban, disapproving of shooting badgers for a bit of a laugh, and perhaps most heinously for suggesting that apparently respectable-looking white people can be cruel to animals too, and it's not just those dirty types.
Cheers for that. So no real good reason at all then, it seems. I tried googeling it but couldn't really get an answer. Just that it's a lefty political mouthpiece which is an accusation I don't understand! I thought I'd missed something but perhaps it's simply that the anti-fox hunting movement contained a lot of lefties and fox hunters tended to be Tories.
Whatever made you think DM readers need a reason!
#334448
lectrospin wrote:
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
Andy McDandy wrote: As for the RSPCA, as I recall they have attracted the wrath of the Mail for several reasons. Fox hunting ban, disapproving of shooting badgers for a bit of a laugh, and perhaps most heinously for suggesting that apparently respectable-looking white people can be cruel to animals too, and it's not just those dirty types.
Cheers for that. So no real good reason at all then, it seems. I tried googeling it but couldn't really get an answer. Just that it's a lefty political mouthpiece which is an accusation I don't understand! I thought I'd missed something but perhaps it's simply that the anti-fox hunting movement contained a lot of lefties and fox hunters tended to be Tories.
Whatever made you think DM readers need a reason!

True, but there is often some bat shit crazy "reason" they use to justify their irrational dislike of things!
 
By Esqui
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#334786
Was arson attack that killed mother and three children a case of mistaken identity? Neurosurgen's wife and family die in house fire day after man was murdered

This is very much a subtle Dacre Drip as well, looking at the comment from the neighbours they have chosen to report:
The neighbour added: 'The family were very well-educated. He was a brain surgeon in Ireland and he brought his family over here to study Islamic literature
'The lads were very pious and one of them was memorising the Koran and was on the ninth chapter.'
'We are all different communities: I am Goan, I think the family with the fire were Muslims from the way they dressed, there are Hindus and there is a Jamaican lady - there is not much communication between all of us.


'We don't say more than hello to each other becasue we can't communicate because we are speaking different languages.
And then we get this sort of compassion:
Very sorry about the death of four people in a dreadfully horrific fire. RIP. The comment by a neighbour that nobody spoke to each other because they all spoke different languages speaks volumes. These are adults in a community in Britain yet they have not mastered the language of the country they have adopted. This can't be right. We can't build unity of any kind without that one common thing - language. The government must insist everyone who comes to this country learns the language or can speak it, - Who gives a ......., Not in PC land, United Kingdom, 13/9/2013 10:30
(this has been removed, but was quoted in another comment)
By Fflaps
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#334840
They said hello to each other, they were civil to each other, one neighbour knew them well enough to know that one of the sons had memorised eight chapters of the Koran. What is this idea that we should all be best mates with our neighbours? I get in with my neighbours (for the most part; see Do you know what I hate?) and we've chatted and helped each other out now and again but we're not best pals. Some of my neighbours don't speak great English but we are still on good terms, you don't need to set the world to rights with someone to get on with them.

Older readers may remember my adventure back in May where I locked myself out - I was helped by a Polish woman, a white British woman and a black African woman, all of whom spoke varying levels of English (better than my Polish or Yoruba/Igbo etc) and all of whom were happy to help a neighbour regardless of background or language.
#334871
When I was a kid, I lived on a small housing estate, with lots of young families. My parents knew and chatted with lots of the other families - our immediate neighbours and those parents of the kids I played with. Because there was a connection there. The couple two doors down with no kids? Hardly knew them. No reason to.

As I grew up, I realised that my parents', and my, circles of friends were not defined by where I lived but by the institutions I was part of. I went to a scout group on the other side of town. My school catchment area grew at each level I went up, until by 6th form I was sharing a classroom with kids from Wolverhampton to Worcester. The rugby team recruited from across the town and surrounding area. Meanwhile my folks socialised with people they worked with or had a common interest with. In fact, we had a name for those with narrow horizons and who never ventured further than the end of their street - we called them Townies, about equivalent to chavs.

The days of whole streets working at the same place are gone (thanks quite a bit to You Know Who). People's frames of reference are wider. Yes, it's sad in a way that you may not know your next door neighbour. But on the other hand, modern lifestyles aren't exactly conducive to that sort of 'neighbourliness'.
 
By Esqui
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#334889
Spot on. I live in a converted house, which is now three flats. I know the names of my neighbours, we exchange pleasantries when we pass each other, and I've occasionally helped one with her computer. But we don't meet up outside, nor have dinner together, or pop in unannounced. I'd say I have a pretty decent neighbourly relationship....but it doesn't extend much beyond saying hello when we see each other.
#343644
That's like a "study" they wrote about a while back. It said that humans were hard-wired to be racist.

I think they are actually consciously trying to tell the Mailites that their disgusting views and general attitudes are okay and telling them to not feel guilty about it. Really quite sinister.
#343652
It's, as Charlie Brooker pointed out when the Mail ran it's 'Right wingers not as intelligent as left wingers' piece a while ago, a case of the Mail trolling its own readership.
  • 1
  • 39
  • 40
  • 41
  • 42
  • 43
Nigel Farage

Or Chris Fowler as he styled himself once he had t[…]

I understand Panasonic are doing the same.

C**t of the day

Similar comments made on the BBC HYS t'other day.

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Poland knows which side it's financial bread is […]