•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By ezinra
Membership Days Posts
About half of the comments on any article today seem to be 'This is the April fool!!!1'.

Is it curmudgeonly of me not to enjoy this tradition of hunt the made-up article? The spoofs are pretty universally naff, which must be why they still wheel out the spaghetti tree. Journalists are bad enough at reporting news, comedy is light years beyond them.

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
ezinra wrote:About half of the comments on any article today seem to be 'This is the April fool!!!1'.

Is it curmudgeonly of me not to enjoy this tradition of hunt the made-up article? The spoofs are pretty universally naff, which must be why they still wheel out the spaghetti tree. Journalists are bad enough at reporting news, comedy is light years beyond them.
Yeah, I find them pretty naff. That said I was amused that Deborah Bull (Creative Director of the Royal Opera House) was taken in by the Shawn Ryder story when she was reviewing the papers on the Andrew Marr show.
By Carlos The Badger
Membership Days Posts
oboogie wrote:
ezinra wrote:About half of the comments on any article today seem to be 'This is the April fool!!!1'.

Yeah, I find them pretty naff. That said I was amused that Deborah Bull (Creative Director of the Royal Opera House) was taken in by the Shawn Ryder story when she was reviewing the papers on the Andrew Marr show.
I'll third that. The Guardian's OK at doing them but the tabloid's are just downright shite. I don't think there's ever been a good one since the island of Sans Serriffe way back in 1977. And even then you have to be a proper typographer to really appreciate the intricacy of it all - or at least know what the terms mean.

-->Edit. History of Guardian hoaxes

By The Brass Moustache
Membership Days
Althea wrote:Cameron asks Shaun Ryder to advise on class and help to detox Tories
After a week of gaffes, No 10 calls in the Happy Mondays singer who helps to launch a T-shirt campaign to banish 'pastygate'
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012 ... ise-tories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dear oh dear, I briefly glanced at this on the Guardian site earlier and stupidly fell for it, seemingly I wasn't alone in this as googling 'Shaun Ryder advising Cameron' brings up an ITV news page link to the story though when you click the link the story has disappeared.
Mind you it is still a lot less ridiculous than getting tax dodging arsehole Philip Green to produce a report for you on government spending.

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
The Brass Moustache wrote:Dear oh dear, I briefly glanced at this on the Guardian site earlier and stupidly fell for it, seemingly I wasn't alone in this as googling 'Shaun Ryder advising Cameron' brings up an ITV news page link to the story though when you click the link the story has disappeared.
You weren't alone (see 3 posts up this thread), at least you did fall for it on national television.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Good one:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/?new ... 78&olo=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By Carlos The Badger
Membership Days Posts
Arse!!! I actually fell for this. :lol: :lol: Stupid day falling on a Sunday.
It is possible to write 25 GB of data on a regular CD

By Machmeter. Original by Lionel - 01/04/2012 10:46:47 CEST - Category: CD Drives

There are 3 main types of optical discs, CD, DVD and Blu-ray. Without telling anyone and while sales have been going down continuously, manufacturers have decided to group the production of all three types of discs, allowing to make important economies of scale. The situation is now pretty close to what we have know for processors, which are at first coming from one single type of chip before going through tests determining whether it can be sold as an entry-line or high end model. The rest is decided based on the orders that have to ship at that time. Optical disc manufacturers do exactly the same and decide at the end of the production line whether the media will be sold as a 700 MB CD, 4.7 GB DVD or 25 GB Blu-ray, by burning a code on the disc before it ships.
Of course, no information was given about that, but the trick was discovered and tested successfully.
Therefore, it is now possible to insert a blank CD in a Blu-ray burner and write 25 GB of data on it. Of course, it is not all that simple, first you have to trick the burner to make it look like you inserted a blu-ray and then patch the the IOMassStorage extension. We put all the explanations and the needed patches in a zip file that you can now download:

files.zip
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

This is beautiful. https://twitter.com/DaddyHoggy[…]

Labour, Generally.

I'm currently sitting in a composite meeting on […]

Boris Johnson

porking on the public purse Now there's a tu[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

How's Milne operating him in that photo? Liza[…]