For all other Mail-related topics
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
We get these from time to time, so I figured there should be a thread for these "my toaster is 4,000 years old and I don't care if it offends Muslims" stories.

First up we have this man with his bizarre attachment to his childhood tumble dryer. A dangerous, woefully inefficient lump of tat that perfectly illustrates why, just because you can still use something, doesn't necessarily mean that you should:

Doesn't this belong in the Science Museum? The remarkable 50-year-old tumble dryer still going strong after 15,000 cycles
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... trong.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By glasgowgril
Membership Days Posts
Subliminal agenda here:

1. it's old but it's better/more durable than more recent stuff. Like the average Mail reader.
2. it was made in Britain (I presume) by sturdy white workers, ergo it's better than modern stuff made by teh ethnics.
3. it has nothing modern or computerised or hi-tech about it, ergo it's better than modern stuff which does have these things.
4. it is not fashionable ergo it's better than slick modern stuff.

Etc, etc.

I must admit my standard MO is to keep stuff till it breaks down rather than replace it, unless it's so hopelessly out-of-date as to be ridiculous (eg black and white TV, ancient clunking desktop computers). But I don't make a fetish of it.

By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Hmmmm, 50 years old???? The Parnall company did indeed start make tumble driers from their Bedfordshire base in 1946, of course then they were known as "forced convection" units. However there are several things that don't add up with the photograph. The first is that the "front loader" was introduced in 1962, some four years AFTER it was supposedly bought. The colour of the drier is known as Withington Creme, it was the first none white drier, and was manufactured in Southern Italy in 1965 (until 1979}. The "two dial" mechanism, known as the simplified controlled panel, was only produced for the domestic market in 1974. Now for the clincher, take a closer look at the screws on the side of the drier. It was only model ADWER-410P, that had its screws it that location, and it was only produced between 1978 and 1981. The little boy in the story is quite clearly wearing glasses but the man appears to have perfect eye sight.
- John Ericsson, Leeds, yorkshire, 3/10/2011 19:50
It's not only CotD material where words fail....

By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
glasgowgril wrote:I must admit my standard MO is to keep stuff till it breaks down rather than replace it, unless it's so hopelessly out-of-date as to be ridiculous (eg black and white TV, ancient clunking desktop computers). But I don't make a fetish of it.
I tend to follow that rule myself, although in the case of a dryer, I think something that old would fall into the 'gigantic fire hazard' category.
davidjay wrote:
Hmmmm, 50 years old???? The Parnall company did indeed start make tumble driers from their Bedfordshire base in 1946, of course then they were known as "forced convection" units. However there are several things that don't add up with the photograph. The first is that the "front loader" was introduced in 1962, some four years AFTER it was supposedly bought. The colour of the drier is known as Withington Creme, it was the first none white drier, and was manufactured in Southern Italy in 1965 (until 1979}. The "two dial" mechanism, known as the simplified controlled panel, was only produced for the domestic market in 1974. Now for the clincher, take a closer look at the screws on the side of the drier. It was only model ADWER-410P, that had its screws it that location, and it was only produced between 1978 and 1981. The little boy in the story is quite clearly wearing glasses but the man appears to have perfect eye sight.
- John Ericsson, Leeds, yorkshire, 3/10/2011 19:50
It's not only CotD material where words fail....
Bat-shit lunatic. Still, I marked him up just to piss off the rest of them. Pity they don't seem to letting any more comments through. :cry:
Timbo wrote:
glasgowgril wrote:I must admit my standard MO is to keep stuff till it breaks down rather than replace it, unless it's so hopelessly out-of-date as to be ridiculous (eg black and white TV, ancient clunking desktop computers). But I don't make a fetish of it.
I tend to follow that rule myself, although in the case of a dryer, I think something that old would fall into the 'gigantic fire hazard' category.
Me too - even though I'm a bit of a tech-head I like to keep stuff as long it works (or even doesn't in some cases). A bit like the Soviet military, finding a new use for obsolete crap (sad bastard).

Apart from a fire hazard that piece of junk will cost the dick a fortune to run. Good!
Last edited by Carlos The Badger on Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
Presumably John Ericsson is in the trade and not just a tumble-drier spotter. This all-consuming passion however has denied him the time to study developments in ophthalmology. He is clearly a stranger to the contact lens and believes laser surgery to be the stuff of science fiction. He is similarly ignorant of the concept of vanity, whereby some people, on occasion, may choose to remove their glasses (prior to posing for a photograph which is to appear in a national newspaper for example).

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
I have a microwave which probably counts as an antique, I don't know it's exact age but very early 80s. The ex-Mrs O'Boogie's Great Aunt won it in a raffle. She didn't want it and it sat boxed up in her garage until she died in the mid 90s when it was passed to us. Works fine (bit noisy) and I see no reason to replace it until it dies.

Which, like others, is my default position with most things e.g. I own about 10 portable radio/cd/cassette players, bought at intervals over 25 years. Only one of them has all three functions still working.
Last edited by oboogie on Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

I only smirked because it was f**king hilarious, […]

Paul Thomas Redux

What's that ill-defined structure to the right of […]

Team Bercow!! It's about time somebody pulled the[…]

Reasonably epic Mail Fail

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/03/18/15/111424[…]