For all other Mail-related topics
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By shyamz
Membership Days Posts
Fflaps wrote:Old Junk that Still Works - Festive edition!

Still glowing strong, my 45-year-old fairy lights: Pensioner has only had to change one bulb since she bought set from Woolworths in 1969

Looks like the tree is even older (ahem).
As is the wallpaper.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Could your old record player be worth hundreds? Renewed love affair with vinyl is boosting demand - here's how to make money and great music from vintage hi-fi

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/invest ... hi-fi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ive got one or two candidates for this, which the model train fraternity on here will know what I am talking about, Hornby Dublo Castle, 8F, Duchess of Montrose, 2-6-4 tank and N2. All made by Meccano Ltd, of Binns Road, Liverpool.
The 3 rail stuff was very good. One of Dublo's errors was changing over to a 2 rail system and having to keep both versions in production. Also, the 2 rail track system they changed to wasn't good, it was electrically complicated and wasn't self isolating, Triang's was much simpler and worked better, as well as cheaper, so they started to lose sales.

I know they weren't the most accurate of models, but I have always thought they captured the essence of the prototype better than many more recent ones do

By Boiler
A mate of mine has been doing up old Dansette, Bush and Fidelity record players for years - bought from boot fairs for a few tens of pounds and generally sold in the low hundreds on ebay.

The radiograms mentioned often sell for a lot of money because their separate internal amplifiers are rather prized in the Far East - a lot of nice upmarket old radiograms (R.G.D./Decca/Dynatron) get cannibalised for these, like my Dynatron Ether Princess did.

The top-rated comment is utter nonsense.

One of my future plans is to build a 3-rail layout in the loft. I have the bits, all I need is the motivation...
Last edited by Boiler on Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've got a layout in my loft, 2 rail though. Mixture of Triang and Dublo. Tip - don't bother with Lima or Mainline locos, they look OK but the mechanisms are rubbish.

By Boiler
mr angry manchester wrote:I've got a layout in my loft, 2 rail though. Mixture of Triang and Dublo. Tip - don't bother with Lima or Mainline locos, they look OK but the mechanisms are rubbish.
Yebbut... when I was a teenager, only Lima did a passable Deltic!
Boiler wrote:
mr angry manchester wrote:I've got a layout in my loft, 2 rail though. Mixture of Triang and Dublo. Tip - don't bother with Lima or Mainline locos, they look OK but the mechanisms are rubbish.
Yebbut... when I was a teenager, only Lima did a passable Deltic!
Lima's Deltic was sort of hybrid OO and HO scale. In the mid 70s Lima tried to get British outline HO models established but failed pretty dismally. They only did two locos, a class 33 and a 4F, the Deltic was the next one lined up and they had already done the chassis/wheels in HO, rather than retool, they extended the base a bit and put a OO scale body on the underscale wheels/bogies. I always thought their Mark 1 coaches had this too, their running gear looked too small, but the slightly later Mark 2s were pretty much correct

By Big-Iain
Membership Days
Seems like they're taunting us.
They don't make them like they used to! The tumble dryer, boiler, cooker and washing machine that pensioners bought for £146 in the 1950s and STILL WORK perfectly today
Sydney, a retired accountant, believes that 'things were made better' in those days, and Rachel wants the collection to go to a museum to inspire the next generation
Yep, that's a museum I'm likely to visit for inspiration.
A closer read of the article reveals a few oopsies. " the last time it was used was 12 years ago" and " tumble dryer bought in 1963" and " they have kept them as spares for a number of years " and "'The last time the cooker was used was 28 years ago ". Doesn't detract much from the basic story, I agree, but...

By Boiler
Big-Iain wrote:Seems like they're taunting us.
They don't make them like they used to! The tumble dryer, boiler, cooker and washing machine that pensioners bought for £146 in the 1950s and STILL WORK perfectly today
Sydney, a retired accountant, believes that 'things were made better' in those days, and Rachel wants the collection to go to a museum to inspire the next generation
Yep, that's a museum I'm likely to visit for inspiration.
Oddly enough, it is the sort of museum I would visit. I find industrial design fascinating.
Is this Britain's oldest Christmas tree? Festive fir has survived gale force winds and Hitler's bombs since first being bought 97 years ago

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -tree.html
Paul Thomas Redux

PAUL THOMAS on... war memorial vandalism https[…]

Meanwhile in America

My bad. There was more to the story. Trump is[…]

No-deal Brexit would mean hard Irish border, E[…]

Theresa May

I don't see much hope for a Global Britain when Th[…]