For all other Mail-related topics
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Fflaps wrote:I'm not sure he is Britain's most celebrated photographer, several other names spring to mind before his.
It actually says that he is Liverpool's most celebrated photographer - I must admit I had never heard of him. His stuff's not bad, though. It's just another general interest filler, really, with a couple of good Mail-style English fails. Quite interesting.
This, it should be said, is what newspapers do...

By ezinra
Membership Days Posts
Boy who bought a $1 camera at garage sale finds photo of his uncle inside - 23 YEARS after relative died in car crash
This is no coincidence to me. I believe it's divine intervention.Truly.

- Becky, Dallas, USA, 27/5/2012 5:23 Rating 136
Becky also believes this is how the Shakers got their name.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Neon light left on for 77 years discovered during renovation of landmark restaurant (but who's paying the $17,000 electric bill?)

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1wLIkcqhg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
ezinra wrote:Becky also believes this is how the Shakers got their name.
Whereas in fact, as everybody knows, The Shakers got their name when lead singer Roddy Teachest was inspired by bass player Reggie Washboard's attempts to season his supper in the Lite A Bite caff in Mathew Street after a gig at the Cavern in 1961.
By storygirl
Membership Days Posts
Carlos The Badger wrote:
Timbo wrote:
glasgowgril wrote:I must admit my standard MO is to keep stuff till it breaks down rather than replace it, unless it's so hopelessly out-of-date as to be ridiculous (eg black and white TV, ancient clunking desktop computers). But I don't make a fetish of it.
I tend to follow that rule myself, although in the case of a dryer, I think something that old would fall into the 'gigantic fire hazard' category.
Me too - even though I'm a bit of a tech-head I like to keep stuff as long it works (or even doesn't in some cases). A bit like the Soviet military, finding a new use for obsolete crap (sad bastard).

Apart from a fire hazard that piece of junk will cost the dick a fortune to run. Good!
I too belong to the if it works don't chuck it group. Have the electric whisk my mum bought as a present for my Gran 35 years ago. works fine. However unlike the tumble drier it doesn't use more electricity than a modern whisk. I would love to see the energy rating for his.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
They don't make them like that any more! Lightbulb produced before the Titanic sank is still shining brightly 100 years on
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z20V4Bnrqg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By shyamz
Membership Days Posts
Reasonable comments, like if he keeps parading it around it will get dropped and broken (red arrowed), that it would cost a fortune to -poorly- light a house with them and that the reason the thing is still working is probably just due to the thicker filament and the fact that these old bulbs didn't even produce as much light as a candle but of course much more heat.

Naturaly there is a nutter with nothing else in his life to do reccomending a video online about the great lightbulb conspiracy.

I still cannot see what the problem is with energy saving bulbs for some people, the light from mine is fine and even if we didn't need to worry about the environment -which I think we do- they would at least still save you money.
Last edited by shyamz on Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
shyamz wrote: I still cannot see what the problem is with energy saving bulbs for some people, the light from mine is fine and even if we didn't need to worry about the environment -which I think we do- they would at least still save you money.
That's my attitude too although I know there are people on here who disagree.
The ones which I have do take a few seconds to get to full brightness but, as I never ever rush into a room and immediately start threading needles, a moment's gloom really doesn't bother me.

By ezinra
Membership Days Posts
Toy car built from scrap in 1937 gets new lease of life after being passed down to creator's two-year-old great great grandson

Mechanic William Huggins made the car in 1937 for his six-year-old son Arthur - Alfie's great grandfather - using a bedstead for the chassis, a bicycle saddle for the driver’s seat, wheels from a pram and an engine from a motorbike.
Potentially a classic of the genre, except that this is old junk which doesn't work:
'The only thing is, he died before he could get the engine running again, and I’d love to get it going, so I’m hoping someone will be able to help me.'
Paul Thomas Redux

PAUL THOMAS on... war memorial vandalism https[…]

Meanwhile in America

My bad. There was more to the story. Trump is[…]

No-deal Brexit would mean hard Irish border, E[…]

Theresa May

I don't see much hope for a Global Britain when Th[…]