For all other Mail-related topics
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
It's a human interest story, right? One where the only agenda is nostalgia and it is not intended to pit one group or section of society against another, yes.

Only an utterly drip-soaked mailtard could post this;
how lovely :) I don't blame him one bit !

- lj, somerset, 10/9/2013 16:15

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Messianic Trees wrote:Thrifty gardener uses the same digging fork first used by his grandfather in 1883

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2cPnwa2xs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who are you calling an old hoe - that happens to be my wife.... Wellies, Barbour - Door...
Some classic comments on the old geezer story, too
We have the same problem here. I still have my first frig from 30 years ago and use it as a 2nd one in the garage, and I have gone through two brand new ones in the last 10 years. That just infuriates me. I honestly think the quality now is so bad for manufactured like this.

- Zee Chen , San Francisco, 10/9/2013 17:34
Whut?
I was also born in the house I am writing this in, 68 years ago, during a raging snowstorm in December 1944. I have never moved, but spent most of my married life modernising and improving it. However, behind the false wall in the kitchen is a blackened lead grate and oven, and in the ash pan are 3 smoothing irons, ready for the next disaster to strike this country. As we grew up in the cold war, under the threat of nuclear attack, I never knew when they may be needed.

- Oldcogger, Birmingham, United Kingdom, 10/9/2013 17:48
I'm going out now, I may be gone some time...
By lectrospin
Membership Days
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:Some classic comments on the old geezer story, too
We have the same problem here. I still have my first frig from 30 years ago and use it as a 2nd one in the garage, and I have gone through two brand new ones in the last 10 years. That just infuriates me. I honestly think the quality now is so bad for manufactured like this.

- Zee Chen , San Francisco, 10/9/2013 17:34
Whut?
I was also born in the house I am writing this in, 68 years ago, during a raging snowstorm in December 1944. I have never moved, but spent most of my married life modernising and improving it. However, behind the false wall in the kitchen is a blackened lead grate and oven, and in the ash pan are 3 smoothing irons, ready for the next disaster to strike this country. As we grew up in the cold war, under the threat of nuclear attack, I never knew when they may be needed.

I'm going out now, I may be gone some time...
If they drop a nuke down his chimney he might just be ok.
By Fozzy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts

Thank goodness for that. Come the apocalypse, I'm heading for Birmingham to join the queue for Oldcogger's smoothing irons. There's nothing worse when you're in the middle of out and out nuclear war than having unironed clothes.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Grandfather still uses 78-year-old Hoover which was built the same year Edward VIII abdicated and has never been repaired - and it is only four years younger than him

Wiring probably lethal, and electrical brushes shot.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z36DyQQczZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
When we married in 1972 our respective families gave us loads of stuff they no longer wanted such as 1940s utility furniture, mismatched crockery and cutlery. Amongst all this stuff was a Hoover that was very similar and of the same vintage. It worked really well and we kept it for a few years until we could afford a newer model. It was the smell that came off some dodgy electrics that decided the upgrade, there is a distinctive fishy aroma that burning Bakelite gives off.

The utility furniture lasted us for ten years until we moved and donated them to a younger couple who had just married. It's now very collectable goddamit.
By shyamz
Membership Days Posts
Arnold wrote:
Grandfather still uses 78-year-old Hoover which was built the same year Edward VIII abdicated and has never been repaired - and it is only four years younger than him

Wiring probably lethal, and electrical brushes shot.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z36DyQQczZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not to mention that the amount of dust leakage is probably colossal.
The Trump Presidency

Sadly, quoting Baltimore at these people is a wast[…]

Momentum

Momentum strongly criticized here by neoliberal au[…]

Endangering Democracy

And Dr Ault leaps to the conclusion that "thi[…]

Labour, Generally.

Personal right to anonymity? I think the lion's […]