For all other Mail-related topics
:sunglasses: 59.4 % ❤ 2.9 % :thumbsup: 4.3 % 😯 2.9 % :grinning: 21.7 % 🙏 2.9 % 😟 1.4 % :cry: 1.4 % :shit: 2.9 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts

This reply reminds me of the Black Country Bugle, a weekly newspaper dedicated to the history of, er, the Black Country. On the rare occasions I've read it they tend to have a front page lead along the lines of "People are afraid as never before. Criminals roam unchallenged, crime is rife and the streets are no longer safe to walk. Never have there been such violent, lawless times. Inside - the next part of our fascinating series Horrific Black Country Murders Through the Ages."
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Yes, these Facebook groups about local areas tend to go in that direction. I'm in two, one about Bury and Radcliffe and one on Handforth. There is sometimes some useful and interesting stuff on them, and some good old photos, but there is also a lot of generic shit about "do you remember when the coalman used to come round" or old chocolate bars and other tedious crap

By Andy McDandy
I'm reminded of an episode of Auf Wiedersehen Pet, where Dennis is reminiscing about Sunday afternoon radio and beginning to sound all nostalgic about Junior Choice and hammond organ favourites and so on, before saying "Yeah, Sundays were reet crap when I was a nipper".

By Bones McCoy
Regarding that food post.
A couple of family anecdotes.

My Uncle was working as a banana ripener for Fyffes by the end of the '50s.
He certainly wasn't furloughed for most of the year bar Christmas.

Clearing out an old relative's attic we came across her recipe book.
She had been a cook at a "big house".
The recipes included several curry dishes and instructions on how to peel a pineapple.

Yon post is a load of 4 Yorkshiremen bollocks.

By davidjay
mr angry manchester wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:52 pm
Yes, these Facebook groups about local areas tend to go in that direction. I'm in two, one about Bury and Radcliffe and one on Handforth. There is sometimes some useful and interesting stuff on them, and some good old photos, but there is also a lot of generic shit about "do you remember when the coalman used to come round" or old chocolate bars and other tedious crap
I'm in one of them. It's fascinating at first to see old places and people, then you realise the code being used:

"Things were better then" - the neighbours were all white.
"You can't say that any more" - you can't say why things were better then.
"Salt of the earth" - disgusting old bigot.

And when I look at a few profiles, the ones festooned with union flags and I Back Boris are the ones I remember from school as horrible bullies.

By Abernathy
I'm on a couple of those FB groups too - one for Brum, and one for my home town of Paisley.

What they all have in common is that somebody will post an old picture of something or other, which is then followed by a succession of inane, utterly tedious comments telling you stuff that you simply do not need to know. That nobody needs to know.

Examples : "I used to work there from 1958 to 1966". "My Uncle Cedric was the chief spangle thruster there until 1970".

Jeebus.

By MisterMuncher
I can't imagine what happens to a person that causes them to celebrate ignorance and a lack of experience of the world as something to be proud of. You used to see it with culture, literature film, books and art, a delirious sense of moral rectitude that came from hating anything that came from further than two townlands away, or less than three centuries old. Now, we're moving onto food, and the same fucked up "it was all shit, as we're admitting with our implications of how very hard we were to survive those hair-shirt days, but it was still better than now, with your modern, foreign ways".

Nostalgia remains hands-free masturbation.

By Bones McCoy
It's an odd world isn't it.

There are plenty of us here who enjoy "old stuff": Trains, warplanes, costume role-playing, guitars, even old woodworking tools.
I'm sure we occasionally go a bit dewey eyed about particular encounters.
An artefact with a history, used by real people in the course of their lives - who woudn't be moved by the humanity of it all.

I'd hazard that few of us find that dewey eyed moment triggering a full on attack of "better times", and the inevitable diatribe against anything new.
Trains that can complete a journey without stopping for coal and water.
Warplanes that can do the work of tens of old ones.
Clothes that you can "just bung in a washing machine", without having to disassemble them for individual cleaning.
In fact washing machines, what's wrong with a monthly dip in the river.
We had to do change in pennies and shillings - of course you never saw a shilling..

It's the insistence that later generations ought to suffer just like the "good old days". *
They are the bastard children of Enoch Powell and Mrs. Brady off of the Viz.

* The good old days being about 2 generations before the gammon fuckwit speaker was born.

By Bones McCoy
MisterMuncher wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:54 pm
No-one has ever lived through a golden age. Only their grandchildren could do that.
I visited a lot of "Golden age" properties and museums during my years working near Amsterdam.

While the golden age was better than some of the years that proceeded it, it sounded pretty shit to me.
Relatively wealthy middle class types dying of hypothermia in their fancy canalside apartments.
Goodness knows what it was like for the poor.
Some hefty religious violence despite the institutional tolerance.
Sailors signing up for a there and back voyage to the Indies suffered a 30% fatality rate.

ie All the usual huddled teeming masses stuff, but with canals and nice gables.

Keir must be feeling pretty let down by him. Pos[…]

The Biased BBC

Anything about Kuenssberg and her 'sources'?

Sir Keir Starmer

Why do I get the feeling this thread title will be[…]

Meanwhile in France

Sadly, another knife attack: this time in Nice, wi[…]