For all other Mail-related topics
:sunglasses: 55.8 % :thumbsup: 5.8 % 😯 3.8 % :grinning: 25 % 🙏 3.8 % :cry: 1.9 % :shit: 3.8 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Boiler
As I was driving home tonight from the hospital I was passed by a fire engine, an ambulance and a couple of cop cars. I think they were on their way to attend to the wreckage of his career :lol:
Schmee liked this

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Eh?

24th Foot was based in Brecon. It became the South Wales Borderers in 1881 as part of the Cardwell Reforms (tries to recall 1969 dissertation) and always had a Welsh orientation - though like all regiments it recruited nationally - Private Hitch VC was from Middlesex.

By Malcolm Armsteen
http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/myths/myths.htm
Well, it wasn't quite like that. In fact, the county designation of the 24th Regiment in 1879 was the 2nd Warwickshires; they didn't change their title to the South Wales Borderers until 1st July 1881 - almost exactly two years after the war had ended. True, the Regimental Depot had been established at Brecon, in South Wales, in 1873, and from that point there was a small but significant increase in Welsh recruits in the ranks. In fact, however, recruits for the regiment - like every other battalion in the British army - were signed on at recruiting depots across the country, and the 24th consisted of men from England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. The most that can be said is that the Welsh connection had, by 1879, led to a rather higher proportion of Welshman in the ranks than was common elsewhere. Nevertheless, even the most optimistic search of the regimental roll can find only 19 men of B Company, 2/24th, with any sort of Welsh connection - out of a total strength of more than 80. Of course, there were detachments of numerous other units - including Colonial Volunteers - present at the battle, making a total garrison of about 145. So the Welsh contingent comprised no more than 15% of the total.

And no-one, I'm sorry to say, sang Men of Harlech; the regimental march in 1879 was The Warwickshire Lads."

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
oboogie wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:49 pm
Bones McCoy wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:36 pm
"Men of Harlech" doesn't sound as profound in Jasper Carrott accent.
Racist.
Your wokeness is making Larry cry.
oboogie liked this

By spoonman
youngian wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:36 pm
Even Farage would know about the high price Sikh regiments paid in Flanders. This Fox prick is dredging down deep in the sewer for bottom feeders.
All he has to do now is make a video standing in front of a map of the world, and Paul Joseph Watson will start taking legal steps for gimmick infringement.

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:36 pm
Even Farage would know about the high price Sikh regiments paid in Flanders.
Funny you should say that.
Last night on YouTube I watched a Sun video in which Farage reviewed 1917.
Given the title was "Absolute nonsense!" Nigel Farage debunks revisionist history on WW1 and the British Empire", I was anticipating Farage moaning about 'woke' tokenism because of the presence of the Sikh soldier.
Astonishingly, I couldn't have been further from the truth, he was full of praise for the film and he actually emphasised the role of Empire and Commonwealth troops.
I end up sitting through the whole 40 minute interview, waiting for him to say something outrageous to justify the title.
But he didn't.

For the record, his only complaints about the film were that the weather and season were historically inaccurate (it's shown as a warm Spring, whereas apparently it was snowing that day) and also he felt the presence of a knocked out tank at that place and time was unlikely as, by that date, few/no tanks had been used in that battle.

I feel cheated.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
I was anticipating Farage moaning about 'woke' tokenism because of the presence of the Sikh soldier.
Astonishingly, I couldn't have been further from the truth, he was full of praise for the film and he actually emphasised the role of Empire and Commonwealth troops.

It appeals to his imperial nostalgia that the British empire was a family of nations in which the wogs loyally repayed Blighty for bringing them civilization. A few months getting paid to go to the Western front with chips, chocolate and French ladies on tap is what motivated skint young men from Karachi or Durham in 1914.
oboogie liked this

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts

"People should be allowed to say what they feel"...

Such a fucking weak, unthinking, cop out defence for talking shite and getting called out on it.

"Feeling" does not and never should trump facts and logic. Unfortunately, feeling strongly about something holds more weight than anything else in this current climate.

By Boiler
It's the wilful misinterpretation of the "freedom of speech" thing again, isn't it?

Yes, by all means you can say stuff you feel is 'right'. But don't come the wronged maiden when you get called out on it.

Or, in other words: "chat shit, get banged".

I wonder who interviewed him on GMB?

By The Red Arrow
Oooer, missus! Here's hoping that if not killed off in a baffling case involving Oxford's West Indian community, voodoo rituals, his rectum and a coconut, a certain character in a Morse spin-off is reduced to irksome tit desk sergeant in Montalbano status.

By MisterMuncher
I wonder, not idly, how much of this comes back to expensive educational institutions that prize debate and rhetoric as a standard of proof above the real world preference for evidence and observation?

A correlation between lower intelligence and general political extremism and grotesque over-simplification?
Labour, Generally.

https://twitter.com/DawnButlerBrent/status/1292419[…]

Sundry far-right groups and parties.

Potential piracy ahoy. That's grounds for the Roya[…]

And the press will not just have a field day w[…]

Roll Call

Happy sunday, hound-lovers. https://i.postimg.c[…]