For all other Mail-related topics
:thumbsup: 50 % :cry: 50 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
 
By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#420046
So we should say "Can I receive a coffee, please? "

I sympathise with Ray's point, but his rant is off-beam. Surely people should be saying "May I have a coffee, please? "
#420063
"Could you confirm your address?"

"Go on"
"What?"
"You tell me what you think it is and I'll confirm whether or not it's correct."
"I can't do that."
"Don't you have my address?"
"Yes I do. Can you confirm it please?"
"OK - go on..."
#420065
The reason for being a pendant about this is that words have specific, and often fine, meanings. To have and to be are quite different things, but if we keep blurring them we will lose the distinction, and accurate use of language will be more difficult.

We used to have two words, with different meanings, both useful.

Dissect [dis-sect]- to forensically disassemble;
Bisect [bi-sect] - to halve an angle or mathematical representation.

They collided, and now we have [di-sect] and bisect is going out of use.

Language evolves, but is should evolve towards greater, not lesser precision.
#420175
There was a reporter standing outside Parliament yesterday, reporting on the Budget and talking about the 'lowly paid'.
#420207
youngian wrote:Also the luvvie poofs might be in league with ISIS

Image

Found that on this site with Mailwatchers will enjoy

http://www.pointlessletters.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And if they did they'd be ramming it down out throats and neglecting the real (Western Hostages and Indigenous Chistian) victims.

That's how I imagine Kelvin and his circle jerk of shock jocks would describe it.
#420208
Kreuzberger wrote:
youngian wrote:
Found that on this site with Mailwatchers will enjoy

http://www.pointlessletters.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This must be one of us. Maybe I have been pissed-posting again?

Image
That really annoys me - and only ever at coffee shops.
I always feel like introducing myself, asking them whether they're from New York or California and asking if they know Kim Kardashian.
#420209
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:The reason for being a pendant about this is that words have specific, and often fine, meanings. To have and to be are quite different things, but if we keep blurring them we will lose the distinction, and accurate use of language will be more difficult.

We used to have two words, with different meanings, both useful.

Dissect [dis-sect]- to forensically disassemble;
Bisect [bi-sect] - to halve an angle or mathematical representation.

They collided, and now we have [di-sect] and bisect is going out of use.

Language evolves, but is should evolve towards greater, not lesser precision.
Fuck Yeah!!
 
By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#420225
Bones McCoy wrote:
Kreuzberger wrote:
youngian wrote:
Found that on this site with Mailwatchers will enjoy

http://www.pointlessletters.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This must be one of us. Maybe I have been pissed-posting again?

Image
That really annoys me - and only ever at coffee shops.
I always feel like introducing myself, asking them whether they're from New York or California and asking if they know Kim Kardashian.

See above - who the fuck says "Can I recieve a coffee?"

Care to think again?
By Agnes
Membership Days Posts
#420245
If I had my way, people talking like that wouldn't even be allowed in the shop in the first place.
Just out of interest, how would this be enforced?
#420250
Abernathy wrote: See above - who the fuck says "Can I recieve a coffee?"

Care to think again?
It did a Hemingway on that and tailed-off towards the end but yes, "Good morrow, young fellow. I wish to receive a caffeinated beverage of finest Javan provenance!" does have a faintly ridiculous ring to it.
#420252
Kreuzberger wrote:
Abernathy wrote: See above - who the fuck says "Can I recieve a coffee?"

Care to think again?
It did a Hemingway on that and tailed-off towards the end but yes, "Good morrow, young fellow. I wish to receive a caffeinated beverage of finest Javan provenance!" does have a faintly ridiculous ring to it.
Python cheese shop sketch comes to mind.
#420255
Some Murrikans ask for stuff in a demanding way as in:

Minimum wage earner in coffee shop franchise wearing ridiculous corporate uniform and terminal acne: 'Hi, my name is Dwayne, can I assist you in some way sir?'

Murrikan customer who has been watching too many action guy movies: 'Get me a coffee'.

MWE: 'Would you like milk and sugar with that sir?'

MC: <growls> 'If I wanted a sweet creamy drink I'd'a asked for one asshole. Get me a coffee'.

Makes me wonder whether the American language has picked up syntax from other European languages. Our German correspondent might be able to explain this better than me but from what I can understand when in English we will say, politely, 'Will you make me a coffee' the German would say, 'You will give me a coffee'. This gives the impression that as a nation they are a tad rude.
  • 1
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
Sundry far-right groups and parties.

But...but...Bulgaria!!!!

The LibDems, generally

Like the French Foreign Legion of legend anyone ca[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Meanwhile in Ireland, the Taoiseach Leo Varadkar h[…]

Boris Johnson

So what are the chances that another version of th[…]