For all other Mail-related topics
:thumbsup: 50 % :cry: 50 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
Abernathy wrote:A German person would surely simply politely say "Ein kaffee, bitte."
German manners are all in the the tone-of-voice and have less to do with please and thank you.

On a subtle level, a simple " 'nen Kaffee" or "ein Käffchen" said in a friendly, warm way will be received as positively as a full-strength Hugh Laurie monologue.
For fuck's sake he's just lost his son he doesn't need what should be a private moment plastered all over the papers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... n-Gap.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Singer Nick Cave and his wife Susie today visited the Sussex cliff where their 15-year-old son fell 60ft to his death in what is believed to be a tragic accident.
As much as I hate the mail, this is a genuine public interest story and I don't have a problem with the way in which they have covered the story.

Nick Cave is a cultural fulcrum for millions and it is neither surprising nor wrong that people want to know the back story and go some way to understanding the circumstances of his boy's death.
Did Solent actually pap them though?

That would suggest in-yer-face, aggressive photography whilst these shots look to be from quite some distance. I doubt too that that Cave and partner were barged past to get the flowers shot.

It raises the question again though of what constitutes being given some space to come to terms with what has happened. Should a public figure be allowed to effectively demand a news blackout?
By mojojojo
Membership Days Posts
It says something about their readers, doesn't it? Why would people want to see that?

When I read about Cave's son I felt awful for him. But because I've got a couple of his records doesn't mean I feel the need to see him cry over his dead son. It's none of my business. That's why I don't hang around funerals for people I don't know.
Any other kid who died in this way would have only merited a front page in the local newspaper, that's assuming it isn't the local Vegetable and Flower Show Week where it would have been pushed inside the paper. He is only in the national press because he is the son of someone who has some celebrity status.

HERE LIES THE BODY OF
ARTHUR, THE SON OF
NICK CAVE
WHO DIDN'T LOOK
DISTRESSED ENOUGH
TO BE HONEST,
IS HE HIDING SOMETHING?
Daley Mayle wrote:Any other kid who died in this way would have only merited a front page in the local newspaper, that's assuming it isn't the local Vegetable and Flower Show Week where it would have been pushed inside the paper. He is only in the national press because he is the son of someone who has some celebrity status.

HERE LIES THE BODY OF
ARTHUR, THE SON OF
NICK CAVE
WHO DIDN'T LOOK
DISTRESSED ENOUGH
TO BE HONEST,
IS HE HIDING SOMETHING?
'kinell Daley, you're on fire, this merry Monday morn!
Who needs the DM when the Times is around: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/j ... ts-readers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Times newspaper has removed an article about singer Nick Cave from its website following complaints on social media that it intruded into the singer’s grief at his son’s death.

The newspaper conceded the story, headlined “Let your children feel fear, Cave urged before son’s death”, was “inappropriate” but has yet to issue a public apology.
Boris Johnson

Ripped the timetable out of his hands and shoved[…]

The Sun

THE SUN SAYS Us Brits aren’t negotiating wi[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

As if to drive home the point. I was in Cork for […]

Jeremy Corbyn.

Basically the GFA is the single greatest achieveme[…]