•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:53 pm
For the avoidance of doubt in case anyone's uncertain, it's pronounced "Wiz-beach".

We also have another name designed to catch outsiders, townies and other low forms of life out: Quy.
I moved to the north side two months ago which is Walsoken and I’ve yet to established the correct pronunciation. It isn’t a toilet and Wisbech needs three things to improve it; a by-pass, rail link and a decent sized park. Strangely it has a lot of rugby fields and I doubt many players live in Wisbech.

Kings Lynn is a member of the Hanseatic League. Who knew it still existed?
https://www.hanse.org/en/hanseatic-cities/kings_lynn/

By Boiler
youngian wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:20 pm
I moved to the north side two months ago which is Walsoken and I’ve yet to established the correct pronunciation. It isn’t a toilet and Wisbech needs three things to improve it; a by-pass, rail link and a decent sized park. Strangely it has a lot of rugby fields and I doubt many players live in Wisbech.

Kings Lynn is a member of the Hanseatic League. Who knew it still existed?
https://www.hanse.org/en/hanseatic-cities/kings_lynn/
I didn't know the Hanseatic League still existed, but I knew Lynn was a very old port town that was part of it.

Wisbech (I've seen it with the 'a' in it, for all I know it may be a railway spelling) had a spur line to it which has had numerous attempts to revive it as the "Bramley Line" - but IIRC the line from March has been severed by the removal of the level crossing. I also thought the A47 was the bypass...

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:02 am
I didn't know the Hanseatic League still existed, but I knew Lynn was a very old port town that was part of it.

Wisbech (I've seen it with the 'a' in it, for all I know it may be a railway spelling) had a spur line to it which has had numerous attempts to revive it as the "Bramley Line" - but IIRC the line from March has been severed by the removal of the level crossing. I also thought the A47 was the bypass...

Only if you're heading for Norfolk but the heavy traffic heading north still passes through Wisbech. The Bramley Line is back on the agenda and is dependent on a junction upgrade at Ely. On the town's discussion board Mr Gammon informed me that its a waste of money; "I once said if something is a good idea then why don't you invest in it yourself?" Good job you only said it once, instead of looking like a twat.
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:11 am
Martin Brundle was born in Kings Lynn, but their Wiki page ignores him - he's probably too interesting.
Speedway and banger racing legend Barry Lee is also from that neck of the woods.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:47 am
Boiler wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:02 am

Only if you're heading for Norfolk but the heavy traffic heading north still passes through Wisbech. The Bramley Line is back on the agenda and is dependent on a junction upgrade at Ely. On the town's discussion board Mr Gammon informed me that its a waste of money; "I once said if something is a good idea then why don't you invest in it yourself?" Good job you only said it once, instead of looking like a twat.
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:11 am
Martin Brundle was born in Kings Lynn, but their Wiki page ignores him - he's probably too interesting.
Speedway and banger racing legend Barry Lee is also from that neck of the woods.
Barry Lee used to live next door to my mate Phil when he rode for Hackney.
He ran / sponsored or lent his name to a garage a couple of doors down the road.

I wouldn't be surprise if the Hanseatic league isn't ticking over in some form or another.
Many of these ancient institutions are still ticking over as charitable institutions or exclusive drinking/social clubs for the minor European nobility.

I've probably told this before, but I was quite surprised to cycle past the headquarters of the Order of Teutonic Knights during a road trip to Utrecht.
A bit of research and I found the order had disarmed and gone religious, then split during the German reformation - the protestant branch then moving to Utrecht.

Of course, such things are manna form heaven for conspiracy theorists.
What could be better, a minor offshoot of a once mighty organisation, thriving in plain sight.
But what really happens under their guise of "doing a bit of charidee".

By Samanfur
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I was particularly impressed by:
He said there are more than nine reindeer on the site when you include the decor and the advert for the event never stipulated nine live ones.

"It was never said there would be nine live reindeer", said Mike. "Maybe we are at fault [if people thought that] but it wasn't done in any way to dupe people."
"Boris" Johnson

Johnson is claiming that he is the first Europea[…]

Ashamed to be English

This bodes well for UK citizens living in EU cou[…]

Roll Call

Nothing much more that I can add from whatever eve[…]

Marina Hyde - woman of fire

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan[…]