For all other Mail-related topics
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
 
By youngian
Membership Days Posts
#290957
This is often asked of celebrities with drink and drug problems. Here they ask Corrie actress Helen Flanagan; "Does she ever learn?"

Ms Flanagan's sin is apparently going out with a fake tan when she is due to present a slot on a mid morning programme tomorrow-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... debut.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently Helen, 22, like Charlotte Church before her should be sent to bed early. In fact any women enjoying themselves are a bit suspect.

Actually that's unfair here they ask if middle aged man George Michael wil ever learn-
Will George Michael ever learn his lesson? 25 joints a day and a career on the ropes...but don't expect him to say he's sorry
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2LQujgSff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeh, how dare these celebrities not beg on their knees for the mercy of the tabloids anymore.
 
By ezinra
Membership Days Posts
#290980
It must be weird, as a multimillionaire singer, to be patronised by one of the Mail's work experience bots who is probably straight out of university and has done the joints and the drinking without any of the hard work and acclaim. Similarly, Helen Flanagan may be surprised that the Mail's showbiz team are often found boasting about their hangovers on twitter, little concerned that they won't be able to accomplish their no-less-important work.

These stories are all about inciting envy. Look, Mailite! This famous person is getting paid lots of money to do a glamorous job, yet still finds the time to go out and have fun or get off his face. Meanwhile you, dear Mailite, are stuck in a boring job earning a pittance and you spend your evenings doing sudoku or slumped in your chair in front of Watchdog on the telly. Isn't it unjust? Go on, Mailite, let these celebrities know how much you loathe them! The talentless, overpaid, irrelevant, self-important, hedonistic, fun-loving, successful, attractive, healthy, fulfilled, probably joyful bastards. How fucking dare they?!!!!!?
 
By youngian
Membership Days Posts
#290982
ezinra wrote:These stories are all about inciting envy. Look, Mailite! This famous person is getting paid lots of money to do a glamorous job, yet still finds the time to go out and have fun or get off his face. Meanwhile you, dear Mailite, are stuck in a boring job earning a pittance and you spend your evenings doing sudoku or slumped in your chair in front of Watchdog on the telly. Isn't it unjust? Go on, Mailite, let these celebrities know how much you loathe them! The talentless, overpaid, irrelevant, self-important, hedonistic, fun-loving, successful, attractive, healthy, fulfilled, probably joyful bastards. How fucking dare they?!!!!!?
Its not just celebrities either but any person who dares to stay up all night in Ibizia or in a rave in a field somewhere (showing my age but you get the point)
 
By ezinra
Membership Days Posts
#290985
Its not just celebrities either but any person who dares to stay up all night in Ibizia or in a rave in a field somewhere (showing my age but you get the point)
Aye, there's an element of: "Fun? You'll grow out of it." And anyone who, like George Michael, refuses to, is an embarrassing old codger on a fast-track to a hideous, early death.
 
By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
#290988
ezinra wrote: These stories are all about inciting envy. Look, Mailite! This famous person is getting paid lots of money to do a glamorous job, yet still finds the time to go out and have fun or get off his face. Meanwhile you, dear Mailite, are stuck in a boring job earning a pittance and you spend your evenings doing sudoku or slumped in your chair in front of Watchdog on the telly. Isn't it unjust? Go on, Mailite, let these celebrities know how much you loathe them! The talentless, overpaid, irrelevant, self-important, hedonistic, fun-loving, successful, attractive, healthy, fulfilled, probably joyful bastards. How fucking dare they?!!!!!?

Nailed it. Attractive females get it the worst.

Sometimes the vitriol, very personal insults and pure unadulterated hatred aimed at the targets by the Mailites is quite unnerving. It really is outright rage and bitterness oozing through the screen. It does make you wonder just how miserable these peoples lives are for them to have so much pent up aggression towards someone like Helen bloody Flanagan.
 
By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
#290993
And the dogwhistle works...
Just an idiot ..... why on Earth is she a 'celebrity'? Even the Z-listers must find it insulting!!

- HelluvaMess , Oxford, United Kingdom, 20/2/2013 12:08
Why is she a celebrity? She's an actress, Helluva. She was, for many years, a star of Coronation Street. It's a popular television programme. Maybe you have heard of it?
By sporran
Membership Days Posts
#290995
oboogie wrote:And the dogwhistle works...
Just an idiot ..... why on Earth is she a 'celebrity'? Even the Z-listers must find it insulting!!

- HelluvaMess , Oxford, United Kingdom, 20/2/2013 12:08
Why is she a celebrity? She's an actress, Helluva. She was, for many years, a star of Coronation Street. It's a popular television programme. Maybe you have heard of it?
Those comments are even more irritating when they manifest themselves in the form of "WHO IS HELEN FLANAGAN PLEASE?"
 
By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
#291012
Exactly Safe Timber Man.
I hold no brief for Miss Flanagan, I've never seen her act as I've not watched Coronation Street for over ten years and I know nothing about her except what The Mail has told me. But, afaik, Coronation Street remains the most watched programme on UK TV, therefore anyone who appears in it is "a name" in millions of households throughout the land. Unlike so many of the slebs who frequent the sidebar of shame.

If appearing three nights a week in the nation's most popular programme doesn't qualify as celebrity status then what the hell does?
 
By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
#291015
It's similar to models. Mailites doesn't understand the concept of modeling and don't see it as a real job. Again though, it's generally only female celebrities/models, and attractive ones. If there was an article about a young male Eastenders actor, or a male model for an aftershave, there wouldn't be half as many vitriolic comments about what a waste of space they are and how they need to get a real job. More often than not the vitriolic comments are from women. Make of that what you will.
By sporran
Membership Days Posts
#291023
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:Is there a name for someone who opens an article they claim they aren't interested in and leaves a comment to tell people they aren't interested in it? It's very strange behavior which is displayed in early every celebrity article.
"Wanker" would probably suffice ;)

I think it's just a form of attention-seeking though isn't it. It's also widely found on the BBC Sport site if you go onto any story that has made its way onto the main page but isn't about football, cricket or F1.
 
By ezinra
Membership Days Posts
#291024
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:More often than not the vitriolic comments are from women. Make of that what you will.
These articles focus on the celebrities' symbolic value as feminine role models (hence the emphasis on bodies and outfits), and whether or not they fit various arbitrary ideals. Women readers, whose own self-worth is affected by their relation to those ideals, are directly implicated in the discourse: "I don't like her, she's too stupid / chavvy / frivolous / ugly / thin / talentless to represent me." It's no different from blokes in the pub discussing which footballers they identify with and disapprove of: "Oi, Barton, nooooo!"
 
By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
#291025
ezinra wrote:
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:More often than not the vitriolic comments are from women. Make of that what you will.
These articles focus on the celebrities' symbolic value as feminine role models (hence the emphasis on bodies and outfits), and whether or not they fit various arbitrary ideals. Women readers, whose own self-worth is affected by their relation to those ideals, are directly implicated in the discourse: "I don't like her, she's too stupid / chavvy / frivolous / ugly / thin / talentless to represent me." It's no different from blokes in the pub discussing which footballers they identify with and disapprove of: "Oi, Barton, nooooo!"

Would it be lazy of me to suggest it's often very much to do with jealously/bitterness and they may well be less than attractive themselves?

It reminds me of quite an unsightly woman who let rip at my ex for "flaunting herself like a dirty slut". My ex was wearing a skirt not far above the knee and a normal jumper. We didn't know who this woman was. Sometimes it seems older and/or less attractive women don't like seeing young and attractive women and it makes them a bit bitter, or perhaps reminds them of their youth when they could wear slightly more revealing clothing. Again, that could well be a lazy opinion but it's the way I see it with these venomous person insults aimed at pretty young women by Daily Mail readers.
Boris Johnson

Couldn't lipsync then, either.

Michael Gove

Steady there! Fair shares for all. Hate the basta[…]

Labour, Generally.

Of course the Corbynistas would intpret this as […]

The Tories, Generally

Latest rebranding of No Deal. George Eustice. &quo[…]