•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
I'd be surprised if the Mail doesn't pick up on that guffest with so many boxes ticked; BBC, Frankie Boyle, insulting royalty and our boys before D-Day commerations and a too clever by half Oxbridge comedian. Who is also married to a woman far smarter and more popular than Jan Moir and Amanda Platell.

By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote: So desperate is this article the Maily Telegraph had to resort to getting a quote off Tebbit
“It’s par for the course from the BBC and they just simply don’t discipline their people against profanity, against obscenity or sheer bad taste. The BBC is essentially left-wing and this shows they are particularly unpleasant in many ways, in their arrogance and detestation of anyone who disagrees with them.”
Tebbit doesn't do irony, does he?

By Daley Mayle
The play ... featured David Mitchell as a frustrated playwright turned theatre owner, accused of carrying out the IRA’s murder of Lord Mountbatten, off the coast of Ireland.
Mitchell’s character Felix claims that in fact the naval officer drowned after losing his legs in terrorist attack carried out by British special forces.
Asked if he murdered the royal, his character replies: “No, they tried to pin it on me but technically speaking he drowned; very difficult to tread water with no legs.”
The show also included thinly-veiled jokes about delivering a “suitcase filled with metronomes” onto Lord Mountbatten’s boat and later mounting his leg bones above their fireplace.

The historical context:
Lord Louis Mountbatten, has been killed by a bomb blast on his boat in Ireland.
One of the earl's twin grandsons, Nicholas, 14, and Paul Maxwell, 15, a local employed as a boat boy, also died in the explosion.
One man and two children blown up, oh my aching sides.

By Abernathy
Daley Mayle wrote:
The play ... featured David Mitchell as a frustrated playwright turned theatre owner, accused of carrying out the IRA’s murder of Lord Mountbatten, off the coast of Ireland.
Mitchell’s character Felix claims that in fact the naval officer drowned after losing his legs in terrorist attack carried out by British special forces.
Asked if he murdered the royal, his character replies: “No, they tried to pin it on me but technically speaking he drowned; very difficult to tread water with no legs.”
The show also included thinly-veiled jokes about delivering a “suitcase filled with metronomes” onto Lord Mountbatten’s boat and later mounting his leg bones above their fireplace.
Given the nature of the play, and In the context of the character in the play, sounds perfectly okay, if in somewhat poor taste.

The outrage does seem to me to be being oddly and unnecessarily trumpeted. There is no such thing as the right not to be offended.

By Daley Mayle
Indeed, freedom of speech and all that. Frankie 'n' Dave were 7 and 5 year old respectively at the time so it's ancient history innit?
Tebbit of course was injured in the Brighton bombing and his wife ended up in a wheelchair for life so maybe that clouded his response to the humour, miserable git that he is.

Seriously and at the risk of being accused of being po-faced I wonder at what point a tragedy can be laughed at? A lad who died of stomach cancer while raising £4m for charity? You'd better give that a few weeks. How about a bit further back, say, 1989? 96 dead Liverpool supporters? Now that's worth a few gags but I bet my pension that Frankie wouldn't dare. So maybe it's not so much about the passage of time but whether the butt of the joke would walk up to Frankie in the street and deck him.

By Timbo
I don't think you would find many people who would claim it was tasteful, appropriate, or indeed even funny. However, whether we like it or not, public figures are deemed to be more socially acceptable figures of fun or unpleasant ridicule.
The Sun

It's one of life's great ironies that the more pri[…]

Boris Johnson

Don't you think it's possible to educate people?[…]

Momentum

Well worth a read: https://medium.com/@d4nf0x/sta[…]

Roll Call

Lyrics from a popular Mancunian four-piece beat co[…]