•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
UK weather POLAR FREEZE: Britain to get SNOW NEXT WEEK as icy Arctic gales blast in

BRITAIN is about to freeze with sub-zero temperatures, frosts and even snow forecast NEXT WEEK.

By NATHAN RAO
10:43, Tue, Oct 24, 2017 | UPDATED: 11:30, Tue, Oct 24, 2017
http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/8 ... atest-news" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Para 19
“There is also a chance of snow over high ground in Scotland, and perhaps at lower levels in the far north as the wind turns northerly.”
Or, anything below 8° in the central belt and the peaks in the western highlands will get a dusting.

By Boiler
I was thinking as I was driving earlier that it is this weekend the clocks go back and we return to GMT again.

I'm perfectly happy with this biannual ritual but I know many aren't. What I want to know is how many people are going to try and work 'leaving the EU' into this. Maybe if we point out to the usual suspects "but you'll be on the same time zone as Berlin if you keep an hour ahead at all times?" would work?

By Boiler
Kreuzberger wrote:"Berlin Time" is and always has been bollocks. We, and the rest of most of western Europe, also go back on Sunday. We'll still be an hour ahead, albeit only chronologically.
The whine was always about "but I want longer evenings in the summer when I get home!" hence wanting the return of the failed Double Summer Time experiment.

Considering some of my 'nice' middle-class neighbours like to stand around outside the fronts of their houses drinking beer and talking/laughing noisily - invariably when I have an early start the next day - I want the dark and I want the bastards inside, in fact I'd prefer it if we were on GMT all year around just so I can get some sleep!

<curmudgeon mode = 'off'>
I have never understood this film/telly fetish of starting at some ungodly hour as a matter of course. My daughter's mother is a doc producer and I never got a satisfactory explanation - not that I wanted one, just an extra three hours' kip.

Yes, if you need to shoot pigeons in slo-mo in the half-light at St. Mark's, fill yer boots. Otherwise, be like normal people. A coffee, a fag and a fumble, and you're good to go at the crack of ten.
Boiler wrote:
Kreuzberger wrote:"Berlin Time" is and always has been bollocks. We, and the rest of most of western Europe, also go back on Sunday. We'll still be an hour ahead, albeit only chronologically.
The whine was always about "but I want longer evenings in the summer when I get home!" hence wanting the return of the failed Double Summer Time experiment.

Considering some of my 'nice' middle-class neighbours like to stand around outside the fronts of their houses drinking beer and talking/laughing noisily - invariably when I have an early start the next day - I want the dark and I want the bastards inside, in fact I'd prefer it if we were on GMT all year around just so I can get some sleep!

<curmudgeon mode = 'off'>
It'll be dark at about half four in the afternoon, so weekday trade will be done and dusted for me by about 1600. At least until the Winterval parties start, I might get back under a 50 hr work week for a while.
It's basically "people can't be arsed to do it so blame foreigners for having to".

The classic Mailite fallback.

By Boiler
Kreuzberger wrote:I have never understood this film/telly fetish of starting at some ungodly hour as a matter of course. My daughter's mother is a doc producer and I never got a satisfactory explanation - not that I wanted one, just an extra three hours' kip.
These days, my days start at either 7.30 or 8.30, and are between ten and fourteen hours long. Yesterday was a 13:45 start and I was away at 0:45. Unfortunately this meant several miles of diversions off the dual carriageway - meaning it takes longer to get home in the dead of night than it does in the day.

Ah well, my choice...
So it's hot and sunny. You know what that means:

Idiotic youngsters are filmed 'tombstoning' 65ft from Dead Man's Cove cliff 18 months after a man plunged to his death at the same spot
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... today.html

Let's find something to get angry about!

I'm always a bit taken aback seeing a national newspaper branding random members of the public "idiotic" like that.
Young and carefree - idiotic.

Old and carefree - life in the old dog yet, two fingers to the elf and safety brigade etc.
The Tories, Generally

Imagine living in a world where IDS, Howard and […]

Yes, a quick read of Evelyn Waugh backs that up.[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Christ, Jenkyns is dim.

Boris Johnson

Old Tories loved the church because of its char[…]